Mozambique or Tanzania?

Old September 21st, 2003, 12:46 PM
Pernille og Kennet

Default Mozambique or Tanzania?

Hi,

we are thinking about going to Malawi next summer. At the same time, we are
concidering continuing north or south to mz or tz. We dont have time to go
all the way to Kilimanjaro or Serengeti, and we would also like to see some
culture and not just nature. That made me think about mz, but it is safe?
How are prices compared to tz? Is it possible to travel by public
transportation? How long time do we need to go from Malawi border to
Maputo? Another option is to go through mz to Harare in Zimbabwe and fly
home from there. Its seems shorter and perhaps more economical, but is
Zimbabwe safe, eventhough its only for at short period of time we will be
there?

Thanks,

Kennet

--

-------------------------
Besøg vores rejse- og dyreside på

Old September 22nd, 2003, 10:06 AM
M. Sahlen

Mozambique is a quite safe place. Of course Maputo has certain areas
where you shouldn't walk around at night, but so has Copenhagen. Just
ask for local advice and don't flash your valuables, and you'll be fine.
Travel from Malawi to Maputo by public transport is no problem... I did
it some years ago, although in the opposite direction. It'll take you
3-4 days if you don't make any stops along the way. With some good
planning you can reach Tete early enough to catch a bus for Chimoio
(buses in Moz generally depart early in the mornings). Then day 2 you
go on to Vilanculos, and the next day you can make it down to Maputo.
We went with the Oliveiras bus company, but there are a couple of
other companies as well. You should really stop somewhere along the
coast and enjoy the wonderful beaches, it'd be a pity to miss them.
As for prices, I seem to remember that MZ and TZ are about the same...
perhaps that accomodation and food are somewhat more expensive in MZ.

// Marten

Old September 22nd, 2003, 06:35 PM
Pernille og Kennet

Hi,

we were not going to take the trip from malawi to Maputo in one, but break
in up as part of our vacation. We have 4 weeks. Is that enough? Its a
vacation and not a marathon.

Kennet

--

-------------------------

Old September 22nd, 2003, 07:21 PM

I remember a Tanzanian railway called TAZARA which goes all the way to
Zambia, I'm pretty sure it goes to Malawi by someways as per the
Malawi cargo which reaches Dar-es-Salaam. Check and see if you can
hitch a ride. If you go towards Tanzania and use Tazara I would
highely recommend Selous Game Reserve (largest in Africa or maybe the
world).

I would recommend you plan your trip in accordance with a travel agent
either a local well know one or international, as to manage everything
in a timely manner, like you said u don't wanna make it a marathon.

"Pernille og Kennet" writes:

Hi,

we were not going to take the trip from malawi to Maputo in one, but break
in up as part of our vacation. We have 4 weeks. Is that enough? Its a
vacation and not a marathon.

Kennet

--

Besøg vores rejse- og dyreside på