weather in October 2005 in the southern island

Old July 24th, 2005, 08:12 PM
Pooh

Default weather in October 2005 in the southern island

Hello,
We would like to travel to NZ in October this year,
1. We wanted to know if this year the winter is more or less rainy than
usaul?
2. What should we expect in the southern island, can we go treking in
fiordland area?

Thanks!
Ady

Old July 27th, 2005, 10:40 AM
Ralph Fox

On 24 Jul 2005 12:12:45 -0700, in message
s.com, Pooh wrote:

Hello,
We would like to travel to NZ in October this year,
1. We wanted to know if this year the winter is more or less rainy than
usaul?

It seems a little wetter that in previous years, but I don't
have any firm figures.

2. What should we expect in the southern island, can we go treking in
fiordland area?

_Where_ in Fiordland is the question.

And how good are your alpine snow and avalanche skills?

F.Y.I.

http://www.doc.govt.nz/fiordland-tracks.asp

| Fiordland National Park Track Update
|
| As a result of recent snowfalls and unsettled weather
| the snowpack in the alpine areas of Fiordland National
| Park are non-cohesive and unstable.
| Travel through all alpine areas is unsafe.

There is no guarantee of better conditions in October.

Thanks!

--
Cheers,
Ralph

A doctor can bury his mistakes, but an architect can only advise his clients to plant vines.

Old July 27th, 2005, 10:50 PM
evski

Dear Ady

We would like to travel to NZ in October this year,

1. We wanted to know if this year the winter is more or less rainy than
usaul?

So far winter has been drier and warmer in Otago area. Not sure about
Fiordland

2. What should we expect in the southern island, can we go treking in
fiordland area?

Any alpine routes are susceiptible to snow in October and you
definitely need to be prepared for this.

Waitutu Track along the South Coast or across Setwart Island would be
two tracks un affected by snow.

Evan

Tuatapere Hump Ridge Track

Get off your bottom and do the Hump!