Rocky Point

Old February 11th, 2004, 09:46 PM
Tam

Default Rocky Point

This report is included at R.T.C. Latin America as well. I had =
information from some in this group so wanted you to know that your =
advice was helpful. Thanks

We just returned from Rocky Point, Mexico (Sonora)
We drove from Phoenix and purchased our travel insurance at The Why Not =
Travel Store, they were very helpful and informative. We purchased duty =
free liquor at Lukeville, the prices were not much different than at =
home. They had a limited selection in the Gin and after dinner drink =
categories (Bailey's Irish Cream etc.).
Crossing the border at noon on Friday was very easy although the line up =
of motor homes transporting their secondary vehicles was daunting.
We were staying at the La Princessa Resort (condos) and the location on =
Sandy Beach was absolutely wonderful. The location on the water was very =
nice and we saw many dolphins while we were there. The pools and grounds =
are very clean. We were disappointed that this resort had no hot tub but =
the Sonoran Spa and resort next door does.
They issue wrist bands for the guests to wear and we were not happy to =
have those on while we moved about in town. We removed them after the =
first day and were never asked about them.
I'm guessing that during a busier season they would ask to see them =
while around the pool area and grounds. It is a secured/gated property.
We used the Spa at the Sonoran Spa and Resort (next door to La =
Princessa) and the services were competitively priced and clean. The =
services we used were professionally delivered and would easily =
recommend.
The beach vendors were not aggressive. A polite NO was respected. The =
resort provides bottled water in the condos at no additional charge. =
There is no restaurant on site but next door at the Sonoran you can find =
a small grill which accepts cash or travelers checks only, no credit =
cards.
We had a ground floor unit in the A building .The units are in a =
horseshoe arrangement on the property. B and C are furthest from the =
water and D and E receive the afternoon sun on their balconies. There =
are three pools all nicely sized. They are heated and covered with a =
solar cover at night. The pool was very clean in the area of the A unit =
where we were. They have a fitness center near the pools in a separate =
building.
There are no phones in the condos. All calls come through the =
switchboard. We were unable to access our cell phones except with the =
help of international operator.
It was pointed out to us by other guests that some of the units are =
sparsely furnished and fortunately for us we had first hand knowledge of =
the unit we were in so were not disappointed. The maid will bring clean =
towels, no clean sheets and will sweep up. She did take the trash from =
our unit.
When checking out the unit is inspected after you have removed all your =
belongings and once that is done they will return your damage deposit =
(100.00) They have a cleaning fee (50.00) but we were not asked for it.
We would recommend this property and believe that in less than 5 years =
this area will be entirely built out. Some resorts are being built now =
(golf villas included) and single family homes. It will lose it's =
present day charm once that is finished (IMHO).
We went into Old Port Town and it is the just what you would expect from =
a Mexican border town. The restaurants we ate at were very good and not =
expensive for the amount of food, service and quality of food. The shops =
are your usual tourist fare and the bargains are not what I had found to =
be prevalent in previous trips to Mexico.
The majority of shops in town did not have the quantity of Talevera =
glazed pottery that we expected. The "dirt mall" (on the road to Sandy =
Beach area) had many shops with large inventory of Talevera and we found =
the prices to be quite good. The bargaining was not more than 10.00 off =
on any of the pieces we purchased and believe me we tried.
The largest selection and bargains on the "Lupita" dolls were also =
found at the dirt mall area shops.
All in all we had a great 4 day stay and will no doubt return.

--=20

all messages scanned with Norton Antivirus 2003

Old February 15th, 2004, 01:45 AM
Shashay Doofray

We just returned from Rocky Point, Mexico (Sonora)

You probably could have squinted your eyes and pretended you were in San
Diego. Why go to Mexico if you are going to be in an area that is not much
different than the USA?

SD

Old February 15th, 2004, 06:18 AM
Hatunen

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 19:45:15 -0600, "Shashay Doofray"
wrote:

We just returned from Rocky Point, Mexico (Sonora)

You probably could have squinted your eyes and pretended you were in San
Diego. Why go to Mexico if you are going to be in an area that is not much
different than the USA?

You've never been to Rocky Point, have you? Trust me, it won't
look like San Diego no matter how much you squint your eyes.

Old February 15th, 2004, 07:41 PM
Tam

I agree with Dave...nothing even remotely like San Diego and it's even =
differnt than some other border towns I have been to...like Laredo and =
Tijuana

"Shashay Doofray" wrote in message =
We just returned from Rocky Point, Mexico (Sonora)
=20