Statement on Star Princess!

Old March 24th, 2006, 03:06 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default Statement on Star Princess!

Hi Everyone,

I received this press release from Princess and thought it would be of
interest. If you have missed any of my news' postings, they are
available on my web site.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com

3/23/2006
Statement on Star Princess

Star Princess is currently docked in Montego Bay following a fire
aboard the ship early this morning as the ship was in transit between
Grand Cayman and the Jamaican port as part of a seven-day voyage. The
origin of the fire is still unknown, and Princess is cooperating fully
with investigators from the U.S. Coast Guard and other regulatory
agencies to determine the cause and assess the damage.

We at Princess extend our deepest sympathy to the passengers and their
families who were personally affected by the fire, in particular the
family of the passenger who passed away, along with those passengers
who experienced smoke inhalation injuries. This is the first time such
a tragedy has occurred during the history of our company, and we are
devastated by this incident. Our heartfelt thoughts and prayers are
with those affected by the fire.

Following an assessment today of the damaged cabins, we believe the
best course of action is to terminate the current cruise in Montego
Bay. All passengers currently onboard will be flown home over the next
two days, and will receive a full refund of their cruise and air fare.
In addition Princess will cover any out-of-pocket travel expenses our
passengers may incur for this change of plans. We will also provide
passengers with a future cruise credit equal to 25 percent of the
cruise fare paid on this voyage.

Passengers in the cabins affected by the fire -- which number
approximately 100 -- will be provided accommodations at hotels ashore
in Montego Bay tonight, and the other passengers will remain on the
ship until their flights home over the next two days. The ship is safe
and is fully operational and continues to provide passengers with full
services.

The following cruise, scheduled to depart Fort Lauderdale on March 26,
will also be cancelled. Similarly, passengers booked on this sailing
will receive a full refund, the same 25 percent credit towards a
future cruise, and Princess will additionally cover out-of-pocket
travel expenses as a result of the change.

Over the course of the next few days we will fully assess damage
caused by the fire and plan to make the necessary temporary repairs to
enable the ship to maintain its onward schedule. A plan for the
repairs to the affected cabins will also be drawn up, and passengers
booked in those cabins will be advised as soon as possible of our
forward plans.
--

A special number has been set up for inquiries from immediate family
of passengers who are currently onboard: 1-800-693-7222.