Which clothes to bring?

Old September 29th, 2003, 12:49 AM
Miguel Cruz

Default Which clothes to bring?

Hallvard Tangeraas wrote:
Any suggestions to what kind of clothing a guy should bring along on a
trip around the world going to the following places, in this order
(starting around end of October/start of November):

- Hong Kong/short trip to Beijing, China
- Thailand
- Malaysia
- Singapore
- Australia (Darwin-Alice Springs, then along the whole east coast up to
Cairns, Starting January 2004, until end of February)
- New Zealand
- Japan (about 1 month, April)
- possibly USA (LA, Washington DC, New York) -around May
- possibly Vancouver, Canada around april/may

I guess in warm, humid places like Thailand I can get around with a
T-shirt, shorts and comfortable sandals

In all of those places (except Vancouver in May) you wouldn't catch me in
anything other than a t-shirt, shorts, and sandals unless I was attending a
meeting for work. At night in mosquitoey places I'd be wearing long pants
though.

but I still haven't found a solution regarding where to place my money
etc. I'll be carrying a small, flat "pouch" hanging around my nech, under
my T-shirt for my passport, credit cards and other "must not loose, no
matter what" stuff, but what about my wallet which I need to access often?

I find the neck pouch pretty irritating. Instead, a large pocked inside the
sorts works great. I only need to get in there to dig out my passport or ATM
card. When I take money out of the ATM, I keep a day's worth in my normal
front pants pocket and put the rest in the secret inside pocket. Move some
more from inside to outside pocket the next morning before leaving the
hotel.

What about hiking boots? I guess Australia and New Zealand are places
where I might need them, as opposed to sneakers/jogging-shoes etc.

They're useful when climbing (quite likely in New Zealand) or when walking
in wet, leechy/buggy places like jungles. Otherwise they're hot and heavy.

miguel
Site remodeled 10-Sept-2003: Hundreds of new photos, easier navigation.
Old September 29th, 2003, 02:37 PM
AndrewC

"Miguel Cruz" wrote in message
Hallvard Tangeraas wrote:
They're useful when climbing (quite likely in New Zealand) or when walking
in wet, leechy/buggy places like jungles. Otherwise they're hot and heavy.

miguel

You see, here's another example of why the net is such a great resource. So
many people with their own opinion. Here's mine...I would never go on a
trip without my hiking boots. They are the sturdiest and most comfy
footwear I own and not too heavy. Gone are the days of 5 lb. boots with
monster soles. Mine are Zamberlans with a good Vibram sole and Gortex
lining. When I travel whether it's hiking the trails or just through
galleries I need my feet to still be my friends at the end of the day.

Just my 2 cents worth,

AndrewC

Old September 29th, 2003, 05:31 PM
mhicaoidh

Taking a moment's reflection, AndrewC mused:

| You see, here's another example of why the net is such a great resource.
| So many people with their own opinion. Here's mine...I would never go on
| a trip without my hiking boots. They are the sturdiest and most comfy
| footwear I own and not too heavy. Gone are the days of 5 lb. boots with
| monster soles. Mine are Zamberlans with a good Vibram sole and Gortex
| lining. When I travel whether it's hiking the trails or just through
| galleries I need my feet to still be my friends at the end of the day.

I agree. I don't go anywhere without my Vasque Sundowners. ;-)