Help and advice

Old July 12th, 2004, 11:44 PM
George Thomson

Default Help and advice

Hi

I have been lurking in this group for over a year trying to pick up on every
ones experiences.

My questions are similar to Guy Pearce's

So....... what we would like to do is the one week safari something that
would include some walking, also no more than two maybe three nights in a
tent (this is insisted on by "the wife") then finished off with a week at
the coast.

As this is all a bit of a new experience for us so we would probably like to
do it as a package and let some one else worry about collecting us from the
airport and the transfers.

I know we could do this from the Scotland using a local travel agent, but I
just feel that having lurked, that you guys have a better feel for a good
holiday than an 18 year old at the local travel agent, selling a stock
product from a large company.

I am probably showing how my inexperience but we intend going at the
beginning of October and are not sure where is the best place to go South
Africa, Kenya or Tanzania at that time of the year.

Any help, comments, web sites or recommends for travel companies would be
much appreciated,

TIA

George

Old July 13th, 2004, 12:41 AM
Dave Patterson

I say Kenya, in the beginning of October. You could
start in the Masai Mara and be fairly sure you will be
among the migrating herds of wildebeest & zebra.
I recommend the Mara Serena.

Tented camps? Mara Safari Club and Siana Springs
are both lovely camps at - but not actually IN - the
Masai Mara Game Reserve. Mara Intrepids is in
the Reserve, and is very upmarket, as is its
sister camp, Samburu Intrepids in the Samburu
Reserve. Larsens, at Samburu, is old and past
its prime.

Walking? Not many opportunities, and some of us
are opposed to walking safaris anyway. Why put
yourself in a position where your Guide/Ranger has
to kill an animal if you are somehow threatened?

The Kenya coast has a lot of tourist hotels, and
will not be especially busy in October. Research
this carefully to find a place that suits you.
Again, the Serena Beach would be my suggestion.

Turning to South Africa - you can certainly do
everything you are considering there. I find it
more costly as an American, because the dollar
is so weak against the rand. October is the end of
the cold season for the most part. But I have been
in a few bitter cold days even in the Lowveld,
which is where the majority of safari camps are.
The Cape can be very unpredictable that time
of year. Plus, it is not a beach area except for
people who really like cold water.

Old July 14th, 2004, 11:55 AM
Rita Daggett

"George Thomson" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi

So....... what we would like to do is the one week safari something that
would include some walking, also no more than two maybe three nights in a
tent (this is insisted on by "the wife") then finished off with a week at
the coast.

If you want to do some walking then I recommend Zambia; however it will be
VERY HOT in October; June/July are better times to go.
I can thoroughly recommend the organisation and advice offered by Sunvil
Africa.(see http://www.sunvil.co.uk/africa/)
We went last July and stayed at Old Mondoro, near the Zambezi, which is an
off-shoot of Chiawa (because that had the best chance of seeing wild dogd,
although we didnt see any) and then at Tafika in South Luangwa (see
http://www.remoteafrica.com/default.asp); spending a couple of nights at its
off-shoot camp. None of it was actually tented (tho even tents these days
can have en-suite flush loos and running hot water) but they are not
'hotels' or 'lodges' in the Kenya/Tanzania style.
You cant easily spend time at the coast tho.
Sunvil also do Tanzania (I've heard good reports of Foxes, who are in
Sunvil's latest brochure see http://www.tanzaniasafaris.info/index.htm).
These sort of 'tailor-made' trips dont come cheap tho (and it may already be
too late to get flights; I booked in December for July). If you want
something a bit more 'packaged' Kuoni have a very good reputation for
safaris - we've been to Kenya a few times with them, although a long time
ago.

--
Rita Daggett