Hotel Room Cooking--How Common is It?

Old December 27th, 2007, 01:41 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Marsha[_2_]

Default Hotel Room Cooking--How Common is It?

BrianK wrote:
On 12/26/2007 3:39 PM CalifBill did the "neutron dance", then made
these writings:
"Rog'" wrote in message
. ..

wrote:
I'd say that everyone I saw looked financially able to eat at the
hotel restaurants. There were low-priced fast food restaurants
on the bottom floor, as well as many low-priced restaurants nearby...

In some cases, it may be due to peculiar dietary needs which cannot
always be met by commercial restaurants. Or the guest may simply
be cheap... although they could save even more at a campground.

Maybe they want healthier, less salty food.

Salt-Free healthy restaurants do exist in most large towns. Some are
completely vegetarian.

I prefer making my own meals, when traveling by car. Not just because
it's less expensive than eating out, but it's more convenient,
healthier, and I get exactly what I want, when I want it, the way I like
it, without any hassle.

Marsha/Ohio

Old December 27th, 2007, 02:11 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
SMS 斯蒂文• 夏

Marsha wrote:
BrianK wrote:
On 12/26/2007 3:39 PM CalifBill did the "neutron dance", then made
these writings:
"Rog'" wrote in message
. ..

wrote:
I'd say that everyone I saw looked financially able to eat at the
hotel restaurants. There were low-priced fast food restaurants
on the bottom floor, as well as many low-priced restaurants nearby...

In some cases, it may be due to peculiar dietary needs which cannot
always be met by commercial restaurants. Or the guest may simply
be cheap... although they could save even more at a campground.

Maybe they want healthier, less salty food.

Salt-Free healthy restaurants do exist in most large towns. Some are
completely vegetarian.

I prefer making my own meals, when traveling by car. Not just because
it's less expensive than eating out, but it's more convenient,
healthier, and I get exactly what I want, when I want it, the way I like
it, without any hassle.

Marsha/Ohio

I like eating out, but in some areas it's really impractical or too
time-consuming.

In the morning we want to get going, and either eat in the hotel room or
in the car. After skiing we often don't want to get cleaned up then go
out again to eat, and it's too early to eat when we finish skiing. Often
we'll stop at a store on the way back to the hotel to buy prepared deli
food, but it's really not very healthy.

I think I'm going to become like some of the people I saw this past
weekend, and bring along enough cooking stuff to prepare simple meals in
the room.

This is some of the stuff I've seen that would seem to work:

Walgreen's Kitchen Gourmet 3 Cup Rice Cooker
"http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=302575&navAction=jump&navCount=2 &skuid=sku461205&id=prod461205"

Walgreen's Kitchen Gourmet 32 ounce Electric Hot Pot
"http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=302575&navAction=jump&navCount=2 &skuid=sku383236&id=prod383235"

Walgreen's Kitchen Gourmet 1.5 Quart Crock Pot
"http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=302575&navAction=jump&navCount=2 &skuid=sku367100&id=prod367099"

Walgreen's Kitchen Gourmet 4 Cup Coffee Maker
"http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100472&navAction=jump&navCount=2 &skuid=sku350546&id=prod350545"

Rival Fold 'N Store Griddle
"http://www.target.com/Rival-Fold-n-Store-Griddle-GRF405/dp/B000NGM06I/sr=1-1/qid=1198621665/ref=sr_1_1/602-8285296-5759016?ie=UTF8&index=target&rh=k:GRF405&page=1"

Hamilton Beach StepSavor Skillet/Griddle - 38500
"http://www.target.com/Hamilton-Beach-StepSavor-Skillet-Griddle/dp/B00004X132/sr=1-1/qid=1198658448/ref=sr_1_1/602-8285296-5759016?ie=UTF8&index=target&rh=k:38500&page=1"

Aroma 3-in-1 Mini Toaster Oven, Griddle, & Coffeemaker
"http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2403231"

Avanti Bake & Broil Oven with 2-Disk Burner - TFL-11
"http://www.target.com/Avanti-Bake-Broil-2-Disk-Burner/dp/B0002ONJ3E/sr=1-1/qid=1198686004/ref=sr_1_1/602-8285296-5759016?ie=UTF8&index=target&rh=k:tfl-11&page=1"

General Electric JES735WJ Microwave
"http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02073112000P?keyword=JES735WJ&sLevel =0&sid=ISx20070515x00001a"

32 Liter Thermo-Electric Cooler Bag
"http://www.amazon.com/12V-Thermoelectric-Cooler-Travel-Bag/dp/B000GWKHRS"

Old December 27th, 2007, 02:37 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sharx35

"CalifBill" wrote in message

"BrianK" wrote in message
On 12/26/2007 3:39 PM CalifBill did the "neutron dance", then made these
writings:
"Rog'" wrote in message
. ..

--
________
Brian M. Kochera "Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once!"

But easier to make a couple of healthy meals in your kitchenette.

Cheap *******s like Calif Bill don't realize that part of being on a TRUE
vacation is NOT, repeat NOT having to make meals.

Old December 27th, 2007, 03:16 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Marsha[_2_]

sharx35 wrote:
Cheap *******s like Calif Bill don't realize that part of being on a TRUE
vacation is NOT, repeat NOT having to make meals.

Not at all. It's a matter of priorities. If I can go on an extra city
tour or spend more days on the road on vacation by fixing my own food in
the hotel room, it's a tradeoff that is well worth it. Food is not the
most important thing to everyone when they are on vacation.

Marsha/Ohio

Old December 27th, 2007, 03:26 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
SMS 斯蒂文• 夏

sharx35 wrote:

Cheap *******s like Calif Bill don't realize that part of being on a TRUE
vacation is NOT, repeat NOT having to make meals.

I find eating every meal in a restaurant to be less relaxing than eating
on the balcony of the hotel room, or in a communal kitchen.

This past winter we went to Banff and stayed in a cabin at the hostel,
which was next to the main building that had a communal kitchen. You get
to meet other travelers, and it's more relaxing than dealing with crowds
at restaurants. Plus, the food in Alberta restaurants is not
particularly memorable, and many don't allow children (they are
permitted to allow either smoking or children, and most choose smoking).

Now in a place like San Francisco, with so many good and reasonably
priced restaurants, it's a different story entirely. I'd never bother
cooking in San Francisco, and even many locals feel the same way.
Old December 27th, 2007, 04:11 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sharx35

"Marsha" wrote in message ...
sharx35 wrote:
Cheap *******s like Calif Bill don't realize that part of being on a TRUE
vacation is NOT, repeat NOT having to make meals.

Not at all. It's a matter of priorities. If I can go on an extra city
tour or spend more days on the road on vacation by fixing my own food in
the hotel room, it's a tradeoff that is well worth it. Food is not the
most important thing to everyone when they are on vacation.

Marsha/Ohio

Food and sex are the biggies. Everything else pales in comparison.

Old December 27th, 2007, 04:12 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sharx35

"SMS ???. ?" wrote in message
sharx35 wrote:

Cheap *******s like Calif Bill don't realize that part of being on a TRUE
vacation is NOT, repeat NOT having to make meals.

I find eating every meal in a restaurant to be less relaxing than eating
on the balcony of the hotel room, or in a communal kitchen.

A communal kitchen is relaxing? Yeah, right.

This past winter we went to Banff and stayed in a cabin at the hostel,
which was next to the main building that had a communal kitchen. You get
to meet other travelers, and it's more relaxing than dealing with crowds
at restaurants. Plus, the food in Alberta restaurants is not particularly
memorable, and many don't allow children (they are permitted to allow
either smoking or children, and most choose smoking).

D'oh, I wonder why. Children are, all too often, a major pain in the ass in
restaurants.

Old December 27th, 2007, 05:25 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jim Davis[_1_]

On Dec 26, 7:37*pm, "sharx35" wrote:
"CalifBill" wrote in message

"BrianK" wrote in message
On 12/26/2007 3:39 PM *CalifBill did the "neutron dance", then made these
writings:
"Rog'" wrote in message
et...

wrote:
I'd say that everyone I saw looked financially able to eat at the
hotel restaurants. There were low-priced fast food restaurants
on the bottom floor, as well as many low-priced restaurants nearby....

In some cases, it may be due to peculiar dietary needs which cannot
always be met by commercial restaurants. *Or the guest may simply
be cheap... although they could save even more at a campground.

Maybe they want healthier, less salty food.

Salt-Free healthy restaurants do exist in most large towns. *Some are
completely vegetarian.

--
________
To *email me, Edit "blog" from my email address.
*Brian M. Kochera *"Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once!"
View My Web Page:http://home.earthlink.net/~brian1951

But easier to make a couple of healthy meals in your kitchenette.

Cheap *******s like Calif Bill don't realize that part of being on a TRUE
vacation *is NOT, repeat NOT having to make meals.

Not all of us are on vacation. I usually get a fridg. & microwave in
my rooms. I shop to last me 4 or 5 days, and cook & eat in my room.
After 40 yrs of travel, I'm sick of sitting in restruants. Besides, I
usually work 12 to 16 hour days, and after a shower, I don't feel like
going back out.
Old December 27th, 2007, 05:32 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jim Davis[_1_]

On Dec 26, 1:11*pm, "Rog'" wrote:
wrote:
I'd say that everyone I saw looked financially able to eat at the
hotel restaurants. There were low-priced fast food restaurants
on the bottom floor, as well as many low-priced restaurants nearby...

In some cases, it may be due to peculiar dietary needs which cannot
always be met by commercial restaurants. *Or the guest may simply
be cheap... although they could save even more at a campground.

"Cheap" might not be the word for it in some cases. When I'm out on a
two to four week stretch, three meals a day can get damn expensive
eating out. It's more relaxing in the room too. Besides, Denny's
frowns on me eating breakfast in front of their TV, in my underwear.