Bangkok Hotel Search

Old February 21st, 2008, 04:28 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Joe Pessarra

Default Bangkok Hotel Search

Looking for information and suggestions on hotels in the main downtown
section of Bangkok. Appreciate advice.

Joe in Texas

Old February 21st, 2008, 05:32 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
grusl[_3_]

"Joe Pessarra" wrote in message
. ..
Looking for information and suggestions on hotels in the main downtown
section of Bangkok. Appreciate advice.

An idea of your budget would help any possible responders.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Old February 21st, 2008, 06:59 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
jbec

"grusl" wrote in message

"Joe Pessarra" wrote in message
. ..
Looking for information and suggestions on hotels in the main downtown
section of Bangkok. Appreciate advice.

An idea of your budget would help any possible responders.

As would some clue as to the preferred district. Bangkok has several
distinct precincts which could be referred to as "downtown".

Old February 21st, 2008, 08:47 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
grusl[_3_]

"jbec" wrote in message

"grusl" wrote in message

"Joe Pessarra" wrote in message
. ..
Looking for information and suggestions on hotels in the main downtown
section of Bangkok. Appreciate advice.

An idea of your budget would help any possible responders.

As would some clue as to the preferred district. Bangkok has several
distinct precincts which could be referred to as "downtown".

Good point.

OP might find it worth staying around Silom or Sukhumvit for ease of getting
around, BTS/Skytrain etc, if he's new to Bangkok. Areas closer to the river
are also interesting, and can be kind of downtown-ish.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Old February 21st, 2008, 12:45 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alan S[_1_]

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 17:59:30 +1100, "jbec"
wrote:

"grusl" wrote in message

"Joe Pessarra" wrote in message
. ..
Looking for information and suggestions on hotels in the main downtown
section of Bangkok. Appreciate advice.

An idea of your budget would help any possible responders.

As would some clue as to the preferred district. Bangkok has several
distinct precincts which could be referred to as "downtown".

I'd be interested in district recommendation myself for two
nights with a day between in a couple of weeks.

I'm already booked out of town, towards the airport at the
13 Coins, but latest tripadvisor reports look a bit rough so
I'm thinking of changing.

What district would you recommend for someone interested in
culture and history, not the red light district or fancy
restaurants or shopping. The reports on hotels near the
palace imply that the district is a bit seedy, so I'm open
to suggestions.

I don't need luxury, but I do need a pleasant room, a
comfortable bed, no bugs or mosquitos, airconditioning and
to be able to wander around near the hotel without being
mugged or run over if possible.

Incidentally, has anyone stayed at the Airport 13 Coins? Any
feedback? I may still stay there.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
latest: Slovenia
Old February 21st, 2008, 01:21 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
grusl[_3_]

wrote:

"grusl" wrote in message

[...]

I'm by no means a Bangkok expert but either work, a transit to Indochina, or
a sudden desire to be briefly out of India, takes me there 3-4 times a year.

In Bangkok, seedy doesn't mean unsafe. I sometimes stay at the Majestic
Suites on Sukhumvit near Nana, which is definitely a red light area, but I
just find it convenient, as there's nearby hotels and pubs, a useful
supermarket, Internet and a Middle Eastern restaurant area.
(www.majesticsuites.com). The eastern end of Sukhumvit, around the 30s-40s,
has also emerged as a non-seedy entertainment area, with more restaurants
and even a microbrewery.

For business travel I use the charmless but ingratiating, expensive but
convenient InterContinental, also on Sukhumvit. I've also stayed at the
Royal River on the Thonburi side of the Chao Phraya, which was adequate.
It's great taking a river taxi into town.

The palace area is fascinating but I've never been there after dark. Wear
headgear - there's not much shade.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Old February 21st, 2008, 01:30 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Markku Grönroos

"Alan S" kirjoitti
om...

What district would you recommend for someone interested in
culture and history, not the red light district or fancy
restaurants or shopping. The reports on hotels near the
palace imply that the district is a bit seedy, so I'm open
to suggestions.

I don't need luxury, but I do need a pleasant room, a
comfortable bed, no bugs or mosquitos, airconditioning and
to be able to wander around near the hotel without being
mugged or run over if possible.

Silom caters lots of decently priced hotels. The Asia Rooms online agent
(among one billion others) lists lots of them. Just pick up one.

Old February 22nd, 2008, 12:19 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alan S[_1_]

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 18:51:50 +0530, "grusl"
wrote:

"Alan S" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 17:59:30 +1100, "jbec"
wrote:

"grusl" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Thanks George.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old February 22nd, 2008, 04:53 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
jbec

"grusl" wrote in message

I'd be interested in district recommendation myself for two
nights with a day between in a couple of weeks.

Sukhumwit is red-lightish, but you can ignore that simply by staying out of
Soi 4 and Cowboy. It is the best district for the newcomer because it is on
the Skytrain and Underground lines, which are essential features of a trip
to Bangkok. Pick a hotel within 300 metres of a station and you will have
access to a broad cross-section of Bangkok quickly and cheaply.

The river area is nice enough, but you must either stay in the area or use
taxis all the time, which can be very time-consuming in Bangkok traffic.

Old February 22nd, 2008, 08:46 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
grusl[_3_]

"jbec" wrote in message

"grusl" wrote in message

I'd be interested in district recommendation myself for two
nights with a day between in a couple of weeks.

For the record, I didn't write that. It was Alan's question.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore