best roadside waterfalls in western NC/smokies?

Old June 14th, 2004, 08:06 PM
curious

Default best roadside waterfalls in western NC/smokies?

Hello,
For those of you who have travelled through
western NC and the smokies, what are the most
scenic roadside falls you saw that require little
or no hiking? And also that are easily accessible,
ie. paved roads?

I've heard of a few on US route 64, any more?

I don't know if whitewater falls has an overlook
or requires a short hike.

Thanks for any info!
Old June 14th, 2004, 09:10 PM
M. Tiefert

curious wrote:
Hello,
For those of you who have travelled through
western NC and the smokies, what are the most
scenic roadside falls you saw that require little
or no hiking? And also that are easily accessible,
ie. paved roads?

I've heard of a few on US route 64, any more?

I don't know if whitewater falls has an overlook
or requires a short hike.

Thanks for any info!

Laurel Falls is an easy hike, fairly popular, and so photogenic that a
picture someone took of me there looks like a studio picture. We hiked
there once with a 2-year-old.

cheers,

Marj
--
Marj Tiefert: http://www.mindspring.com/~mtiefert/
Marj's Mini Mall & Eclectic Schoolhouse: http://stores.tiefert.com/
Old June 14th, 2004, 09:42 PM
Roger B.

"curious" wrote...
Hello,
For those of you who have travelled through
western NC and the smokies, what are the most
scenic roadside falls you saw that require little
or no hiking? And also that are easily accessible,
ie. paved roads?

Linville Falls, near Linville, NC, on the Blue Ridge Pkwy
is a fairly short and easy stroll from a large parking lot. [R]

Old June 15th, 2004, 02:07 AM
JD

Visit Cashiers/Murphy/Sapphire Valley area. Several good falls. Whitewater
falls is the highest in eastern usa. you 64 crosses over the top of the
cascade.
JD
om...

Old June 17th, 2004, 02:42 PM
Juliana L Holm

curious wrote:
Hello,
For those of you who have travelled through
western NC and the smokies, what are the most
scenic roadside falls you saw that require little
or no hiking? And also that are easily accessible,
ie. paved roads?

I've heard of a few on US route 64, any more?

I don't know if whitewater falls has an overlook
or requires a short hike.

Thanks for any info!

I'm always leery of bests, but two I really enjoyed were Whitewater Falls in
North Carolina just north of the South Carolina border, and Lookinglass
Falls just south of the Cradle of Forestry inthe Pisgah National Forest.

Whitewater Falls has an overlook, but does require a bit of a walk (if you
are in a wheelchair I believe that could be accomodated.) Same with
Lookinglass.

Of course the South Carolina Whitewater falls did require a bit of a hike,
and indeed we did not go (mostly for other reasons, like not really finding the
sterting place)

WE have a travelogue of our visit to North Carolina on our tRavel Web page
in my sig, below.

Julie

--
Julie
**********
Old June 18th, 2004, 02:27 AM
Rodney Boles

(curious) wrote in message . com...
Hello,
For those of you who have travelled through
western NC and the smokies, what are the most
scenic roadside falls you saw that require little
or no hiking? And also that are easily accessible,
ie. paved roads?

I've heard of a few on US route 64, any more?

I don't know if whitewater falls has an overlook
or requires a short hike.

Thanks for any info!

NC 64 is certainly a good bet around Highlands, NC. Bridal Veil and
Dry
Falls are visible from the road. You could drive under BV when I was
there, and
walk down to go under Dry Falls. You are also next to the Cullasaja
Gorge, which
has a falls on it that requires a hike. Not far away, near Cashiers,
is Whitewater Falls
which is very impressive and a simple hike from the lot. A little
further east is
Toxaway Falls., right off 64.

From there, head east on 64 to Brevard and take a left on 276. The
road follows the
Davidson River and is very scenic. Great places to pull over and have
a picnic on the river.
Looking Glass Falls is visible from the road. Sliding Rock is also
just off the road.
If you continue up 276 to the Blue Ridge Parkway, there are stunning
views of
Looking Glass Rock and Cold Mountain and the Shining Rock Wilderness
area from the overlooks
around the intersection. Just down the BRP (to the South) is Graveyard
Fields. The trail is paved down
to the falls (although a bit steep). I highly recommend having a meal
at the Mt. Pisgah Inn. The dining room has huge windows overlooking
Looking Glass Rock.

There are LOTS of other waterfalls on secondary roads and nearby. My
brother lives in the
area and has explored most of them. But these are all extremely
convenient.
Old June 19th, 2004, 02:47 AM

Looking Glass Falls- you can drive right up to it. North of Brevard in
the Pisgah National Forest.