Strike threatens Paris Olympic bid

Old February 23rd, 2005, 05:15 PM
Earl Evleth

Default Strike threatens Paris Olympic bid

March 10th. Personally I have ceased paying attention
to when strikes or demonstrations are to occur, unless
my ox is gored that particular day.

I am not sure whether all Parisians are behind the Olympic
bid. It could be an expensive pain in the neck.

Earl

****

Strike threatens Paris Olympic bid

Wednesday, February 23, 2005 Posted: 1444 GMT (2244 HKT)

French Olympic chiefs say a national strike will not affect chances for 2012

PARIS, France (Reuters) -- French trade unions will not call off or postpone
their day of strikes and demonstrations on March 10 despite it clashing with
the visit to Paris of the International Olympic Committee's evaluation
commission.

The IOC's 13-strong evaluation commission will spend from March 9 to 12 in
the French capital having already assessed Madrid, London and New York.

Paris is competing with London, Madrid, Moscow and New York in the race to
stage the 2012 Olympic Games.

"We maintain our appeal for a big day of action on March 10, while rejoicing
in advance seeing thousands of young athletes of all countries meet in Paris
in August 2012," France's leading trade union CGT said in a statement.

Paris is widely regarded as the favorite to host the Games but disruption in
the city caused by industrial action will do little to help their cause.

All the leading unions have called for a day of strikes and demonstrations
throughout the country to demand pay rises and defend the 35-hour week.

Two unions considered as more moderate, CFDT and CFTC, had suggested that
the demonstrations could be put off to a later date but only if it was a
unanimous decision by all unions.

"If there is a problem, we can always shift it (the demonstration) one day
later if the other unions agree," CFDT general secretary Francois Chereque
said.

The suggestion was rejected by both CGT and Force Ouvriere.

CGT pointed out that the day of action had been scheduled "for many weeks in
many different branches" and said there was "obviously no connection"
between the strikes and the IOC visit.

On Wednesday, the transports unions announced they were joining the March 10
movement, raising fears of a traffic chaos in the French capital.

But Paris bid officials and Sports minister Jean-Francois Lamour insisted
the visit would not be disrupted.

"There could have been a better promotion for Paris. But I'm not worried and
I'm convinced that this will reinforce our capacity to react to problems
which can affect the bid or the organization of the Games proper," Lamour
said.

"The evaluation commission will not be prevented from doing its work as
planned," he added.

Paris bid chief Philippe Baudillon also said he felt the social unrest would
have no impact on the visit.

"In a sense, it's a good thing for us... Paris will be in a position to show
it has the means to deal with two big events on the same day," he said.

Other government ministers were less optimistic.

Defense minister Michele Alliot-Marie, a former Sports minister herself,
said the coincidence between the demonstrations and the IOC visit could
damage the Paris bid.

"It could be extremely harmful for the French bid that the IOC should think
that this is a country in which strikes and demonstrations can hamper the
normal course of the Olympics," she said.

And French IOC member Jean-Claude Killy, who headed the organization of the
1992 Winter Olympics in Albertville, was also concerned.

"One of the weaknesses in our bid is precisely France's capacity to go on
strike easily, to react on the spur of the moment.

"Everyone is entitled to fight for his own rights but the unions are making
our task much more complicated. I'm sorry for the image of France and French
sport.

"Our four rivals, who are excellent, will not miss the opportunity to play
up the issue," former Alpine skiing champion Killy said.

The IOC will decide in July which of Paris, London, Madrid, Moscow or New
York will stage the 2012 Games.

Old February 23rd, 2005, 10:26 PM
chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn

Earl Evleth wrote:

March 10th. Personally I have ceased paying attention
to when strikes or demonstrations are to occur, unless
my ox is gored that particular day.

I am not sure whether all Parisians are behind the Olympic
bid. It could be an expensive pain in the neck.

I suspect if they win (they certainly seem the favourites) the
satisfaction of beating London and NYC would be enough!

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net
Old February 24th, 2005, 06:14 PM
Mxsmanic

Earl Evleth writes:

I am not sure whether all Parisians are behind the Olympic
bid. It could be an expensive pain in the neck.

I think it's a very bad idea. It would make a handful of rich people
even more rich, while crippling the city for weeks and making it an even
more stressful place to live for the its residents and workers.

Old February 24th, 2005, 06:15 PM
Mxsmanic

chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn writes:

I suspect if they win (they certainly seem the favourites) the
satisfaction of beating London and NYC would be enough!

That would be a very bittersweet victory. Bitter for eleven million
people, and sweet for a few hundred.

Old February 24th, 2005, 09:54 PM

In article 1gsgjo2.ju3z2ughy6zvN%this_address_is_for_spam@ya hoo.com,
o' th' barn) wrote:

I suspect if they win (they certainly seem the favourites) the
satisfaction of beating London and NYC would be enough!

I'm finding that even with the appreciation of the Euro, Paris
accommodations are still more reasonably priced than NYC and certainly
London.

Maybe this would permanently raise those prices.

I doubt it. It's a long way off.

--
David Horne-
www.davidhorne.net