Fish and Chips in London

Old June 6th, 2005, 05:37 PM
chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and

Forget the greasy fish and chips and just down a Whopper instead and
then concentrate on boozing. Food still isn't England's strong point.

Load of rubbish.
It isn't the weak point it once was either.

London is not quite in the category of New York, Paris, or Tokyo for
food, but its restaurant scene has improved a lot, and it's certainly
possible to get first-rate French, Italian, Thai, Middle Eastern, and
of course Indian food there.

I don't know about that. The current buzz is that London is the equal of
those cities- certainly at the top end, and of course, nothing is really
that cheap in London.

Unless you're on a minimal budget or
restricting yourself to strictly British food there's no reason to be
disappointed.

I'd agree with that. I think it is possible to get good 'English' food,
but harder.

I haven't spent enough time in the other British cities
to judge them.

They are all getting better. Manchester, where I live, has a very good
restaurant scene- and a bigger (and in my opinion better) chinatown than
London.

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net
Old June 6th, 2005, 05:37 PM
chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and

The Reids wrote:

Following up to chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and
prestwich tesco

Food still isn't England's strong point.

Load of rubbish.

It isn't the weak point it once was either.

there's still ground to make up on Italy, France and Spain but
its a very out of date view to think food in england is nowadays
poor. The weak point is probably the bottom end of the market.

Yes, I agree with that, though you can eat very well for a similar price
range as in France. I haven't been to Italy since 1997, so I don't
really want to comment on prices and quality- it was very good back then
though. Spain, excellent value. Even Barcelona, which I'd heard was so
expensive, seemed like a real bargain.

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net
Old June 6th, 2005, 05:52 PM
Susan Wachob

Just curious- What kinds of foods are considered "English foods- besides
fish and chips, of course?

Thanks-

Susan

Old June 6th, 2005, 06:02 PM

Susan Wachob wrote:

Just curious- What kinds of foods are considered "English foods- besides
fish and chips, of course?

[]

Oh, lots of different kinds of things, and it will depend on the area as
well. Well known dishes include things like roast beef and yorkshire
pudding, lancashire hotpot, black pudding, toad in the hole, different
kinds of sausages, game, and so on- there's a surprising amount of
variety, but like I say, not always easy to find good quality
'traditional' restaurants. Besides, UK food in general is quite
multicultural nowadays- it's rare to find completely 'English' menus
IME.

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net
Old June 6th, 2005, 06:03 PM
a.spencer3

"Susan Wachob" wrote in message
Just curious- What kinds of foods are considered "English foods- besides
fish and chips, of course?

When our Dutch friends visit they insist on the two meals they don't seem to
get there - a full blown roast beef, Yorkshire etc., and an English fried
breakfast with the lot - black pudding included!

Surreyman
Hundreds of trivia quizzes on travel, geography, history and much more on
http://www.sploofus.com/?ref=surreyman