what about cash?

Old April 13th, 2006, 02:39 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

Default what about cash?

Gerrit 't Hart wrote:
"artur" wrote in message
ups.com...

maybe a silly question, but are credit cards popular in OZ?
can I pay with a card in most restaurants, shops, NPs, hotels, gas
stations?
I'm particularly interested in eastern coast from Sydney up to Cooktown
+ the Great Dividing Range - how much cash do I need on me for a 3-week
journey?

are Citibank ATMs popular? which bank should I sign up with, to get an
easy cash access?

artur

One of the very few places in Australia which does not accept credit cards
(or even EFTPOS) is the pancake restaurant at the top of Elephant Pass in
Tasmania. Seeing as you are not going there you won't have any need to take
out a lot of cash.

Gerrit

A place I found where I had to pay cash was when I rented a room for the
night behind the Roadhouse pub in Lavers Hill, Victoria. However your
itinerary isn't taking you anywhere near there, so never mind.

ALV
Old June 11th, 2006, 05:39 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

artur wrote:
maybe a silly question, but are credit cards popular in OZ?
can I pay with a card in most restaurants, shops, NPs, hotels, gas
stations?
I'm particularly interested in eastern coast from Sydney up to Cooktown
+ the Great Dividing Range - how much cash do I need on me for a 3-week
journey?

are Citibank ATMs popular? which bank should I sign up with, to get an
easy cash access?

artur

Yes no worries ATM machines in most stores ,corner stores,hotels petrol
stations.Mastercard, Visa American Express.All ATMS accept all cards but
charge higher rates if you don't use say a Citibank ATM. Citibank is not
real popular in QLD. Commonwealth Bank, National or ANZ have ATMS
everywhere.
Nicole
Old June 11th, 2006, 08:19 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

Yes no worries ATM machines in most stores ,corner stores,hotels petrol
stations.Mastercard, Visa American Express.All ATMS accept all cards but
charge higher rates if you don't use say a Citibank ATM. Citibank is not
real popular in QLD. Commonwealth Bank, National or ANZ have ATMS
everywhere.

Do they have "credit unions" in OZ ?

Here in Canada they interlink on the "Exchange" network and don't charge
members from other CUs the service fee.