Refund hassles on cruise

Old March 2nd, 2007, 04:23 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
surf_dude

Default Refund hassles on cruise

I was just talking to my parents, who were supposed to be in Brazil for
a 3 week cruise.

They flew from upstate New York to New Orleans to get on the ship. They
were refused entry to the ship because they lacked the proper visa and
didn't have certification for yellow fever shots.

They are experienced cruise takers; they never had a problem like this
before. They booked through a travel agency on-line and further talked
with them on the phone to set everything up.

They never were given specifics of what papers were required before they
left. They had their passports, but at no time were they informed of the
visa or shot requirements.

After they were refused boarding, they had to get a hotel in New Orleans
and pay big bucks for plane fare home.

The cruise fare was $8300. They also paid $1300 for "insurance" to the
agency in case something happened. The whole fiasco looks like more than
$10k down a rathole.

How could they possibly know what paperwork is required if no one tells
them? It seems to me that some kind of refund is in order. Contact with
the travel agency, insurance provider, and cruise line all say tough
luck. My parents are in their 80's and don't need this kind of hassle.

Is anyone familiar with situations like this and can suggest a course of
action?

Thanks
SD
Old March 2nd, 2007, 05:15 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
J Carnaghie

surf_dude wrote:
[...]

Dear Surf Dude,
Unfortunately, I'll bet that they just received a $10K lesson.
Unfortunately, the limits on Small Claims court cases are not this
high so that is not a vehicle. A regular damage suit could easily cost
this much in just legal fees. Does New York have a travel Consumer
Protection agency that you could talk with?
Most cruise documents make it very clear that the responsibility
for Visa and Medical clearance matters are the traveler's. A reputable
travel agent should have inquired of them if they had their visas and
medical documents before the trip, but then a lot of the internet
travel sites are little more than "bucket shops" which provide a
minimum price for a minimum service.
Visa requirements vary depending on the passport that the
traveler is traveling with. They also change frequently enough to make
it worthwhile to always double - or triple - check with the countries
involved.
You have not named the Cruise Line, the on-line agency involved,
or the state the agency is located in. This information might be very
useful to other travelers. California, for example, requires that
"sellers of travel" be registered with the state and pay into a fund
for reimbursement of travelers. One regular "contributor" to this
newsgroup operates a "travel agency" that does not really sell
"travel" so one does have to be very careful with whom one is dealing
and just what is being purchased.
Good luck in getting some of the money back,
John in LALALand (On the Left Coast)
Old March 2nd, 2007, 06:19 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
jim

"surf_dude" wrote in message
t...
[...]

There is no responsibility on the Cruiseline for this. You 'might' be able
to sue the TA 'IF' you can prove negligence against them. Unfortunately it
is going to be an uphill battle. This is a reminder that people should use
only reputable TA's and this is even more important when the cruise is going
to ports that are not what is known as 'standard ports' like the Caribbean.
There are many TA's that specialize in these more exotic cruises our tours
and one should book through them instead of doing it themselves or using a
discount or local agency. Very sorry this happened to them.
Jim

Old March 2nd, 2007, 09:08 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Steve Myers

surf_dude wrote:
[snip]
I was just talking to my parents, who were supposed to be in Brazil for
a 3 week cruise.

They flew from upstate New York to New Orleans to get on the ship. They
were refused entry to the ship because they lacked the proper visa and
didn't have certification for yellow fever shots.

[snip]
Thanks
SD

I was on a Brazil cruise last spring; the visa and yellow fever
innoculation requirement (which is required to get the visa) were
CLEARLY laid out. I have no idea who failed your parents, but I'd bet
they didn't carefully read everything they received in advance. The
cruise line furnished much of the paperwork and a recommended visa agency.

It was just about a year ago I got the YF shot. Sigh.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 12:20 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Karen Selwyn

surf_dude wrote:

How could they possibly know what paperwork is required if no one tells
them?

Have you read all the paperwork the travel agency and/or cruise line
supplied? If not, I suggest you do so. In all likelihood, the "telling"
took place in writing rather than verbally. If so, it's likely that you
have no recourse.

Years ago, we cruised along the Pacific coast in S. America on PRINCESS
and the need for us to get a yellow fever shot was made abundantly clear
by paperwork from the cruise line.

Since you mention that your parents own passports, a newsgroup reader
can infer that they are experienced international travelers. Didn't they
ever get visas for any of their other trips -- cruises or otherwise?

(Of course, previous visa requirements may be irrelevant in this post
September 11, 2001 climate. Now, more countries are requiring visas for
US citizens to retaliate for the treatment their citizens are receiving
when they try to visit the US.)

Old March 2nd, 2007, 01:00 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Johnnie[_2_]

surf_dude wrote:

The cruise fare was $8300. They also paid $1300 for "insurance" to the
agency in case something happened. The whole fiasco looks like more than
$10k down a rathole.

$1300 for insurance on a $8300 cruise? WOW!

Next time, I hope they shop around!
Old March 3rd, 2007, 12:59 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian[_1_]

On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 07:00:24 -0500, Johnnie
wrote:

$1300 for insurance on a $8300 cruise? WOW!

Next time, I hope they shop around!

I don't know if it's reasonable but rates are age related.

Old March 3rd, 2007, 02:24 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
dinoted

Princess Travel Care provides 75% 'any reason' credit towards a future
cruise (90% for Gold coverage), even for cancellation on sail date,
and it seems to me Celebrity has similar coverage.

Wouldn't this provision apply if the insurance were purchased through
the cruise line?

Old March 3rd, 2007, 03:13 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Joseph Coulter

wrote:

$1300 for insurance on a $8300 cruise? WOW!

Next time, I hope they shop around!

I don't know if it's reasonable but rates are age related.

Yes rates are age related, BUT if my clients get a better overall deal
with the cruise line as is the case almost always with the over 70 set,
I sell that even though I make a hell of a lot more commission on CSA
and Travel Safe. You do right by your client, unless of course you are a
mega mega web ticket factory and then caveat emptor.

Joseph Coulter
cruises and vacations
www.josephcoulter.com
Old March 3rd, 2007, 04:33 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
kerry ambler

but with the over 70 set, they usually have something pre-existing and the
cruiseline insurance won't cover that.

"Joseph Coulter" wrote in message
news