Car Ferries

Old June 23rd, 2006, 11:24 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default Car Ferries

It might seem like a dumb question, but.. When taking a car ferry, and I'm
thinking typically of ferries from the UK either to mainland Europe or
Ireland, once your car is on the ferry do you have to get out of the car and
go onto the ship itself? or can you stay with the car? I know you can get
out if you wanted to, I'm just interested in if it is a requirement.

I know with Eurotunnel you stay in your car, as there is nowhere else to go.

Old June 23rd, 2006, 11:30 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Mark Hewitt wrote:
It might seem like a dumb question, but.. When taking a car ferry, and I'm
thinking typically of ferries from the UK either to mainland Europe or
Ireland, once your car is on the ferry do you have to get out of the car and
go onto the ship itself? or can you stay with the car? I know you can get
out if you wanted to, I'm just interested in if it is a requirement.

I know with Eurotunnel you stay in your car, as there is nowhere else to go.

must leave car, Herald of Free Enterprise ??

Old June 23rd, 2006, 12:13 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

"Mark Hewitt" wrote in message
It might seem like a dumb question, but.. When taking a car ferry, and I'm
thinking typically of ferries from the UK either to mainland Europe or
Ireland, once your car is on the ferry do you have to get out of the car and
go onto the ship itself? or can you stay with the car? I know you can get
out if you wanted to, I'm just interested in if it is a requirement.

I think you do for all UK crossings to Europe. You don't on some shorter crossings,
eg between Denmark and Sweden - where you can stay in the car/train if you want.

--
Andy

Old June 23rd, 2006, 12:35 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

"Mark Hewitt" wrote in
message ...

It might seem like a dumb question, but.. When taking a car ferry, and
I'm thinking typically of ferries from the UK either to mainland Europe
or Ireland, once your car is on the ferry do you have to get out of the
car and go onto the ship itself? or can you stay with the car?

The ferry from Swansea to Cork, for example, takes 10 hours. I can't
imagine you'd want to stay with your car, even if you were allowed to.

Ian

Old June 23rd, 2006, 01:05 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Following up to Mark Hewitt

When taking a car ferry, and I'm
thinking typically of ferries from the UK either to mainland Europe or
Ireland, once your car is on the ferry do you have to get out of the car and
go onto the ship itself?

on bigger ones you must secure the car with gears and handbrake,
switch off the movement alarm (sometimes this is done by closing
with key, not remote) and go to the ship.You will not be allowed
to return to the car. On very small ferries between Scottish
Islands, you may stay with the car.
--
Mike Reid
Shetland, Yell and Unst
Old June 23rd, 2006, 01:18 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

The Reid" wrote:
Following up to Mark Hewitt
When taking a car ferry, and I'm thinking typically of ferries from
the UK either to mainland Europe or Ireland, once your car is on
the ferry do you have to get out of the car and go onto the ship itself?

on bigger ones you must secure the car with gears and handbrake,
switch off the movement alarm (sometimes this is done by closing
with key, not remote) and go to the ship. You will not be allowed to
return to the car.

The hold is usually off-limits until the ferry reaches its destination.
Besides, why would you want to when there's all that /great/ food,
entertainment and other shopping on the passenger deck? =R=

Old June 23rd, 2006, 01:52 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Following up to Rog'

The hold is usually off-limits until the ferry reaches its destination.
Besides, why would you want to when there's all that /great/ food,
entertainment and other shopping on the passenger deck?

Anyone with a wildlife interest has a chance to see cetaceans
from the decks of many ferries, as well as the obvious seabirds.
The restro of the Shetland ferry is pretty good.
Old June 23rd, 2006, 04:02 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

The Reid wrote:
.. On very small ferries between Scottish
Islands, you may stay with the car.

But on the larger Scottish ferries, such as Mallaig to Skye and Gill's
Bay to Orkney, you have to leave the car (at least that was true last
year when I went there).

Larry at Morro Bay, California

Old June 23rd, 2006, 04:40 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Mark Hewitt wrote:
It might seem like a dumb question, but.. When taking a car ferry, and I'm
thinking typically of ferries from the UK either to mainland Europe or
Ireland, once your car is on the ferry do you have to get out of the car and
go onto the ship itself? or can you stay with the car? I know you can get
out if you wanted to, I'm just interested in if it is a requirement.

I know with Eurotunnel you stay in your car, as there is nowhere else to go.

You can't stay with your car on any of the UK to mainland European xings