paris day trip

Old July 26th, 2005, 08:17 AM
Brett

Default paris day trip

Hi,

Do you think its too much to try and see the Versailles Chateau and the
Chartres cathedral in the same day?

We only have a few days in paris and would like to see one (or both) of
them.

Brett.
Old July 26th, 2005, 09:03 AM
Tita

Le Tue, 26 Jul 2005 00:17:28 -0700, Brett a
écrit :

Do you think its too much to try and see the Versailles Chateau and the
Chartres cathedral in the same day?

It's doable but I won't do it cause I like to spend time when I do
some sighseing.

We only have a few days in paris and would like to see one (or both) of
them.

Chartres cathedral open at 8:30 AM. You could spend 3 full hours in
the cathedral and then drive back to Versailles. It's not very far,
about 80 km so I assume you could make it in one hour. That leaves you
a whole afternoon to visites le chateau de Versailles. It's open until
6:30 PM in summer by the way.

I don't know if you'll have time to get a lunch at noon but a sandwich
would do it.
Old July 26th, 2005, 06:52 PM
Stanislas de Kertanguy

Tita wrote:

Chartres cathedral open at 8:30 AM. You could spend 3 full hours in
the cathedral and then drive back to Versailles. It's not very far,
about 80 km so I assume you could make it in one hour. That leaves you
a whole afternoon to visites le chateau de Versailles. It's open until
6:30 PM in summer by the way.

Much easier by train, if you want to follow that program!

The 7.30 service departing from Montparnasse will leave you at Chartres
1 hour later.

On coming back, there's a train an hour between Chartres and Paris,
which (almost always, but it's better to ask the guard) call at
Versailles-Chantiers, 1 km away from the Castle.

Versailles to Paris-Montparnasse has 12 min headway.

--
inversez "kertanguy" et "de" pour me joindre
Old July 26th, 2005, 06:59 PM
Chris

Brett wrote:
Hi,

Do you think its too much to try and see the Versailles Chateau and the
Chartres cathedral in the same day?

We just returned from a Paris trip. It is possible to do both, but it
would be a long day. I would probably start at Chartres and work your
way back.

I was disappointed in Chartres. I had hoped to be able to walk the
labyrinth, but there were chairs set up on the floor. The windows are
quite beautiful and detailed, but require a lot of work to see. They
are high and small. I expected to be more overwhelmed by them, I guess.
We did not take the famous tour (Malcolm Miller?), perhaps that would
have helped, but we were there about an hour and I had seen all I
wanted. I think to truly appreciate Chartres, you would need to do a
lot more prepatory work than I did--really reading about each window
and the depictions. Our Parisian friends had never been to
Chartres--"what's there besides a big church?" was their response to
our trip.

We spent several hours at Versailles, mostly in the gardens--we visited
on a day the fountains were on. The palace was quite crowded, so
arriving later in the day might make that easier. The Hall of Mirrors
is under reconstruction, so that was disappointing.

Chris

Old July 27th, 2005, 03:30 AM
Dave Smith

Brett wrote:

Do you think its too much to try and see the Versailles Chateau and the
Chartres cathedral in the same day?

We only have a few days in paris and would like to see one (or both) of
them.

It's possible. Whether or not it would be worth your while to do all that
travelling just to get a glimpse of something and say you've been there is
another matter. If you have only a few days in Paris there is more then
enough to keep you busy. My suggestion for people travelling to Paris is
to plan to spend at least four days there, and that is an absolute minimum.

Old July 27th, 2005, 11:30 AM
Mike M

Unfortunate that you missed the Malcolm Miller tour. Nothing is better
to establish a sense of the history and character of the cathedral, and
to get a true feeling for the power and purpose of the place.

Old July 28th, 2005, 12:56 AM
Brett

Mike M wrote:
Unfortunate that you missed the Malcolm Miller tour. Nothing is better
to establish a sense of the history and character of the cathedral, and
to get a true feeling for the power and purpose of the place.

Is it still possible to see him lecture there?

Old July 28th, 2005, 10:26 AM
Jens

Brett wrote:
Mike M wrote:
Unfortunate that you missed the Malcolm Miller tour. Nothing is better
to establish a sense of the history and character of the cathedral, and
to get a true feeling for the power and purpose of the place.

Is it still possible to see him lecture there?

He was so in April 2005 at least...