Compressed Luggage

Old July 16th, 2010, 09:19 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Thumper

Default Compressed Luggage

On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 11:45:53 -0700 (PDT), "Mark (SF)"
wrote:

On Jul 16, 11:38*am, Barbara Brown wrote:
On 7/15/2010 10:37 PM, D Ball wrote: On Jul 15, 5:17 pm, Barbara *wrote:

This upcoming cruise is 18 days plus 3 in Amsterdam, 1 in London and 1
in New York so we're going to take one extra bag and pay for it. I don't
think I could do 23 days with only one bag even doing laundry.

That sounds like a wonderful trip, Barbara. What's your cruise
itinerary?

Diana

We're doing an 18 transatlantic with HAL that leaves from Amsterdam. To
get there we have to change planes in London but we get in at 10:00 pm
and our Amsterdam flight doesn't leave until 4:00 pm the next day so we
spend a night in London. Then 3 days in Amsterdam before boarding the
ship. The cruise goes to Scotland, Orkney Islands, Faroe Islands,
Iceland, Greenland, two cities in Newfoundland, and two in Nova Scotia
before ending in New York. And since we land on Labor Day we couldn't
get flights until the next day so we get a day in NYC. So about 24 days.

I'm sure we'll do laundry several times. I was disappointed that the HAL
Eurodam doesn't have self-service laundry like their other ships.

Last year, on our 11 night Eurodam cruise, we took advantage of a
promotion (not well-publicized, IIRC) that provided a fixed cost for
all laundry during the cruise. I forget what the charge was, but it
was quite reasonable and convenient.

Mark

Years ago I used to do trade shows all over the country. For many
years I laundered, cleaned, and pressed all of my clothes before
traveling and then I would steam and press them in my room. One time
I( didn't have tome to get to the cleaner's before I left so I put
everything that needed dry cleaning and/or pressing into the hotel 's
service. They did it overnight and beautifully and I never again did
it at home. It costs a few bucks extra but it saves a ton of time and
does a better job. I now use the free time I saved for more enjoyable
things.

Thumper
Old July 17th, 2010, 12:43 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
D Ball

On 7/16/2010 1:38 PM, Barbara Brown wrote:
We're doing an 18 transatlantic with HAL that leaves from Amsterdam. To
get there we have to change planes in London but we get in at 10:00 pm
and our Amsterdam flight doesn't leave until 4:00 pm the next day so we
spend a night in London. Then 3 days in Amsterdam before boarding the
ship. The cruise goes to Scotland, Orkney Islands, Faroe Islands,
Iceland, Greenland, two cities in Newfoundland, and two in Nova Scotia
before ending in New York. And since we land on Labor Day we couldn't
get flights until the next day so we get a day in NYC. So about 24 days.

That's a terrific itinerary, Barbara. We've never done that trip, so I
will be very interested in your port reports. I do envy your crossing--I
loved our one and only transatlantic, esp. going E to W and arriving
with body clock already adjusted to local time!

Diana

Old July 25th, 2010, 04:18 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

[Default] Thus spake Barbara Brown :

Has anyone tried using those bags where you suck out all the air with
your vacuum for packing your luggage?

I thought it was a good idea but then I realized, how would I get all
that stuff back in the suitcase without a vacuum on the way home? Would
the ship lend you a vacuum?

Are your clothes so wrinkled when you take them out that you'd pay more
for pressing than the extra baggage charge?

Barbara

One thing to be wary of is that you can easily go over the 50 pound
limit (not 51 pounds, as another passenger checking in on our return
from MIA last year learned)
--

- dillon I am not invalid

Toby (Tri-Umph That's the Sweet Truth)
March 1998 - June 2010
What a dog. What a dog!

Old July 25th, 2010, 05:42 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Bill[_1_]

On 7/24/2010 11:18 PM, Dillon Pyron wrote:

One thing to be wary of is that you can easily go over the 50 pound
limit (not 51 pounds, as another passenger checking in on our return
from MIA last year learned)

That's why you should get one of these:

There are better ones on the site (and elsewhere) but they're more than
$5.94.

Bil
Old July 26th, 2010, 12:50 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian[_1_]

On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 22:18:12 -0500, Dillon Pyron
wrote:

One thing to be wary of is that you can easily go over the 50 pound
limit (not 51 pounds, as another passenger checking in on our return
from MIA last year learned)

There have been stories in the press about some scales being
inaccurate. Asking that it be re-weighed on another scale might be a
good idea when it is so close.
Old July 27th, 2010, 03:58 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

[Default] Thus spake Bill :

On 7/24/2010 11:18 PM, Dillon Pyron wrote:

One thing to be wary of is that you can easily go over the 50 pound
limit (not 51 pounds, as another passenger checking in on our return
from MIA last year learned)

That's why you should get one of these:

There are better ones on the site (and elsewhere) but they're more than
$5.94.

Bil

We have a similar one. We also go outbound with three bags and home
with (sometimes) four. Or load our carry ons to almost "unable to
carry" weight.

Yeah, these days everyone should be weighing everything. We even take
the scale to stores to weigh the bags.

Old July 27th, 2010, 09:46 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
RayC

Dillon Pyron wrote:
We have a similar one. We also go outbound with three bags and home
with (sometimes) four. Or load our carry ons to almost "unable to
carry" weight.

Yeah, these days everyone should be weighing everything. We even take
the scale to stores to weigh the bags.

We just returned from Peru and they actually weighed our carry-ons.
Seems now they have a 22# limit there as well ... at least on Taca

--
Ray Contreras
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Old July 28th, 2010, 01:11 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian[_1_]

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 13:46:32 -0700, RayC wrote:

We just returned from Peru and they actually weighed our carry-ons.
Seems now they have a 22# limit there as well ... at least on Taca

My daughter went to France about 10 years ago on British Air and her
carryon was weighed. She went again 2 years later on Air France and it
wasn't.
Old July 28th, 2010, 12:38 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

Dillon Pyron wrote:
We have a similar one. We also go outbound with three bags and home
with (sometimes) four. Or load our carry ons to almost "unable to
carry" weight.

Yeah, these days everyone should be weighing everything. We even take
the scale to stores to weigh the bags.

We just returned from Peru and they actually weighed our carry-ons.
Seems now they have a 22# limit there as well ... at least on Taca

On our latest trip Hawaiian Airlines weighed our carryons - there was
a weight limit. AA did not.
Old July 29th, 2010, 01:27 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian[_1_]

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 07:38:19 -0400, wrote:

On our latest trip Hawaiian Airlines weighed our carryons - there was
a weight limit. AA did not.

Interisland or mainland?