Can QM2 be used as a troop ship?

Old April 25th, 2004, 04:16 AM
Tom & Linda

Default Can QM2 be used as a troop ship?

"Paul Krause" wrote in message
news
I know that the QE 2 could be converted and was used as a troop ship,
but what about the QM2?

Paul

The whole concept of warfare has changed so significantly that I'm not sure
something like that even needs to be considered.

Today we're looking at things like:

Mid air refueling of stealth fighters and stealth bombers to get them to
areas of engagement.
Commercial and military jets to move troops quickly to where they're needed
(just like when the Boeing 707 ended the need for ocean liners).
Moving carrier fleets to get your fighter jets and cruise missiles to where
you might need them.
Fighter jets based near our US cities that can get in the air quickly to
defend against terrorist activities.

I'm just not sure that moving 5,000+ troops at 25+ knots by a single ship
does that much for you. Jets are just so much quicker.

Though I'm guessing most any company would offer up anything needed by the
government in case of real emergency.

--Tom

Old April 25th, 2004, 03:29 PM
Badger

Tom & Linda wrote:

[...]

Let me see you put 5000+ people on a jet.
Clay
Old April 25th, 2004, 04:22 PM
Tom & Linda

"Badger" wrote in message
. com...
Tom & Linda wrote:

[...]

She's one ship. The Air Force must have hundreds of planes.

Even if they only had 1 plane... they could make 20 trips during that week
the ship would require. They can even take tanks by plane now.

It's the day of Pentium notebook computers, stealth fighters and cruise
missiles... ships were valuable for transporting millions of troops back in
the days of slide rules.

--Tom

Old April 25th, 2004, 05:48 PM
Badger

Tom & Linda wrote:
"Badger" wrote in message
. com...

Tom & Linda wrote:

[...]

Sure they could take twenty, but they still do currently move large
quantities of troops by ship. I assume this is the most economical method.

Clay
Old April 26th, 2004, 03:06 AM
Ray Goldenberg

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 15:22:17 GMT, "Tom & Linda"
wrote:

It's the day of Pentium notebook computers, stealth fighters and cruise
missiles... ships were valuable for transporting millions of troops back in
the days of slide rules.

Hi Tom,

Didn't the British Government use a passenger ship during the
Falkland's war?

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com
Old April 26th, 2004, 03:45 AM
JoyceR

Why do I vaguely remember the QE2 being painted grey during that time.

I just did a Google search and saw where she transported 3,000 troops
in 1982 to the South Atlantic

Joyce

--
"We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are." - The Talmud
"People demand the freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of

Old April 26th, 2004, 04:14 AM
Ray Goldenberg

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 22:47:06 -0400, "Ray L. Nutz"
wrote:

yes two even the old canberra and QE2 were used during falklands war

Hi Jaap,

This is what I recalled. I am glad my memory is still somewhat
intact. ;=)

Old April 26th, 2004, 02:59 PM
BTC/TAK on ACK

Didn't the British Government use a passenger ship during the Falkland's
war?

Yes, of course they did. It was the QE2... and it was verrrry widely
reported at the time. I recently got around to reading a history of the QE2
I bought while aboard a few years ago... the ship's Falkland service was
well covered in the book.

Mila

Mila

Old April 26th, 2004, 03:49 PM
Zegarskis

From: Badger , challenged:

Let me see you put 5000+ people on a jet.
Clay

Clay,

Have you flown in coach recently? vbg
Ray

Wishing light winds and smooth seas to all