Travel to J-burg questions

Old June 16th, 2004, 07:13 PM
Nick

Default Travel to J-burg questions

I have to accompany my wife to J-burg (and for a few days Capetown) in
July. Here are a few questions who would rather stay in Paris, where
we are living for the summer.

1. Weather. Coats and sweaters are a must I presume?
2. Shots. Med sites list a bunch of recommended ones, but are they
really needed?
3. Visa for a US citizen? Any special passport requirements for a one
week tourism/business visit?
4. Everyone I know in the states who came from S.A. recently says
theyare glad they left and it is full of crime. Is there anything of
interest in J-burg for me to do in the city while wife is working?
5. How do we get from J-burg to Capetown?
6. Odds of being bored, getting sick, mugged, etc?

Cranky traveler.
Old June 17th, 2004, 04:46 PM
Dave Patterson

Nick wrote:

I have to accompany my wife to J-burg (and for a few days Capetown) in
July. Here are a few questions who would rather stay in Paris, where
we are living for the summer.

1. Weather. Coats and sweaters are a must I presume?

Yes. That one is easy.

2. Shots. Med sites list a bunch of recommended ones, but are they
really needed?

No shots needed or even recommended for the cities.

3. Visa for a US citizen? Any special passport requirements for a one
week tourism/business visit?

Don't mention 'business' when you enter. You'll get a 3-month
visa pasted in your passport when you arrive.

4. Everyone I know in the states who came from S.A. recently says
theyare glad they left and it is full of crime. Is there anything of
interest in J-burg for me to do in the city while wife is working?

In the city? Not much. I would read some history of the country that
describes how the white government did things, and then take one
of the tours to Soweto to see for yourself how blacks in Jo'Burg
were segregated and what it still is (and forever will be). Don't go
downtown.
Where will you be staying? In a hotel? If you have a choice,
I suggest Rosebank over Sandton. Nice, laid back, lots of sidewalk
cafes, shops. Plenty safe.

5. How do we get from J-burg to Capetown?

Several low-cost airlines. Kulula is my favorite.

6. Odds of being bored, getting sick, mugged, etc?

Being bored in Johannesburg is easy. Cape Town offers a lot
more activities and seems more comfortable to a first-time
traveler. If you have the time and $$$, I suggest going out
for a day to Gansbaai, where you can go down in a
cage and get real close to the Great White sharks. And
go out amongst the Southern Right whales that are
abundant in Walker Bay. It's a 2-hour drive each way from
Cape Town. http://www.dekelders.co.za/ is a great
'base' for activities around here.
Rent a car and spend a night or two out
of the city.. Stellenbosch is a good place for wine tours,
sampling small town life in the Western Cape.

Getting sick is almost 100% unlikely. As is getting mugged.

Old June 17th, 2004, 11:30 PM
newkiwi

Originally posted by Nick
I have to accompany my wife

to J-burg (and for a few days Capetown) in
July. Here are a few

questions who would rather stay in Paris, where
we are living for the

summer.

1. Weather. Coats and sweaters are a must I presume?

Absolutely

2. Shots. Med sites list a bunch of recommended ones,

but are they
really needed?
No

3. Visa for a US citizen? Any

special passport requirements for a one
week tourism/business visit?

You wuill need to show your onward/ return flight ticket. State tourism
as your purpose of visit

4. Everyone I know in the states who came

from S.A. recently says
theyare glad they left and it is full of

crime. Is there anything of
interest in J-burg for me to do in the

city while wife is working?
Stay away from downtown, especially areas

like Hillbrow. Prob need to hire a car, as public transport is
extremely poor. Shopping around Sandton/ Rosebank, tour to Soweto, visit
Gold Reef City. Jhb not really a touristy place, Cape Town is though.
For a week or so, you shouldnt be bored.

5. How do we get from J-

burg to Capetown?
Fly... look at kulula.com, other option is South

African Airways.

6. Odds of being bored, getting sick, mugged, etc?

Bored....not really, esp not in Cape Town
Sick....... Highly

unlikely, as likely as in Paris
Mugged......Unlikely, take the

necessary precautions, dont visit downtown Jhb if you can avoid it.

Cranky traveler.

Old June 19th, 2004, 05:10 AM
Doug

You sound like a joy to travel with. I think if i were your spouse I'd
leave you at home, at least in Paris, one of my least favorite cities
in the world.

I just returned from South Africa and it was one of my best trips yet.
The South African people are very hospitable and friendly.

If you want something really worthwhile to do while in J'burg head out
to Kruger park for a few days and just relax. I found the cities a bit
frustrating but the countryside quite rewarding and the parks
magnificient. Only 5 or 6 hours drive J'Burg to Kruger or catch a
quick flight and rent a car. Then watch animals for a few days.
Accomodation is superb food OK unless you cook your own.

Anyway have a good July.