Money around Asia

Old September 24th, 2003, 09:30 AM
Patrick Powers

Default Money around Asia

(Miguel Cruz) wrote in message .. .
Dee wrote:
I'm going back packing around Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand for 5 or 6
weeks, and then spending 8 weeks in Japan.

What would you all suggest to do about money?
How much cash?
How much Travellers cheques?
How much just left to Visa card?

Have as many different forms as possible.

I got a Visa cash advance at BCA Bank in Ubud, Bali. Someone in Hong
Kong stole the number, ran up the bill, and my card was cancelled. It
takes a US address and three weeks to get a new one. Actually, things
have kept going wrong and it is five months now with no replacement.
Business hours in the US are 11pm to 8am in Bali and almost all the
phone places are closed during these hours, so making a business call
is a problem.

On another cash advance the payment got there late ( you need to take
personal checks with you to pay Visa, and mailing FedEx costs $40 from
Indonesia ) and Chase Manhattan assessed me $100 in penalties and
interest. What a screw job.

It is also surprisingly easy to forget your card in an ATM machine.
The machine won't always beep at you like in the US, and it is natural
to be distracted by the large wad of bills. Also, the card might just
plain not work.

In Kathmandu I have not been able to use any of my 3 ATM cards because
the local machines are not hooked up to Cirrus, Maestro, or any of
those other networks. Thank God for traveller's checks, they love
them here.

I have heard that if you have an American Express card you can write
personal checks against it at an Amex office.

Cash: the bills should be perfect and dated 1998 or later.