Koala in Australia

Old April 19th, 2004, 02:07 PM
j-p Gobert

Default Koala in Australia

hi,
Could anyone help me giving me a clue to see koala in Australia
Thanks
j-p Gobert
Ath Belgium
Old April 19th, 2004, 09:47 PM
Richard

"Geoff Lillico" wrote in
:

"Richard" wrote in message
Raffi Balmanoukian a

wrote
in
news:BCA97774.22F1A%walkabout@TAKEOUTTHETRASHTOREP LY.ns.sympatico.ca:

in article , j-p
Gobert at
wrote on 4/19/04 10:07 AM:

hi,
Could anyone help me giving me a clue to see koala in Australia
Thanks
j-p Gobert
Ath Belgium

They're elusive. Aside from the zoo, you're fairly unlikely to see

them.
You can try the koala hospital in Port Macquarrie, which is
extremely informative.

If you're in the Melbourne vicinity, visit Healesville Sanctuary. You
can see two or three koalas as well as 'roos and emus and echidnas
(echidnae?) and a bunch of other indigenous fauna. Well worth the
visit.

Kangaroo Island has so many that there are current plans to cull them!

Geoff Lillico

Heard about that. But to see them you have to 1) be in the vicinity of
Adelaide, and then 2) pay a bit to be ferried over to the island. The
Healesville Sanctuary, outside Melbourne, is easier to access I believe.
Certainly less expensive.

Don't know all the animals you can see on Kangaroo Island but since the
Sanctuary is a bit like a zoo there is every chance of seeing just about
everything. We only missed the lyre bird, which for some reason wasn't
available, and the raptors because they were building a larger public
stage for them. Other than that, all the usual beasties plus exotics such
as platypus (in a terrific nocturnal setting) and a very skittish
Tasmanian Devil (pacing eternally up and down, apparently its normal
routine).
Old April 19th, 2004, 11:19 PM
Andrew Dwyer

There are many places in SE Australia you can see koala's "in situ". If you
are travelling along the Great Ocean Road, you can visit the Brisbane Ranges
National park just outside Geelong, there are plenty there. If you camp
there you will hear them grunting all night long. Further along the Great
Ocean Road, Tower Hill Reserve in between Warrnambool and Port Fairy is a
place you will be guaranteed to see them. Also Mt. Eccles National Park is
full of them. You will certainly see them if you take one of the standard
day tours to Phillip Island south of Melbourne. Good hunting!!

Old April 20th, 2004, 02:45 AM
A Mate

In the wild - bayside suburbs of Brisbane around Redland Bay area!!

In captivity/controlled environment - Lone Pine Sanctuary - Indooroopilly,
Brisbane.

Old April 20th, 2004, 04:20 AM
AlmostBob

but wherever you go, watch out for carnivorous Drop-Bears

--

m...