Nightmare with Royal Caribbean

Old January 3rd, 2005, 03:34 AM
Rich

Default Nightmare with Royal Caribbean

I had a very bad experience with Royal Caribbean and missed my Cruise. I
had booked a Western Caribbean cruise on the Rhapsody that departed
Galveston on the Dec. 26th. I booked directly with Royal Caribbean and had
them take care of the air. I could have booked the air cheaper myself but I
always thought that when the cruise line took care of air it was their
responsibility to get you to the ship. I also bought trip insurance from
Royal Caribbean.

We arrived at Buffalo airport to find our flight on Delta was really a
Comair flight to Atlanta and it had been canceled. They had notified Royal
Caribbean the day before. Royal Caribbean did not bother to notify us of
the cancellation. If they had, we could have tried to make alternate
arrangements, even if we had to drive though the night to make the Atlanta
connection. We tried to make alternate arrangements to fly out of Buffalo
to get to any hub, but everything was booked up because of the Comair shut
down.

We called Royal Caribbean and advised them of our situation. We asked if
they could try to get us a flight out of a major airport that we could drive
to and still get us to Galveston. Sandra from operations told me that it
wasn't Royal Caribbean's responsibility to check other airports. I was
shocked with the apathetic, if not mean attitude she had. She had time to
argue with me, at length, but later told her supervisor that she was too
busy to check on other flights. I was also advised that we could not pick
up the cruise at the first port of Key West.

When we got back home we tried to salvage our vacation by booking another
cruse on the Royal Caribbean web site for the following day. We just had
enough time to drive to Miami so we called customer service to advise them
of our alternate plans. Customer service advised us that they could not
authorize the transfer of our monies paid to the new ship and they would
have the executive office call with a decision. When the executive office
finally called it was five hours later, too late to drive to Miami.

I was then advised that there would be no refund of the cruise and they took
no responsibility for all the errors they made with our flight. They said
as a customer courtesy they would give us a credit for another cruise but it
was only good for a year and couldn't be used on Celebrity their sister
company. Our schedule does not permit us to go on another cruise this year.
After arguing at length with Jason Maltais of the executive office he said
if I don't take their offer by the following Monday Jan 3rd he would
withdraw the offer. They also said the trip insurance did not apply because
we never started the trip.

We have taken six cruises on Royal Caribbean and Celebrity. I am shocked
and appalled at the attitude of customer service and the hostile strong arm
tactics of the executive office. If you were like me and thought if you
booked air fare through Royal Caribbean and got their insurance, you were
protected, think again. If you think customer service would be helpful if
thing went wrong, you're in for a surprise.

Rich Milazzo

Old January 3rd, 2005, 03:44 AM
Berniez

This is an amazing story. I live in the Buffalo area. I always book my
own flights for winter cruises and book our flights to leave 2 days
early. This gives me a cushion in the event something like this happens.
This all said, if you used a credit card, I would call the credit card
company and put this whole thing in contest. You have nothing to lose.
Bernie

Old January 3rd, 2005, 08:26 AM
Chip

[...]

This is shocking. I have never heard anything like it before from any cruise
line. They are responsible for the airfare and I can not believe that they
are arguing this. For the experts: What good is cruise insurance? All I ever
see is that it is not applicable to anything. When IS IT APPLICABLE? What
does it really cover? It makes no sense!!!!!

Old January 3rd, 2005, 10:06 AM
JLeary256

The problem was your misconception of thinking the cruiseline was responsible
for getting you to your ship. THEY ARE NOT ON EITHER THEIR BOOKED OR
INDEPENDENT AIR. They are booking agents ONLY. There was a very extensive
article in Conde Nast a while ago that fully explained this. You also left no
room for any snags. The best advice you could have received was to leave at
least a day early, especially when flights are many from Buffalo. They also
probably were full on your other chosen cruise?? And certainly under no
obligation. Since you aren't a "new cruiser" you have given a valuable lesson
to others, and the need to factor in an extra day at the start of a cruise. It
is the best insurance around.

Old January 3rd, 2005, 10:21 AM
Charles

In article , Rich
wrote:

I booked directly with Royal Caribbean and had them take care of the
air. I could have booked the air cheaper myself but I always thought
that when the cruise line took care of air it was their
responsibility to get you to the ship. I also bought trip insurance
from Royal Caribbean.

Another reason to use a travel agent. Were you departing the same day
of the cruise from Buffalo? Not a good idea. Always go a day or two
early.

to and still get us to Galveston. Sandra from operations told me that it
wasn't Royal Caribbean's responsibility to check other airports. I was
shocked with the apathetic, if not mean attitude she had. She had time to
argue with me, at length, but later told her supervisor that she was too
busy to check on other flights. I was also advised that we could not pick
up the cruise at the first port of Key West.

I don't understand why you could not pick up at Key West.

They also said the trip insurance did not apply because
we never started the trip.

Well, you arrived at the airport. So you started the trip.

--
Charles

Old January 3rd, 2005, 02:11 PM
jcoulter

"Rich" wrote in
:

As for insurance read it carefully, third party trip insurance such as
TravelSafe and Travel Guard pecifically include travel interuption and
would apply too most of the interuptions of Christmas week (note nobody
insures for acts of God (ie weather) so it is still a good idea to go a day
ahead.

Old January 3rd, 2005, 04:00 PM
Gregory C. Read

"Charles" wrote in message
d...
In article , Rich
wrote:

. I was also advised that we could not pick
up the cruise at the first port of Key West.

I don't understand why you could not pick up at Key West.

That would be against the Passenger Service Act, since they would be getting
on in one U. S. port and getting off in another U. S. port at the end of the
cruise, without going to a "distant foreign port".

--
Greg
lid