Bit by the QM2 bug - sailing May 10th!!

Old April 27th, 2004, 06:40 PM
Benjamin Smith

Default Bit by the QM2 bug - sailing May 10th!!

E.k.R. wrote:

I suppose I was bit by the QM2 bug more than I expected. My brother
and I just booked the QM2 this morning to sail in a couple weeks on May 10.
It's an 8-day Caribbean sailing round trip out of NY. We received an ok deal
(good for QM2 I guess) in an outside guarantee cabin (C4-category or
better).

Congrats, but something tells me doing an 8 day Carribean cruise on the
QM 2 is like going on a racetrack with a 18 wheel truck. The ship was
not designed for the Caribbean and may feel out of sorts.

Ben S.

Old April 27th, 2004, 09:25 PM
E.k.R.

"Benjamin Smith" wrote in message news:wWwjc.4790
Congrats, but something tells me doing an 8 day Carribean cruise on the
QM 2 is like going on a racetrack with a 18 wheel truck. The ship was
not designed for the Caribbean and may feel out of sorts.

The ship should do just fine in the Caribbean. If not, then there is a
flaw. QM2 was designed to be both a cruise ship and liner, and if she fails
as a cruise ship then I see problems in her future. QM2 WAS designed to
cruise the Caribbean, with as much ease as she can make a transatlantic
crossing. The amount of balconies she offers and the fact she has many
Caribbean cruises scheduled during her first year of operation is certainly
testimony to this. Besides, I'm not going to start making excuses for her
before I even get onboard!

Ernie

Old April 27th, 2004, 11:24 PM
Benjamin Smith

E.k.R. wrote:

"Benjamin Smith" wrote in message news:wWwjc.4790

Congrats, but something tells me doing an 8 day Carribean cruise on the
QM 2 is like going on a racetrack with a 18 wheel truck. The ship was
not designed for the Caribbean and may feel out of sorts.

The ship should do just fine in the Caribbean. If not, then there is a
flaw. QM2 was designed to be both a cruise ship and liner, and if she fails
as a cruise ship then I see problems in her future. QM2 WAS designed to
cruise the Caribbean, with as much ease as she can make a transatlantic
crossing. The amount of balconies she offers and the fact she has many
Caribbean cruises scheduled during her first year of operation is certainly
testimony to this. Besides, I'm not going to start making excuses for her
before I even get onboard!

I'm looking at the ship differently, then. Her draft is deep, more
tendering than a cruise ship. I feel there's a compromise, that you can
use the ship in the Caribbean, but her whole essence is one suited to
different itineraries. There are plenty cruise ships with their cruise
ship feel for the Caribbean. SUVs are often used on roads, but true SUVs
shine offroad. On road they always feel tippier than cars. That's where
I'm going. Honestly, I think she'll look ridiculous in the Caribbean, it
isn't just her size, it's her role and design as a ship. I think she's
way too formal to fit the Caribbean vibe. People walking around the
public areas with tropical T-shirts on the QM2. Not interested. Would
kill the atmosphere for me.

When I sail the ship I'm not looking to sail on a fancy new ship. I'm
looking for passengers who don't ask about dress code. Dress code is a
given, as using a fork and knife for dinner, something that is done
without any desire to question it. No raggae bands, no limbo, no
macarena. And plenty of sea days in the itinerary, just a few ports.

I've been reading the Cunard forums and enjoying the exchanges of those
whose take is that she has a liner feel and say it is an intangible vs.
she doesn't have the Cunard feel and feels more cruise ship like, even
Carnivalized (whatever that means). I don't have the feeling you are
into the Cunard mystique, but it'll be interesting to read your take on
her as a product.

I don't take the QM2 as just another new cruise ship, or a large, bit
bigger than Voyager new cruise ship. And I'm not hung up on liner or any
other term, either. For me, she's something other than most of the new
crop of cruise ships. What? I don't know. Her story is just beginning.

Ben (also feels Oriana, Deutschland, and a few other ships stand out
from most cruise ships)

Ernie

Old April 28th, 2004, 12:48 AM
BTC/TAK on ACK

The ship should do just fine in the Caribbean.

There was a Caribbean portion of the Rio Ft L trip I was on recently. The
"issues", for me at least, had less to do with the ship's design than with
poor handling [IMO] of other shore-side matters. I'm sure they'll "clean
that up"... hopefully they already have.

I've heard others than Ben S say "The ship was not designed for the
Caribbean", by the way, and I'm not sure exactly how that impression was
created, though I suspect the "fault" is less with Ben S, et al, than with
the media hype [which has gotten all sorts of things wrong], and with
Cunard's own early sales promotions. It definitely seemed to me to be
designed for wintry crossings, hot-weather cruises, and pretty much all in
between.

I think, if you keep your expectations within reason, you'll have a fine
time. [We did, by and large, and they're have been weeks for the other
issues that we found problematic to be addressed]. I'll be looking forward
to hearing your impressions.

Bon Voyage!

Mila

. ..

Old April 28th, 2004, 01:11 AM
Benjamin Smith

BTC/TAK on ACK wrote:

The ship should do just fine in the Caribbean.

There was a Caribbean portion of the Rio Ft L trip I was on recently. The
"issues", for me at least, had less to do with the ship's design than with
poor handling [IMO] of other shore-side matters. I'm sure they'll "clean
that up"... hopefully they already have.

I've heard others than Ben S say "The ship was not designed for the
Caribbean", by the way, and I'm not sure exactly how that impression was
created, though I suspect the "fault" is less with Ben S, et al, than with
the media hype [which has gotten all sorts of things wrong], and with
Cunard's own early sales promotions. It definitely seemed to me to be
designed for wintry crossings, hot-weather cruises, and pretty much all in
between.

Mila, thanks for your comments. I want to make it very clear, my
thoughts on the QM 2 and other ships in the Caribbean are mine and
really aren't that much media related. For whatever psychological reason
I don't find some environments and styles to fit well in certain areas.
I would not sail the Oriana in the Caribbean, I wasn't crazy about
sailing Celebrity in the Caribbean and I won't sail HAL in the
Caribbean. It has to do with the culture of many the Caribbean island
cultures and lifestyle contrasting a lot with what's on the ship,
something I find jarring. I love Royal Caribbean for the Caribbean, NCL
can work for me, other lines might work, but the more formal lines don't
work for me in the Caribbean.

I know some take an approach of it's my vacation, a do your own thing
type of environment. I like environments that promote a certain mood and
feel and are consistent with it. Anything inconsistent seems at odds
with it for me. So, a line that has a style of a Cunard, for me, doesn't
work in most of the Caribbean. It can work in Bermuda, in European
ports, in United States and Canadian ports, in some South American ports
and Asia, and the Med, but Carribean, not for me. I don't feel much of
the content that goes into the Carribean cruise is part of the style of
Cunard. Maybe I'm wrong and they've worked out a Caribbean style that
feels appropriate and not at odds with the Cunard onboard culture. But,
I don't feel this is a casual line, and casual makes sense in the
Caribbean with less formality, in every sense.

I think for some of us, it has nothing to do with Cunard's marketing or
promotional stances or media hype. I think a lot of us with this
viewpoint pay little attention to either and certainly don't give much
credence to either in any literal sense. It has more to do with a buying
into, at least to some degree, to Cunard mystique and tradition. And
wanting, sincerely wanting, for Cunard to stand out as something
different. Not Crystal, not Radisson or Silverseas. Crystal is a higher
rung line with medium sized cruise ships. Radisson is a bit more
exclusive. Silverseas even more. Cunard has two classic ships, and one
brand new that is modeled on a classic ship. While nobody expects a
experience of yore, what is expected is overall grace with a minimal
amount of the usual aspects one finds on a mass-market cruise.

I think, if you keep your expectations within reason, you'll have a fine
time. [We did, by and large, and they're have been weeks for the other
issues that we found problematic to be addressed]. I'll be looking forward
to hearing your impressions.

Yes. The context of it as well. That it isn't a crossing, that it may be
tailored to a Caribbean sensibility and may be attracting many onboard
that aren't core Cunarders. That may affect the overall flavor of the
product and, in some ways, the product delivery.

Ben S.

Bon Voyage!

Mila

. ..

Old April 28th, 2004, 01:23 AM
E.k.R.

"Benjamin Smith" wrote in message
ink.net...

Yes. The context of it as well. That it isn't a crossing, that it may be
tailored to a Caribbean sensibility and may be attracting many onboard
that aren't core Cunarders. That may affect the overall flavor of the
product and, in some ways, the product delivery.

Ben,
I think QM2 in the Caribbean will still attract a majority of hard core
Cunarders, or want-a-bee Cunarders. Lets face it, there are a myriad of
Caribbean cruise ships to choose from that are new, large, and impressive
and cost a whole lot less to sail on in the Caribbean than QM2. Right out
of NY we have VOYAGER OF THE SEAS , NORWEGIAN DAWN, and CARNIVAL LEGEND.
QM2 is certainly priced at a premium over these other ships, and no doubt
the main reason to choose the cruise I'm sailing on is to experience the QM2
herself, and the Caribbean to a much smaller degree. I don't think the
average Caribbean cruiser is going to pick QM2 for their experience, and
besides, most of the people on any current sailing of QM2 have booked well
over a year ago. This almost guarantees are large contingent of loyal
Cunarders or a curious ship lover at the very least.

Ernie

Old April 28th, 2004, 01:41 AM
Benjamin Smith

E.k.R. wrote:

[...]

Ok, makes sense.

Enjoy, Ernie.

Ben

Ernie

Old April 29th, 2004, 01:27 AM
Jo-Ann

Ernie, our sentiments exactly! That's why we went ahead and splurged.
We've gone ahead and booked the Feb. 26 11 night sailing from Ft.
Lauderdale to NYC, with stops in Bonaire, Curacao, Barbados, and
Martinique in between. The other ships will always be there. And
it's not about the Caribbean. The opportunity to sail the QM2 (we
spent a few nights aboard the original QM when my brother was married
on board about 10 years ago) was just too enticing to pass up.

Jo-Ann

Old April 29th, 2004, 01:32 AM
Jean O'Boyle

"Benjamin Smith" wrote in message
nk.net...
E.k.R. wrote:

"Benjamin Smith" wrote in message news:wWwjc.4790

Congrats, but something tells me doing an 8 day Carribean cruise on the
QM 2 is like going on a racetrack with a 18 wheel truck. The ship was
not designed for the Caribbean and may feel out of sorts.

LOL, Ben! I got a chuckle out of your 18 wheeler on a racetrack comment~~
Quite a visual!
I can understand Ernie trying out the QM2 out of curiosity, even in the
Caribbean, though.

--Jean.

Old April 29th, 2004, 01:49 AM
Jean O'Boyle

"Jo-Ann" wrote in message
om...
Ernie, our sentiments exactly! That's why we went ahead and splurged.
We've gone ahead and booked the Feb. 26 11 night sailing from Ft.
Lauderdale to NYC, with stops in Bonaire, Curacao, Barbados, and
Martinique in between. The other ships will always be there. And
it's not about the Caribbean. The opportunity to sail the QM2 (we
spent a few nights aboard the original QM when my brother was married
on board about 10 years ago) was just too enticing to pass up.

Jo-Ann

Jo-Ann, that sounds like a great itinerary! We stayed on the original QM in
Long Beach before our Star Princess cruise and loved it. Walking her deck
and staying in an original stateroom suite, made me wish that she could
still sail the seas!
You and Bob are on the ocean more than on land!! You are doing the Sleazy3
and the MOAGC, too, aren't you?
We are considering doing the Sleazy 3--it is fun being in NOLA, especially
on Halloween!

--Jean