who kows the correct anwer II?

Old August 23rd, 2004, 06:20 AM
maxi

Default who kows the correct anwer II?

is it true that the stars we see at night in the northern hemisphere are
totally different then the ones we see in the southern hemisphere?

Max

Old August 23rd, 2004, 06:50 AM
Peter Webb

"maxi" wrote in message
is it true that the stars we see at night in the northern hemisphere are
totally different then the ones we see in the southern hemisphere?

Max

Not quite true.

From the equator, you can see all stars at some time. From the North and
South Poles, you can only ever see half of the stars. From lattitude (say)
40 degrees North, you can see all stars at some time except those within 40
degrees of the South clestial pole (the spot in the sky directly over the
South Pole).

So nobody in the Southern hemisphere can ever see the Pole star (bacause it
lies at the North celestial pole), and nobody more than 10 dgrees North of
the equator can ever see the Southern Cross - because it lies near the South
Celestial Pole. The stars and constellations in the middle can be seen by
almost everybody.

Complicating this is that most people are more familiar with the stars and
constellations visible during summer, as fewer people are out at night in
Winter. So Orion, which is a huge constellation visible from almost
everywhere, is up in summer in the Southern Hemisphere, but its a winter
constellation in the Northern Hemisphere - so its far more familiar to
people in Australia than people in the US, even though its visisble from
both places.

The bottom line is that you probably won't recognise any stars or
constellations in the Southern Hemisphere - I don't recognise any when I go
to the Northern Hemisphere, and am interested in astronomy.

Old August 23rd, 2004, 09:13 AM
Jim

"maxi" wrote in message
| is it true that the stars we see at night in the northern hemisphere are
| totally different then the ones we see in the southern hemisphere?
|
| Max

Silly question! A road runs NS anywhere in the world. Houses each side,
trees etc;..........Look from N S Then the other end S N. different image
but the same houses and trees etc.;........... Compared to your question
they are not totally different. Just another perspective.
Please, no more junk mate!

Jim.....................

Old August 23rd, 2004, 03:14 PM
Peter Webb

"Jim" JimJam@Jim wrote in message
u...

"maxi" wrote in message
| is it true that the stars we see at night in the northern hemisphere are
| totally different then the ones we see in the southern hemisphere?
|
| Max

Silly question! A road runs NS anywhere in the world. Houses each side,
trees etc;..........Look from N S Then the other end S N. different

image
but the same houses and trees etc.;........... Compared to your question
they are not totally different. Just another perspective.
Please, no more junk mate!

Jim.....................

You are wrong:

If you live in the Northern Hemisphe

Umm, so can you see the Southern Cross from where you are?
And the Magellenic Clouds - named after Magellan, the first European to
cross the equator and hence the first European to see them, can you see them
from where you are?

If you live in the Southern Hemisphe

Umm, can you see the Pole star from where you are?

Old August 23rd, 2004, 03:17 PM
maxi

Junk?

Just a normal (in your opinion"silly") question. we had a discussion last
night with friends, and no one knew the right answer.

Not everybody is so clever as You jim

"Jim" JimJam@Jim schreef in bericht
u...

Old August 23rd, 2004, 09:21 PM
G Bolger

and water goes the opposite way too - true!

Old August 24th, 2004, 01:53 AM
Jim

"G Bolger" wrote in message
| and water goes the opposite way too - true!
|

| "maxi" wrote in message
| Junk?
|
| Just a normal (in your opinion"silly") question. we had a discussion
last
| night with friends, and no one knew the right answer.
|
| Not everybody is so clever as You jim
|

| "Jim" JimJam@Jim schreef in bericht
| u...
|
| "maxi" wrote in message
| | is it true that the stars we see at night in the northern hemisphere
| are
| | totally different then the ones we see in the southern hemisphere?
| |
| | Max
|

| Silly question! A road runs NS anywhere in the world. Houses each
side,
| trees etc;..........Look from N S Then the other end S N. different
| image
| but the same houses and trees etc.;........... Compared to your
question
| they are not totally different. Just another perspective.
| Please, no more junk mate!

Just stirring it along a little ..........seems to be working.
Jim