who kows the correct anwer II?

Old August 24th, 2004, 03:19 AM
Peter Webb

"maxi" wrote in message
Junk?

Just a normal (in your opinion"silly") question. we had a discussion last
night with friends, and no one knew the right answer.

Not everybody is so clever as You jim

And just for the record, Jim is wrong as well. You do see different stars in
the Southern Hemisphere than you can from the Northern Hemisphere.

Old August 24th, 2004, 10:04 PM
www.poms.co.uk

"maxi" wrote in message
is it true that the stars we see at night in the northern hemisphere are
totally different then the ones we see in the southern hemisphere?

Max

Yep its true.

www.poms.co.uk

Old August 26th, 2004, 12:56 AM
Ian Hutchby

Peter Webb wrote:

"maxi" wrote in message

is it true that the stars we see at night in the northern hemisphere are
totally different then the ones we see in the southern hemisphere?

Max

Not quite true.

From the equator, you can see all stars at some time. From the North and
South Poles, you can only ever see half of the stars. From lattitude (say)
40 degrees North, you can see all stars at some time except those within 40
degrees of the South clestial pole (the spot in the sky directly over the
South Pole).

So nobody in the Southern hemisphere can ever see the Pole star (bacause it
lies at the North celestial pole), and nobody more than 10 dgrees North of
the equator can ever see the Southern Cross - because it lies near the South
Celestial Pole. The stars and constellations in the middle can be seen by
almost everybody.

Complicating this is that most people are more familiar with the stars and
constellations visible during summer, as fewer people are out at night in
Winter. So Orion, which is a huge constellation visible from almost
everywhere, is up in summer in the Southern Hemisphere, but its a winter
constellation in the Northern Hemisphere - so its far more familiar to
people in Australia than people in the US, even though its visisble from
both places.

The bottom line is that you probably won't recognise any stars or
constellations in the Southern Hemisphere - I don't recognise any when I go
to the Northern Hemisphere, and am interested in astronomy.

Just to quickly add to this, the most off putting thing that you will
find when you come to the southern hemisphere is that the constellations
and moon appear to be upside down compared to when viewed from the
north. For example when I lived in the UK and looked at Orion the sword
part of the constellation hung down towards the horizon, but from here
in NZ the sword appears to stick upwards (away from the horizon) Also
watching the phases of the moon going back to front is strange at first.

Ian

Old August 26th, 2004, 01:24 AM
Ian Hutchby

Ian Hutchby wrote:

Peter Webb wrote:

"maxi" wrote in message

is it true that the stars we see at night in the northern hemisphere are
totally different then the ones we see in the southern hemisphere?

Max

Not quite true.

From the equator, you can see all stars at some time. From the North and
[...]

Just thought of another couple of points. (This is how I explained a
couple of things to my Mum the other week when I took out my telescope
to show her the southern skies) In the UK which is approx 50 degrees N
the stars which are directly overhead will only just skim the northern
horizon here in NZ (approx 40 degrees S) and vice versa so all those
stars which are located between the northern horizon (here in NZ or
southern horizon in the UK) and the point directly overhead will be
common to both (examples being most of the constellations that make up
the zodiac, and Orion). Those on the other side of directly overhead
will not be visible in the opposite location (examples being Ursa Major
(the plough or big dipper) in the northern hemishere and Crux (or the
Southern Cross) in the southern hemisphere)

Old August 26th, 2004, 02:20 AM
Terry Russell

"Ian Hutchby" wrote in message

Just to quickly add to this, the most off putting thing that you will
find when you come to the southern hemisphere is that the constellations
and moon appear to be upside down compared to when viewed from the
north. For example when I lived in the UK and looked at Orion the sword
part of the constellation hung down towards the horizon, but from here
in NZ the sword appears to stick upwards (away from the horizon) Also
watching the phases of the moon going back to front is strange at first.

Everything is going the correct way.
From the South the water in the bath, tides, the earth spin,
earths orbit, the moons orbit, the suns rotation,
our orbit in the galaxy and the galaxy itself go clockwise.
At the atomic level the universe is dominantly right handed
and clockwise, but some retrograde people from down north
thought they knew better despite all the evidence.
Viewed from OZ the water in the UK also goes clockwise.

;-)
not self centred when you see the world from our point of view
http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/t...us/pacific.jpg

The stars are the same, you just see them differently.

Old August 26th, 2004, 01:22 PM
A Mate

Who Cares???

A great number less than you obviously believe!!