Need rolling duffel recommendation?

Old August 25th, 2009, 11:47 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
Kiran

Default Need rolling duffel recommendation?

It is not the most romantic of all imaginable gifts but that's what my
SO wants so that's what it is going to be: a rolling duffel!

However, I am a luggage newbie and would like your recommendations:

Black or grey color.

Good design, layout, material and construction etc.

Considering the occasion, good-looking too!

Carrying capacity approx equal to or slightly more than a 28" suitcase.

I don't want to go ballistic on price, but can be somewhat pricey.

Thanks for sharing your experience and opinions.
Old August 26th, 2009, 01:09 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
William Black

Kiran wrote:
It is not the most romantic of all imaginable gifts but that's what my
SO wants so that's what it is going to be: a rolling duffel!

However, I am a luggage newbie and would like your recommendations:

Black or grey color.

Good design, layout, material and construction etc.

Considering the occasion, good-looking too!

Carrying capacity approx equal to or slightly more than a 28" suitcase.

I don't want to go ballistic on price, but can be somewhat pricey.

Thanks for sharing your experience and opinions.

What's it for?

Assuming air travel in Asia (looking at the groups) just buy the
cheapest that'll hold your gear and won't fall to bits.

Expensive luggage in Asia gets bashed about, stolen or robbed from.

If you're in Europe then Aldi do a cheap strong one, if you go in on the
right week.

Tie a distinctive coloured ribbon to it so you can spot a porter leaving
with it without your permission...

--
William Black

"Any number under six"

The answer given by Englishman Richard Peeke when asked by the Duke of
Medina Sidonia how many Spanish sword and buckler men he could beat
single handed with a quarterstaff.
Old August 26th, 2009, 05:11 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
Kiran

William Black wrote:

: Expensive luggage in Asia gets bashed about, stolen or robbed from.

I do stay away from expensive luggage and well-known brands myself. So,
yes absolutely no Tumi, or Calvin Klein, Polo, Pierre Cardin, etc. The
last three are probably ca@p in quality but will attract thieves
anyway.

OTOH I have traveled all over the world with boring black Briggs &
RIley, which is fantastic quality but looks like the cheapest Chinese
stuff and the name seems to be not known at all. No problem anywhere.

But, I agree, it is a consideration.
Old October 21st, 2009, 04:47 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe
hackamore

Kiran wrote:
It is not the most romantic of all imaginable gifts but that's what my
SO wants so that's what it is going to be: a rolling duffel!

However, I am a luggage newbie and would like your recommendations:

Black or grey color.

Hi,

nononono

you want the wildest/craziest/weirdest color scheme available.

they're ALL black

which means they're hard to spot

easy to loose

easy for somebody to get the wrong one

mine is RED with a BLACK framework.

my mobility aid is in a black bag... but there's NO mistaking it!

Good design, layout, material and construction etc.

Considering the occasion, good-looking too!

Carrying capacity approx equal to or slightly more than a 28" suitcase.

I don't want to go ballistic on price, but can be somewhat pricey.

Thanks for sharing your experience and opinions.

other than that I'd get the LL Bean catalog (or go online) and get it
monogrammed too... helps if it ever gets to the lost/found... like
tucking a business card in the pockets.

ttyl

Hackamore

--

Hackamore
http://www.hackamore.com
Old October 21st, 2009, 06:14 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe
William Black

Hackamore wrote:
Kiran wrote:
It is not the most romantic of all imaginable gifts but that's what my
SO wants so that's what it is going to be: a rolling duffel!

However, I am a luggage newbie and would like your recommendations:

Black or grey color.

Hi,

nononono

you want the wildest/craziest/weirdest color scheme available.

they're ALL black

which means they're hard to spot

easy to loose

easy for somebody to get the wrong one

mine is RED with a BLACK framework.

my mobility aid is in a black bag... but there's NO mistaking it!

Buy a cheap black one and tie a coloured ribbon to it.

other than that I'd get the LL Bean catalog (or go online) and get it
monogrammed too... helps if it ever gets to the lost/found... like
tucking a business card in the pockets.

Don't bother with business cards.

Write your name and the address where you want it to go in big letters
in felt tip pen and put the sheet of paper just inside the main
compartment of the bag.