Can QM2 be used as a troop ship?

Old April 26th, 2004, 05:25 PM
David Seifert

Default Can QM2 be used as a troop ship?

High capacity airplanes (like 747s and even C5As) require very good
runways. War doesn't always break out in places where such are
available. For moving large volumes of men and materiel to virtually
anywhere in the world big ships are hard to beat. The US Navy
maintains, in the reserve fleet, a large complement of very fast
large, very fast cargo ships to meet just such needs.

That being said, I doubt the QM2 was designed for conversion to
trooping duty for all the reasons offered by others.

David

"Tom & Linda" wrote in message . net...

The whole concept of warfare has changed so significantly that I'm not sure
something like that even needs to be considered.

Today we're looking at things like:

Mid air refueling of stealth fighters and stealth bombers to get them to
areas of engagement.
Commercial and military jets to move troops quickly to where they're needed
(just like when the Boeing 707 ended the need for ocean liners).
Moving carrier fleets to get your fighter jets and cruise missiles to where
you might need them.
Fighter jets based near our US cities that can get in the air quickly to
defend against terrorist activities.

I'm just not sure that moving 5,000+ troops at 25+ knots by a single ship
does that much for you. Jets are just so much quicker.

Though I'm guessing most any company would offer up anything needed by the
government in case of real emergency.

--Tom

Old April 26th, 2004, 07:27 PM
Cruising Chrissy

On 26 Apr 2004 14:49:58 GMT, pamnot (Zegarskis)
wrote:

Let me see you put 5000+ people on a jet.
Clay

Clay,

Have you flown in coach recently? vbg
Ray

I've flown "on" Coach.......Hubby.

LOL
Old April 27th, 2004, 03:01 AM
Tom & Linda

"Ray Goldenberg" wrote in message
On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 15:22:17 GMT, "Tom & Linda"
wrote:

It's the day of Pentium notebook computers, stealth fighters and cruise
missiles... ships were valuable for transporting millions of troops back

in
the days of slide rules.

Hi Tom,

Didn't the British Government use a passenger ship during the
Falkland's war?

Wasn't that about 20 years ago?

They didn't even have laptop computers back then. That's when you had an
IBM with 2 disk drives.

That was during the last ice age.

--Tom

Old April 27th, 2004, 03:21 AM
Ray Goldenberg

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 02:01:04 GMT, "Tom & Linda"
wrote:

Wasn't that about 20 years ago?

They didn't even have laptop computers back then. That's when you had an
IBM with 2 disk drives.

That was during the last ice age.

Hi Tom,

You sure know how to make a guy feel old. ;+)

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com
Old April 27th, 2004, 04:29 AM
Tom & Linda

"David Seifert" wrote in message
om...
High capacity airplanes (like 747s and even C5As) require very good
runways. War doesn't always break out in places where such are
available. For moving large volumes of men and materiel to virtually
anywhere in the world big ships are hard to beat.

Let me know if you figure out how to get a ship like the QM2 to a country
like Switzerland. vbg

That I gotta see.

PS... all you need is a country in the same region with good runways.

--Tom

Old April 27th, 2004, 04:37 AM
Tom & Linda

wrote:

Wasn't that about 20 years ago?

They didn't even have laptop computers back then. That's when you had an
IBM with 2 disk drives.

That was during the last ice age.

Hi Tom,

You sure know how to make a guy feel old. ;+)

Beats the alternative....

--Tom