Can QM2 be used as a troop ship?

Old April 27th, 2004, 05:55 PM
David Seifert

Default Can QM2 be used as a troop ship?

Don't forget about Canberra! Actually it was Canberra which was
placed in harm's way during the Falklands War. The Thatcher
government realized exactly what a propaganda triumph sinking the QE2
would be so they took no chances with her. She never went closer to
the war zone than Ascension Island. Well out of reach of the
Argentine Super Etendarte (sp?) which were armed with Exocet missles.
One of those and the QE2 would have been toast.

Canberra spent most of her time ferrying troops between Ascension
Island and South Georgia which was the final staging area for the
attack. She later actually went into Falkland waters.

David

On 26 Apr 2004 15:22:01 GMT, pamnot (Zegarskis)
wrote:

Ray Goldenberg
, asked:

Didn't the British Government use a passenger ship during the
Falkland's war?

Hi Ray,

Yes the Brithis used the QE2 during what my Argentine acquaintences refer to
as, "Th eInvasion of the Islas Malinas". Most other folks refer to the islands
as the Falklands.

The other Ray

Old April 28th, 2004, 03:11 AM
Chris Warner

The Cunard Countess was used during the Falkland's war. The back open area
was a result. We were told that the back of the ship was modified to
accommodate helicopters.

Here's a link....

http://www.cybamall.com/shiplover4/G...dCountess.html

"Ray Goldenberg" wrote in message
On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 15:22:17 GMT, "Tom & Linda"
wrote:

It's the day of Pentium notebook computers, stealth fighters and cruise
missiles... ships were valuable for transporting millions of troops back

in
the days of slide rules.

Hi Tom,

Didn't the British Government use a passenger ship during the
Falkland's war?

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com

Old April 28th, 2004, 05:49 AM
Earl

"Tom & Linda" wrote in
:

"David Seifert" wrote in message
om...
High capacity airplanes (like 747s and even C5As) require
very good runways. War doesn't always break out in places
where such are available. For moving large volumes of men
and materiel to virtually anywhere in the world big ships
are hard to beat.

Let me know if you figure out how to get a ship like the QM2
to a country like Switzerland. vbg

That I gotta see.

PS... all you need is a country in the same region with good
runways.

--Tom

Trivial problem. Involves a bit of large scale engineering but
no new science.

Worst case we have to use a aircushion heavy mover system; after
all, the footprint is only about 15 psi, much less than that of
heavy diesel engines that a man can move around on a shop floor
just by pushing. Getting the permits to cross France will be the
hardest problem.

Remember we built submarines in Wisconson and shipped through
the center of Chicago and down the Mississippi during WW2. And
the draft on a sub was quite a bit more than the depth of the
Chicago River (sewer system).
Old April 30th, 2004, 08:47 PM
C. A. Lowe, Ph.D.

Hi, Folks,

I've been out sick, so forgive me if this point has already
been raised. I seem to recall that QE2 was used as a troop
ship in the Falklands war, which is not all that long ago.
It also seems to me that quite at lease a couple of
divisions, with their armor, in the present conflict were
transported by naval vessels. Including those who then had
to be repositioned (by sea) when Turkey listened to its
citizenry and refused to allow our troops to attack from its
lands.

Fact is, in a true world conflict (which God forfend)
everything down to shovels and ice picks would likely be
used. This, by the way, is another good reason to maintain
at least some manufacturing capacity in this country. Could
we truly produce everything we need to fight a war, any
more? And to keep our citizenry at home alive in the
meantime? Is there anyplace left within our borders for
Rosie the Riveter to report to work? I have no doubt we
would cope, as we have in the past, but aren't we making it
awfully difficult for ourselves?

Just musing,

Connie in Santa Fe

Tom & Linda wrote:
"Badger" wrote in message
. com...

Tom & Linda wrote:

"Paul Krause" wrote in message
news

I know that the QE 2 could be converted and was used as a troop ship,
but what about the QM2?

Paul

The whole concept of warfare has changed so significantly that I'm not

sure

something like that even needs to be considered.

Today we're looking at things like:

Mid air refueling of stealth fighters and stealth bombers to get them to
areas of engagement.
Commercial and military jets to move troops quickly to where they're

needed

(just like when the Boeing 707 ended the need for ocean liners).
Moving carrier fleets to get your fighter jets and cruise missiles to

where

you might need them.
Fighter jets based near our US cities that can get in the air quickly to
defend against terrorist activities.

I'm just not sure that moving 5,000+ troops at 25+ knots by a single

ship

does that much for you. Jets are just so much quicker.

Though I'm guessing most any company would offer up anything needed by

the

government in case of real emergency.

--Tom

Let me see you put 5000+ people on a jet.
Clay

She's one ship. The Air Force must have hundreds of planes.

Even if they only had 1 plane... they could make 20 trips during that week
the ship would require. They can even take tanks by plane now.