Car Free europe

Old March 23rd, 2004, 04:13 AM
Frank F. Matthews

Default Car Free europe

I've decided after a recent trip that Steve may be right about Paris
becoming car free in the near future. At least in the sense that no
cars will be used to move around. Currently they are to the point that
almost the only parking available is in crosswalks and at corners. With
a little growth it will be at the point that everyone will be afraid to
drive because they would then lose their parking space.

I guess that if the congestion rises to the point that cars cannot be
driven then the city is "car free" in practice.

FFM

Old March 23rd, 2004, 07:16 AM
vmkng3

I guess that if the congestion rises to the point ...

This is a typical situation in European cities. Paris, Rome, Prague ...

You may not see cars moving, but every empty spot on roads and sidewalks
will be filled with cars. No walking, either.

Old March 25th, 2004, 05:26 PM
Michael Gallagher

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 03:13:21 GMT, "Frank F. Matthews"
wrote:

I've decided after a recent trip that Steve may be right about Paris
becoming car free in the near future ....
I guess that if the congestion rises to the point that cars cannot be
driven then the city is "car free" in practice.

London is pretty bad, too, IIRC. Parking was also rough in Brighton,
too; the motorways had some pretty heavy traffic. So anyone who
thinks Europe is a carless paradise needs to have his or her head
examined.

Old March 26th, 2004, 10:24 AM
The Reid

Following up to Michael Gallagher

London is pretty bad, too, IIRC. Parking was also rough in Brighton,
too; the motorways had some pretty heavy traffic. So anyone who
thinks Europe is a carless paradise needs to have his or her head
examined.

the poster does need his head examined but I think his belief is
probably that "car free"= end of world and we are all supposed to
respond by shrieking "oh no".What I cant understand is having
failed, he keeps doing it in increasingly loony form?
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso
Old March 26th, 2004, 04:03 PM
alexbrown77

In theory I could see it but not in reality...I can not imagine people
willing to give up their cars in exchange for public tranportation.
Plus, public transportation would have to grow so much that it might
cause a lot of the same congestion problems.
Old March 26th, 2004, 10:06 PM
Tim Kroesen

I'm looking forward to the upcoming Three Weeks when for the first time
since I was Fifteen I won't be driving a car or truck for such an
extended period. Should I not travel in an automobile it would be the
longest auto-free stretch of my life...

Tim K

"erilar" wrote in message
In article ,
wrote:

Following up to Michael Gallagher

London is pretty bad, too, IIRC. Parking was also rough in

Brighton,
too; the motorways had some pretty heavy traffic. So anyone who
thinks Europe is a carless paradise needs to have his or her head
examined.

the poster does need his head examined but I think his belief is
probably that "car free"= end of world and we are all supposed to
respond by shrieking "oh no".What I cant understand is having
failed, he keeps doing it in increasingly loony form?

I'm confused by both posts. I have yet to visit London, which is not a
city that interests me, but to me "car free" would seem to indicate
traveling without being burdened by a car. In the US, there isn't

enough
public transportation to get much of anywhere without one, but one of
the things I enjoy about Europe is that I can be "car free" there and
still get almost to and about any place that interests me.

--
Mary Loomer Oliver(aka erilar)
There is no such thing as too many books. Bookshelves, on the other

hand . . .

Erilar's Cave Annex:
http://www.airstreamcomm.net/~erilarlo

Old March 27th, 2004, 12:13 PM
The Reid

Following up to erilar

I'm confused by both posts. I have yet to visit London, which is not a
city that interests me, but to me "car free" would seem to indicate
traveling without being burdened by a car. In the US, there isn't enough
public transportation to get much of anywhere without one, but one of
the things I enjoy about Europe is that I can be "car free" there and
still get almost to and about any place that interests me.

In cities, yes. I'm not sure you can get *anywhere* by public
transport, or perhaps i'm just spoilt by what we have.
Old March 27th, 2004, 12:15 PM
The Reid

Following up to alexbrown77

In theory I could see it but not in reality...I can not imagine people
willing to give up their cars in exchange for public tranportation.
Plus, public transportation would have to grow so much that it might
cause a lot of the same congestion problems.

In *central* London 90% of travel is by public transport, so it
would be possible to get to 100 except for plumbers etc who have
a vanfull of tools.