Travelling the west USA

Old May 29th, 2007, 09:31 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Lawrence Akutagawa

Default Travelling the west USA

wrote in message
ps.com...
The best roadmap of the Four Corners area
that you will be visiting is AAA's Indian Country.

I agree that it's a good map, but don't you have to join AAA to get
their maps?

AAA memebers get this and other maps free along with their membership. If
not an AAA member, then check you local bookstore or online places like:

http://www.longitudebooks.com/find/p/20828/mcms.html

Old May 29th, 2007, 09:53 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Marco[_2_]

Wow,thanks a lot Graham.

You gave me some material to think about.
I will consider seriously your suggestions.

Tomorrow i will try to figure it out on a map and take my decision.
Thanks again

Marco
Old May 30th, 2007, 12:09 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Patty Winter[_2_]

In article om,
wrote:
The best roadmap of the Four Corners area
that you will be visiting is AAA's Indian Country.

I agree that it's a good map, but don't you have to join AAA to get
their maps?

Members of affiliated clubs in other countries can also get AAA
maps free:

http://www.aaa.com/PPInternational/International.html

Patty

Old May 30th, 2007, 06:21 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Hatunen

On 29 May 2007 23:09:44 GMT, Patty Winter
wrote:

In article om,
wrote:
The best roadmap of the Four Corners area
that you will be visiting is AAA's Indian Country.

I agree that it's a good map, but don't you have to join AAA to get
their maps?

Members of affiliated clubs in other countries can also get AAA
maps free:

http://www.aaa.com/PPInternational/International.html

I've found that the Indian Country map is not widely available,
even at AAA branches here in the USA.

Keep in mind the nature of AAA. None of us mere mortals belong to
AAA because AAA is an association of automobile clubs, so only
clubs belong. We belogn to the local affiliate of AAA. Individual
affiliates vary in their offerings to their members. The
Association does provide some items that individual memeber
associations may offer to their members.

The Indian Country map is published by the Automobile Club of
Southern California, and individual affiliates are free to carry
it or not.

It is a very good map covering largely northern Arizona and
southern Utah. A caution, though; many of the roads shown on the
map are unpaved and more suitable for the likes of four wheel
drive vehicles. Most car rental companies do not permit the use
of their cars on such roads.

Old May 30th, 2007, 08:02 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Marco[_2_]

Hatunen wrote:

It will be very very hot over much of the area you will be
covering, although nights will cool down somewhat. But campsites
should be fairly easy to get save in the very popular parks like
the Grand Canyon.

thanks for the advice.
A friend of mine is joining me for this trip this meaning I will have to
go for motels/hotels etc,no chance for camping (which I'd prefere),at
least it will be more safe!
Thanks

Marco

--
Posso insegnare ad un uomo a navigare
ma non potro' mai spiegargliene il perche'

Per rispondere via Email detergi il SUDORE !
Old May 30th, 2007, 04:21 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Lawrence Akutagawa

"Marco" wrote in message
m...
Hatunen wrote:

It will be very very hot over much of the area you will be
covering, although nights will cool down somewhat. But campsites
should be fairly easy to get save in the very popular parks like
the Grand Canyon.

thanks for the advice.
A friend of mine is joining me for this trip this meaning I will have to
go for motels/hotels etc,no chance for camping (which I'd prefere),at
least it will be more safe!
Thanks

Marco

Now that really is too bad...you'll miss sunrise and sunset at places like
Dead Horse Point State Park and the Canyonland's Mesa Arch. Of course, you
could wake up two hours or so before sunrise and drive from the nearest
motel about 50 or 60 miles away....

Old May 30th, 2007, 04:30 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Marco[_2_]

Lawrence Akutagawa wrote:

Now that really is too bad...you'll miss sunrise and sunset at places like
Dead Horse Point State Park and the Canyonland's Mesa Arch. Of course, you
could wake up two hours or so before sunrise and drive from the nearest
motel about 50 or 60 miles away....

this won't be no problem for me.
You suggest than these two places at sunrise/sunset.Any other?
thanks for helping.
It's difficult for me to organize everything from here (italy)as we lack
in good guides..

marco

Old May 30th, 2007, 05:54 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
B Vaughan

On Tue, 29 May 2007 11:28:29 +0200, (Marco)
wrote:

Graham Harrison wrote:

So hire a car, no arguement there.

thanks,I will.
Another question:
is it better to reserve the car by itnernet or getting there (denver)and
find it locally?Where can you have the best rates?Considering I will
need it for about 30 days it will be expensive..

You should rent the car in Italy, either from an Italian web site or
from an Italian travel agent. Otherwise, you will pay more for the
insurance than for the rental of the car itself. The insurance is a
big problem for an Italian travelling in the US.

Americans usually have automatic coverage through their own automobile
insurance, which insures the driver rather than the car and almost
always covers both the car you own and any cars you rent.

In addition, most US credit cards include free rental car insurance.
For this reason, the only Americans who need to buy insurance for
their rental cars are people who normally don't drive and don't have a
credit card. Maybe the reason they don't drive is that their license
has been revoked for some reason. These people are an extremely high
risk for accidents and the cost of rental car insurance is
outrageously high. The last time I rented a car in the US, I paid more
for insurance for one week than my daughter, who lives in the US, pays
for an entire year. Now I've learned that it will not cost so much if
I arrange the rental in Italy. I haven't tried it yet, but I hope the
advice works.
--
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.
Old May 30th, 2007, 06:03 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Lawrence Akutagawa

"Marco" wrote in message
Lawrence Akutagawa wrote:

Now that really is too bad...you'll miss sunrise and sunset at places
like
Dead Horse Point State Park and the Canyonland's Mesa Arch. Of course,
you
could wake up two hours or so before sunrise and drive from the nearest
motel about 50 or 60 miles away....

this won't be no problem for me.
You suggest than these two places at sunrise/sunset.Any other?
thanks for helping.
It's difficult for me to organize everything from here (italy)as we lack
in good guides..

I think you've received a good number of suggestions from other folks on
where to go.

Motels nearest Dead Horse Point State Park and Mesa Arch are in Moab, about
50 or 60 miles away. The road is two lane undivided and asphalt surfaced a
bit on the curvy side. Tough to make as good time on it as on the
interstate....I wouldn't advise going faster than 40 or so miles per hour.
And if you visit Mesa Arch, take the time to visit just a bit down the road
the Grandview viwpoint over the Colorado basin. The arches of Arches
National Park are just outside Moab in the other direction from Dead Horse
Point and Mesa Arch. Consult a map.

Sunrise is about 6:00 or so in the morning, depending on when you visit.
http://www.discovermoab.com/sunshine.htm So assuming you want to be on
location 15 minutes or so before the actual sunrise and you - not having
reconnoitered the area the day/evening before - needing some extra time to
find the place (especially Mesa Arch), I'd say you're talking about getting
up somewhere around 3:15 - 3:30 am, allowing an ample time buffer.