Mediterranean Ferries

Old April 6th, 2009, 09:54 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Terry Richards[_2_]

Default Mediterranean Ferries

We are planning a trip from northern France to central/southern Italy by
motorcycle.

To cut down a bit on the road mileage, we were wondering if there were any
ferries from southern France to Italy, either direct or with one connection.
My map doesn't show any but it's 9 years old...

Thanks,

Terry.

Old April 6th, 2009, 10:10 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Martin wrote:

[]
Corsica

....is on my mind. Just noticed easyjet flights there from Manchester.

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
Old April 6th, 2009, 10:20 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Shawn The Sheep

On Apr 6, 10:54*am, "Terry Richards" wrote:
We are planning a trip from northern France to central/southern Italy by
motorcycle.

To cut down a bit on the road mileage, we were wondering if there were any
ferries from southern France to Italy, either direct or with one connection.
My map doesn't show any but it's 9 years old...

Thanks,

Terry.

google maps show a link to civitavecchia
Old April 6th, 2009, 12:27 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike Lane

On Mon, 6 Apr 2009 09:54:14 +0100, Terry Richards wrote
(in article ):

We are planning a trip from northern France to central/southern Italy by
motorcycle.

To cut down a bit on the road mileage, we were wondering if there were any
ferries from southern France to Italy, either direct or with one connection.
My map doesn't show any but it's 9 years old...

The best place for ferry information and booking that I've found is he
http://www.viamare.com/
This shows only one route from France to mainland Italy which is Toulon -
Civitavecchia

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Old April 6th, 2009, 03:35 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Terry Richards[_2_]

"Mike Lane" wrote in message

The best place for ferry information and booking that I've found is he
http://www.viamare.com/
This shows only one route from France to mainland Italy which is Toulon -
Civitavecchia

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Thanks Mike but the operator's site (Grimaldi ferries) doesn't list that
route - I guess they've stopped it. Also, the viamare site shows the journey
time as 15 hours which is slower than I can do it on the bike. It's starting
to look like this plan is a non-starter...

T.

Old April 6th, 2009, 03:45 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

On Mon, 6 Apr 2009 16:35:32 +0200, Terry Richards wrote in post :
:

"Mike Lane" wrote in message

The best place for ferry information and booking that I've found is he
http://www.viamare.com/
This shows only one route from France to mainland Italy which is Toulon -
Civitavecchia

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Thanks Mike but the operator's site (Grimaldi ferries) doesn't list that
route - I guess they've stopped it. Also, the viamare site shows the journey
time as 15 hours which is slower than I can do it on the bike. It's starting
to look like this plan is a non-starter...

T.

For that sort of trip, ferries will always be slower than a bike.

shameless plug mode on
While you're near the Alps there are a few ideas for good rides here :
www (dot) alpineroads (dot) com. There's a forum if you have any questions.
Plus some links to other touring/biker site for that area.
shameless plug mode off

--
Tim C.
Old April 6th, 2009, 05:16 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

"Terry Richards" wrote in message

"Mike Lane" wrote in message

The best place for ferry information and booking that I've found is he
http://www.viamare.com/
This shows only one route from France to mainland Italy which is Toulon -
Civitavecchia

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Thanks Mike but the operator's site (Grimaldi ferries) doesn't list that
route - I guess they've stopped it. Also, the viamare site shows the
journey time as 15 hours which is slower than I can do it on the bike.
It's starting to look like this plan is a non-starter...

You said that you wanted to save the driving mileage. This option is never
going to save you time

tim

Old April 6th, 2009, 07:49 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike Lane

On Mon, 6 Apr 2009 17:51:11 +0100, Martin wrote
(in article ):

wrote:

"Mike Lane" wrote in message

The best place for ferry information and booking that I've found is he
http://www.viamare.com/
This shows only one route from France to mainland Italy which is Toulon -
Civitavecchia

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Thanks Mike but the operator's site (Grimaldi ferries) doesn't list that
route - I guess they've stopped it. Also, the viamare site shows the
journey
time as 15 hours which is slower than I can do it on the bike. It's
starting
to look like this plan is a non-starter...

other than the fare being less than the tolls and less than a night in hotel
too.

Yes, I've come to the same conclusion i.e. that taking a ferry is often worth
it to save a long journey by car. When taking the car abroad I have the
choice of going from Hull which costs around £180, or driving to Dover where
the fare can be had for £30. However when you add the cost of an overnight
stay plus fuel and everything else, the trip from Hull seems quite
attractive.

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Old April 6th, 2009, 09:04 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Gerry[_5_]

"Terry Richards" wrote in message
We are planning a trip from northern France to central/southern Italy by
motorcycle.

To cut down a bit on the road mileage, we were wondering if there were any
ferries from southern France to Italy, either direct or with one
connection. My map doesn't show any but it's 9 years old...

None whatsoever.
Ferries are fast going out of business on international routes - it's
cheaper to fly!

Gerry

Old April 6th, 2009, 10:38 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

wrote:

"Mike Lane" wrote in message

[...]

We do the same calculations. )

Do you know there is a high speed catamaran ferry starting from Ramsgate
Boulogne and Europe's oldest ferries running from Ramsgate to Ostend.

unless it has changed recently the Ramsgate-Oostend ferry has been freight
only for at least 5 years

tim