Best Travel guide books?

Old June 12th, 2005, 04:42 PM
Anzov

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote in message

What's that old saying, "Birds of a feather"?

If so go find another nest.

Something ruffled you feathers then, Frank?

Old June 12th, 2005, 06:23 PM
Frank F. Matthews

Anzov wrote:

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote in message

What's that old saying, "Birds of a feather"?

If so go find another nest.

Something ruffled you feathers then, Frank?

Yep. Dissing Barbara by someone who I haven't notices as contributing
did really get to me.

Old June 12th, 2005, 09:38 PM
Zichu

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote in message

Yep. Dissing Barbara by someone who I haven't notices as contributing
did really get to me.

Under a variety of pseudonyms, I have been contributing with information and
advice on Italy on this forum for several years.

On the other hand, here is just some of the crap you have been wasting
bandwidth with from recent postings. Non of which is of the slightest help
or interest to the people who ask questions in this forum. Sadly, you are
not in a minority. If you have nothing positive to contribute then don't. It
would shorten the audit trail for people posting genuine replys to questions
posed about travel.

Start of quotes//

1. Which is something that bothers me since the Subject usually isn't
changed as the discussion goes off on a tangent.

2. The problem is that folks keep morphing dumb threads into ones that are
interesting. Once they degenerate to exchanges of insults I do kill
them and just hope that good sense doesn't return.

3. It's a Cajun thing and actually quite interesting in the basic idea. An
excellent blend of textures and flavors. Look up the following:

4. Perhaps opinions should be limited to those under 35. Personally a
problem in 2040 isn't a problem.

5. Now I did say that opinions should be from folks who might be affected.

6. Unfortunately for the decendents the second option will probably be thru
extinction and replacement by another form of life. // End of quotes

Old June 13th, 2005, 01:30 PM
Juliana L Holm

I buy several guidebooks (why on earth would I spend thousands on a vacation,
then skimp on a $20 guidebook?). Usually I carry one, or cut them apart and
carry only where I'll be (dependant on how planned our trip is. Last year, to
Italy, I carried pieces, since the itinerary was totally set. This year, to
Germany in the fall, I'm just taking the book, as I'll likely have a relatively
free itinerary)

--
Julie
**********
Old June 13th, 2005, 01:46 PM
Deep Foiled Malls

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 12:30:52 +0000 (UTC), Juliana L Holm
wrote:

I buy several guidebooks (why on earth would I spend thousands on a vacation,
then skimp on a $20 guidebook?)

Weight?
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old June 13th, 2005, 01:52 PM
Juliana L Holm

wrote:

I buy several guidebooks (why on earth would I spend thousands on a vacation,
then skimp on a $20 guidebook?)

Weight?

I don't carry them with me, I read them in advance. Then I either enter the
info into my PDA or tear out the important pages. I carry only one guidebook
in total with me, and usually only on an open-ended trip.

I actually said most of this on the oringial post, but you edited it out.

Thanks,

Julie
--
Julie
**********
Old June 13th, 2005, 02:13 PM
Mike Azzopardi

Thanks for all the advice!

I ended up getting a DK one on Italy, since it has lots of good info on many
cities in Italy, and since I am planning to visit many of them in Italy for
a short stretch of time I thought this would be economical to get this
rather than spend £10 on a book for each city. It seems to have the main
parts from the city DK books pasted into this one and will do me for 2-3
days in each city.

Thanks again!
Mike

http://www.soundclick.com/bluemenagerie
"We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams"

"Mike Azzopardi" wrote in message
news
Hi

I'm wondering if anyone has any recomendations on which travel guide
series are any good?

I'm thinking about the eyewitness account ones since they combine many
cities in one book. I sometimes get the feeling that one book on one city
may be too much if only going away for a short break..

Are there any guides in particular that folks here swear by?

Any help appriciated before I buy one.

Best Regards

Old June 13th, 2005, 03:35 PM
Kristian

"Mike Azzopardi" wrote:

Thanks for all the advice!

I ended up getting a DK one on Italy, since it has lots of good info on many
cities in Italy, and since I am planning to visit many of them in Italy for
a short stretch of time I thought this would be economical to get this
rather than spend £10 on a book for each city. It seems to have the main
parts from the city DK books pasted into this one and will do me for 2-3
days in each city.

I bought a copy of the DK Eyewitness Budapest guide for a trip in
July . The guide seems to be quite good regarding history and
background. One complaint though :the pages seems to come loose !

Kristian