Best Travel guide books?

Old June 10th, 2005, 04:39 PM
erilar

In article , "Mike Azzopardi"
wrote:

Hi

I'm wondering if anyone has any recomendations on which travel guide
series
are any good?

I'm thinking about the eyewitness account ones since they combine many
cities in one book. I sometimes get the feeling that one book on one city
may be too much if only going away for a short break..

Are there any guides in particular that folks here swear by?

Any help appriciated before I buy one.

Your choice of guide is going to vary greatly according to what you want
from it. I love the Baedecker myself because it offers me the kind of
information I want, in considerable detail. I'm more interested in
history than in "hot" bars and such, I'm past any serious hiking, and I
can find my hotels on the web.

--
Mary Loomer Oliver (aka Erilar)

You can't reason with someone whose first line of argument
is that reason doesn't count. Isaac Asimov

Erilar's Cave Annex: http://www.airstreamcomm.net/~erilarlo
Old June 10th, 2005, 06:49 PM
Jack Campin - bogus address

I'm wondering if anyone has any recomendations on which travel guide
series are any good?

I'm thinking about the eyewitness account ones since they combine
many cities in one book. I sometimes get the feeling that one book
on one city may be too much if only going away for a short break..

If you're going on a short break, there's a good chance you'll
only be seeing one city, so why not get the most relevant
information you can?

From that viewpoint the Insight Guides are terrific. They're
mostly compiled by locals so they have a wider viewpoint than
the more established guidebooks.

I like the Rough Guides for their cultural/historical information.
The Turkey one is particularly good, though it has crappy maps.

Old June 10th, 2005, 10:38 PM
John Bermont

Mike Azzopardi wrote:
Hi

I'm wondering if anyone has any recomendations on which travel guide series
are any good?

I've used a lot of them and my recommendations are summed up on my page at
http://www.enjoy-europe.com/hte/chap10/guide.htm

John Bermont
* * * Mastering Independent Budget Travel * * *
http://www.enjoy-europe.com/

Old June 11th, 2005, 02:41 AM
Go Fig

In article , Mike Azzopardi
wrote:

Hi

I'm wondering if anyone has any recomendations on which travel guide series
are any good?

I'm thinking about the eyewitness account ones since they combine many
cities in one book.

The Eyewitness City Guides are even better, the 3-D renderings of
museum floors, neighborhoods and other attractions are very good...
what it is short on is hotel listings and to a lesser extent,
restaurants... but I always prebook hotels these days.

I see this series in the hands of tourists more than any other... by
far.

jay
Fri Jun 10, 2005

I sometimes get the feeling that one book on one city
may be too much if only going away for a short break..

Are there any guides in particular that folks here swear by?

Any help appriciated before I buy one.

Best Regards
Mike

http://www.soundclick.com/bluemenagerie
"We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams"

Old June 11th, 2005, 02:45 AM
jcoulter

Go Fig wrote in :

In article , Mike Azzopardi
wrote:

[...]

I second eyewitness. My clients get a better idea of where they are
headed and the money and transport tips in the back really make the
first timers feel like they have a chance.

--
Joseph Coulter
Cruises and Vacations

Old June 11th, 2005, 03:55 PM
Donald Newcomb

"Mike Azzopardi" wrote in message
news
I'm wondering if anyone has any recomendations on which travel guide

series
are any good?

I think it's a personal thing, which one you think is better. My personal
preference is for the Dorling Kindersley (a.k.a. Eye Witness) books. I
believe that the photos and 3-D perspective views add a great deal. In other
words, "One picture is worth a thousand words." Other people may like the
copious detail found in Blue Guides, or Rough Guides. It comes down to
personal preference. Go sit down at the library and look through several.

--
Donald Newcomb
DRNewcomb (at) attglobal (dot) net

Old June 11th, 2005, 05:12 PM
Zichu

"Mimi" wrote in message

I, for one, greatly value Barbara's contributions. Who are you?

Marianne

What's that old saying, "Birds of a feather"?

Old June 11th, 2005, 06:30 PM
Frank F. Matthews

Zichu wrote:

"Mimi" wrote in message

I, for one, greatly value Barbara's contributions. Who are you?

Marianne

What's that old saying, "Birds of a feather"?

If so go find another nest.