Train Types?

Old May 21st, 2004, 08:58 PM
Bob Wallace

Default Train Types?

I've been reading some posts about the trains and I noticed people talks
about different train types, like eurostar trains, IC trains, ETR-something.
Im planning to visit germany, france and italy and im a little confused, can
somebody please brief me on the train types and options?
(I do know there's 2nd class and 1st class available)

Thanks!

Steven

Old May 21st, 2004, 09:11 PM
Luca Logi

Bob Wallace wrote:

I've been reading some posts about the trains and I noticed people talks
about different train types, like eurostar trains, IC trains, ETR-something.
Im planning to visit germany, france and italy and im a little confused, can
somebody please brief me on the train types and options?

For Italy:

ES (Eurostar Italia, not to be confused with Eurostar trains using the
Chunnel) - top speed, reservation compulsory

IC (Intercity, national) and EC (Eurocity, international) - quite fast,
supplement required, reservation possible but not compulsory

ICN (Intercity night, national) and EN (Euronight, international) -
night trains, usually with couchette and bed cars only

E (espresso) - long range train, no supplement

D (diretto) and IR (Interregionale) stop fairly frequently

R (regionale) stops at (almost) every station

--
Luca Logi - Firenze - Italy e-mail:
Home page:
Old May 21st, 2004, 09:31 PM
freeda

[...]

Similar for Germany:

ICE - Intercity Express very fast, few stops, Reservations needed.

IC - Intercity, not as fast as the the ICE and stops more frequently

R - Regional, slow trains, stops at most stations.

Old May 21st, 2004, 10:00 PM
Lennart Petersen

"freeda" skrev i meddelandet
[...]

Not true.
Sorry,but you can board an ICE-train without prior reservation.
However with some tickets,like Interrail, you need a supplement for ICE.

Old May 21st, 2004, 10:06 PM
Bob Wallace

Thanks Luca and Fredda! got it for germany and italy.
One more q
What about the trains to go from one country to another, for example from
germany to paris and from paris to italy?
Are there also many different options?

Thanks again!

Old May 21st, 2004, 11:52 PM
David Bennetts

"Bob Wallace" wrote in message
Thanks Luca and Fredda! got it for germany and italy.
One more q
What about the trains to go from one country to another, for example from
germany to paris and from paris to italy?
Are there also many different options?

Thanks again!

Have a look at http://www.raileurope.com/us/rail/specialty/index.htm

- this will possibly clarify types of trains for the different international
routes for you.

Regards

David Bennetts

Old May 22nd, 2004, 04:17 AM
Pete

ICE - Intercity Express very fast, few stops, Reservations needed.
Not true.
Sorry,but you can board an ICE-train without prior reservation.

Having just ridden a few of these, I can confirm Lennart's words. It
seemed that 1/3-1/2 of the seats were reserved but the remainder
were free (in first class). The ticket clerk told me that seats were
usually available (non-reserved). However, if you are traveling from
a city near Frankfurt to Frankfurt, for example, the train may be very
full during the business rush (just before or after work).

Pete

Old May 22nd, 2004, 01:17 PM
Alan Harrison

"David Bennetts" wrote in message

Have a look at http://www.raileurope.com/us/rail/specialty/index.htm

- this will possibly clarify types of trains for the different

international
routes for you.

Use the site for info, but beware of booking there. This company is
notorious on this NG for separting Americans from dollars!

Alan Harrison (friendly Limey helping our chums across the pond!)

Old May 22nd, 2004, 02:08 PM
jcoulter

"Alan Harrison" wrote in news:c8ngd1$b7u
:

"David Bennetts" wrote in message

Have a look at http://www.raileurope.com/us/rail/specialty/index.htm

- this will possibly clarify types of trains for the different

international
routes for you.

Use the site for info, but beware of booking there. This company is
notorious on this NG for separting Americans from dollars!

Alan Harrison (friendly Limey helping our chums across the pond!)

In all fairness Alan, This company also is willing to relieve Canadians
of what ever income they have after taxes.
Old May 22nd, 2004, 10:15 PM
Graham Harrison

I think you will find that the ETR- something is the "class" code that the
railway assigns to each piece of equipment to keep track of it. As a day
to day traveller you don't need to worry about it.