Why expand Heath Row and not Gatwick?

Old February 6th, 2009, 04:41 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

Default Why expand Heath Row and not Gatwick?

I listen to the BBC World Service quite a bit and I know of the desire
to build another runway.

American Airlines recently switched, or is switching, all their flights
from Gatwick to airport at Heath Row.

Would any Britons in the group tell me why there should be a
concentration there, as opposed to expanding Gatwick or one of the
others? If the trouble is making connecting flights they should look
at improving the 90 minute bus ride between the airports.

Thanks,
--
Dan Stephenson
Photos, movies, panos from the Europe, USA, plus N.Z.:

(remove nospam from email address to reply via email)

Old February 6th, 2009, 04:54 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Markku Grönroos

"Dan Stephenson" kirjoitti
viestissä:2009020609411116807-stephedanospam@maccom...
I listen to the BBC World Service quite a bit and I know of the desire to
build another runway.

American Airlines recently switched, or is switching, all their flights
from Gatwick to airport at Heath Row.

Would any Britons in the group tell me why there should be a concentration
there, as opposed to expanding Gatwick or one of the others? If the
trouble is making connecting flights they should look at improving the 90
minute bus ride between the airports.

I am not a Brit but *American Airlines* made a decision to relocate
operations in London. What this has to do with *concentration* of anything
by the British authority?

Old February 6th, 2009, 06:15 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Martin D. Pay

On Fri, 6 Feb 2009 09:41:11 -0600, Dan Stephenson
mangled uncounted electrons thus:

I listen to the BBC World Service quite a bit and I know of the desire
to build another runway.

American Airlines recently switched, or is switching, all their flights
from Gatwick to airport at Heath Row.

Would any Britons in the group tell me why there should be a
concentration there, as opposed to expanding Gatwick or one of the
others? If the trouble is making connecting flights they should look
at improving the 90 minute bus ride between the airports.

At the time of the last expansion to Gatwick in 1979 there was a
legally binding agreement made with the local council that there
would be no further expansion considered until 2019 at the
earliest (the council remains opposed to any expansion even
then).

There has always been the intention to give Stansted a second
runway (I saw the plans for this back in the late 1980s when the
current terminal building was under construction) but
transatlantic routes have a history of failure from this airport,
which remains the UK home of Ryanair and their short-to-medium
haul European operations. Whether the second runway will
encourage new long-haul operations remains to be seen (but I
rather doubt it).

Luton remains relatively small. I don't believe that there is
room for a second runway there and this site is likely to remain
the home of Easyjet and various charter operators.

Which leaves Heathrow (one word not two!). The current government
has forced through the third runway and sixth terminal, although
the Tories have stated that they will cancel the third runway if
they are returned to power in the next general election (which
must take place no later than IIRC May 2010). As it stands
however the third runway is due to open in 2020... @_@

Martin D. Pay
The problem of transfers between Heathrow and Gatwick is the
M25...
Old February 6th, 2009, 06:39 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black

"Dan Stephenson" wrote in message
I listen to the BBC World Service quite a bit and I know of the desire to
build another runway.

American Airlines recently switched, or is switching, all their flights
from Gatwick to airport at Heath Row.

Would any Britons in the group tell me why there should be a concentration
there, as opposed to expanding Gatwick or one of the others? If the
trouble is making connecting flights they should look at improving the 90
minute bus ride between the airports.

Just about all the domestic feeder flights within the UK feed into Heathrow,
so if you're out in the sticks (as we are) you get a flight to Heathrow and
do your transfer there.

Heathrow is notorious for losing baggage anyway, putting a Gatwick transfer
in there as well just makes the whole thing a great deal more stressful.

On the other hand Heathrow is always hell, these days we avoid the place.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old February 6th, 2009, 08:45 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Lord Truscott of Brownenvelope

On Feb 6, 6:15*pm, Martin D. Pay
wrote:
[...]

whats wrong with Northolt ?
Old February 7th, 2009, 12:53 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
nightjar

"Martin D. Pay" wrote in message
On Fri, 6 Feb 2009 09:41:11 -0600, Dan Stephenson
mangled uncounted electrons thus:

I listen to the BBC World Service quite a bit and I know of the desire
to build another runway.

American Airlines recently switched, or is switching, all their flights
from Gatwick to airport at Heath Row.

Would any Britons in the group tell me why there should be a
concentration there, as opposed to expanding Gatwick or one of the
others? If the trouble is making connecting flights they should look
at improving the 90 minute bus ride between the airports.

At the time of the last expansion to Gatwick in 1979 there was a
legally binding agreement made with the local council that there
would be no further expansion considered until 2019 at the
earliest (the council remains opposed to any expansion even
then).

However, Parliament has the power to overturn the agreement and there have
been rumours that may happen, to help BAA find a buyer for Gatwick.

There has always been the intention to give Stansted a second
runway (I saw the plans for this back in the late 1980s when the
current terminal building was under construction) but
transatlantic routes have a history of failure from this airport,
which remains the UK home of Ryanair and their short-to-medium
haul European operations. Whether the second runway will
encourage new long-haul operations remains to be seen (but I
rather doubt it).

It is in the middle of nowhere and, unlike Gatwick, Heathrow and even Luton,
it has very little natural chatchment population of its own.

Luton remains relatively small. I don't believe that there is
room for a second runway there and this site is likely to remain
the home of Easyjet and various charter operators.

The terrain is not suitable for expansion. The airport is on high ground and
the existing runway is partly built on an embankment.

Which leaves Heathrow (one word not two!).

The village it is named after appears as Heath Row on old maps.

The current government
has forced through the third runway and sixth terminal, although
the Tories have stated that they will cancel the third runway if
they are returned to power in the next general election (which
must take place no later than IIRC May 2010). As it stands
however the third runway is due to open in 2020... @_@

Southend Corporation have always wanted to expand Southend airport, which,
at one time, was the main freight airport for London. The road and rail
links would not need a lot of upgrading to make it easily accessible from
London, which would also benefit the town as a whole. Unfortunately, it has
a church at one end of the runway and a main road at the other, so there
would be problems extending it, although a tunnel might be an answer for the
road. The other option discussed has been Manston / Kent International
Airport. The runway is 3km long and very wide - it was built to allow three
Vampire jets to take off simultaneously. However, the approach path would
pass through an already fairly crowded bit of European airspace and would be
on the same line as Heathrow.

Colin Bignell

Old February 7th, 2009, 01:33 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

On Feb 7, 11:53*am, "nightjar" cpb@insert my surname here.me.uk
wrote:

Southend Corporation have always wanted to expand Southend airport, which,
at one time, was the main freight airport for London. The road and rail
links would not need a lot of upgrading to make it easily accessible from
London, which would also benefit the town as a whole.

Surely Stansted - which already has some of the infrastructure and is
a little more accessible for the rest of the country in terms of
location - would be a better option if it was decided to expand in
Essex?
Old February 7th, 2009, 04:44 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
nightjar

wrote:

Southend Corporation have always wanted to expand Southend airport,
which,
at one time, was the main freight airport for London. The road and rail
links would not need a lot of upgrading to make it easily accessible from
London, which would also benefit the town as a whole.

Surely Stansted - which already has some of the infrastructure and is
a little more accessible for the rest of the country in terms of
location - would be a better option if it was decided to expand in
Essex?

Is Stansted more accessible from anywhere else without passing through of
near London? Perhaps from some parts of the East Coast, but I wouldn't have
thought signifanctly more so than an improved Southend. However, while
expanding Stansted would only improve the airport, expanding Southend would
have wider benefits to the area, by making the holiday town much more
accessible.

Colin Bignell

Old February 7th, 2009, 06:14 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black

wrote:

Southend Corporation have always wanted to expand Southend airport,
which,
at one time, was the main freight airport for London. The road and rail
links would not need a lot of upgrading to make it easily accessible
from
London, which would also benefit the town as a whole.

Surely Stansted - which already has some of the infrastructure and is
a little more accessible for the rest of the country in terms of
location - would be a better option if it was decided to expand in
Essex?

Is Stansted more accessible from anywhere else without passing through of
near London? Perhaps from some parts of the East Coast, but I wouldn't
have thought signifanctly more so than an improved Southend.

If you live somewhere, anywhere, more than about 50 miles north of London
then Stanstead is significantly easier to get to.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old February 7th, 2009, 06:16 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

wrote:

[...]

I suppose it depends whether one is primarily expecting the airport to
serve London, or the rest of the country. From the rest-of-the-country
POV Stansted has the M11 linking into the A1(M) (as well as the M25)
plus the rail service through to Birmingham via Peterborough (major
interchange point) and Leicester.

Having said that - presumably if Southend were dramatically expanded,
better road and rail links would follow.