Gift to Americans moving to Australia.

Old January 13th, 2004, 02:05 AM
RRobin9804

Default Gift to Americans moving to Australia.

A neighbor is moving from the US to Perth for a year. What would be a good
going away gift for him and his wife? They are a mature couple (late 40's),
and he'll be there for training.

A good joke gift would be some fly spray. On a more serious note, a book of
Australian birds? When I lived down there, I was fascinated with all the
colorful parrots, kookaburras, etc. I would have appreciated a bird book to
help me name all the interesting birds you see day to day. Or perhaps an
Australian guidebook such as Lonely Planet?

Ralph R in CT USA
Old January 13th, 2004, 02:51 AM
Julie

They would probably appreciate a book on "strine". It may help them to
understand us when they get here.

Go to www.amazon.com and search for strine under books. Lots to choose
from.

Julie
Melbourne, Australia

Old January 13th, 2004, 05:03 PM
Peter L

"David Springthorpe" wrote in message
On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 01:28:02 GMT, Raffi Balmanoukian
a wrote:

I was thinking along the same lines (except plenty of seppos drink

beer) - a
good wine guide to WA, and Australia in general? Also, an

Orstrayan-English
dictionary.

Don't you men Orstrayan-American dictionary.....?

Oz-Merkin dictionary.

DS

Old January 14th, 2004, 05:33 AM

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 06:51:50 +0800, Hunter1
wrote:

Moving to Perth?? Get them a set of matching stubbie holders! 8]

Curious. What is a stubbie?

--
OK

Old January 14th, 2004, 07:25 AM
Geodyne

wrote:

Moving to Perth?? Get them a set of matching stubbie holders! 8]

Curious. What is a stubbie?

A 375 ml glass bottle of beer.

Geodyne

Old January 15th, 2004, 12:36 AM
Tom Hatfield

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 12:37:26 -0800, "Peter L"
wrote:

A neighbor is moving from the US to Perth for a year. What would be a good
going away gift for him and his wife? They are a mature couple (late 40's),
and he'll be there for training.

I would give them an application for Residency in Australia, since as
soon as they land they won't want to return to the USA. Never lived
in Perth, I only got as far as Sydney, and have never looked back.

Tom

Old January 16th, 2004, 06:17 AM
4000 psi

a book of Australian Ebonics ... for example on the first page they explain
the whole seppo thing, etc.,etc.