Downloading memory card from digital camera in Australia

Old December 18th, 2004, 03:32 AM
Wheels

Default Downloading memory card from digital camera in Australia

I just bought a digital camera. I'm debating whether to buy 256MB or
512MB SD memory card.

Normally 256MB would be more than I need, except that I'M going to
Australia for 4 weeks in a month.

Does anyone know approximately what it would cost to download say 400
pictures onto a CD?

Other considerations are how hard it would be to find a place to do it
and how long it would take. I only plan to be in any one place for a
few days at the most.

My main concern about buying a 512MB card is that I'll be putting all
my eggs in one basket. If the card malfunctions or is lost, all those
once-in-a-lifetime pictures would be lost and I'll return home with
just memories.
Any arguments for one size of card or the other would be welcomed.

Old December 18th, 2004, 04:48 AM
Peter

In article .com,
Wheels says...
I just bought a digital camera. I'm debating whether to buy 256MB or
512MB SD memory card.

Normally 256MB would be more than I need, except that I'M going to
Australia for 4 weeks in a month.

Does anyone know approximately what it would cost to download say 400
pictures onto a CD?

I don't know about commercially, but I saw one of the PCs at the
Internet Cafe at YHA Railway Square in Sydney had a card reader and CD
burner attached. $3 an hour.

Other considerations are how hard it would be to find a place to do it
and how long it would take. I only plan to be in any one place for a
few days at the most.

My main concern about buying a 512MB card is that I'll be putting all
my eggs in one basket. If the card malfunctions or is lost, all those
once-in-a-lifetime pictures would be lost and I'll return home with
just memories.

And then you get Alzheimers...

Any arguments for one size of card or the other would be welcomed.

It depends on your habits and the capacity of your camera. Personally, I
get by fine with 128meg, but I keep my laptop handy.

Old December 18th, 2004, 05:50 AM
Jack

You can download photos from card to CD at places like camera shops. There
is one chain here call Rabbit Photo. Sorry, unsure of the cost.

oups.com...

Old December 18th, 2004, 02:42 PM
Frank Slootweg

I would do *both*, i.e. distribute the pictures over more than one
memory card *and* (try to) *copy/backup* (*not* offload) the memory
cards to CDs (plural). I.e. that way you have two copies of your
pictures for most of the time. Memory cards are reliable, but not
totally reliable. Same for CDs. (I.e. it takes only one 'good' scratch
to ruin a perfectly good CD. Also think about heat, losing your luggage,
etc..)

For example I will be taking three 128MB (not-so [1]) SmartMedia cards
with me and will try to copy/backup them to CDs along the way.

BTW, there are self-contained devices (i.e. which work without a
computer) which can copy from memory cards to CD-R or hard-disk. But
these devices are rather expensive (several hundred dollars) and with
the hard-disk version, you still have a single-point-of-failure risk
(which is of course less important, but not unimportant, if you
copy/backup instead of offload). On my previous trips in the (real)
outback I would probably have bought such a device. But this time (WA),
I will be in (small) towns along the way more often, so I think I can do
without one.

[1] Apparently SmartMedia is on the way out. Would have been nice if
they had told me that when I bought the camera only 8 months ago! :-(