Terrorism effect?

Old July 24th, 2005, 05:54 AM
Mike

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 20:31:55 -0700, Ray Goldenberg
wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I would like to assure our readers that the baggage is suppose to be
x-rayed before it is loaded onto the ship. I can not speak to a
specific situation that Mark says he saw. I can assure you that I
have witnessed many of these checks and they were certainly not
"perfunctory". Can something still get by? Probably, but the chances
are greatly lessened due to the careful screening.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com

If terrorists wanted to attack a cruise ship, or get a bomb onbord,
they would have no problem.
Old July 24th, 2005, 06:11 AM
Ray Goldenberg

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 04:54:32 GMT, Mike
wrote:

If terrorists wanted to attack a cruise ship, or get a bomb onbord,
they would have no problem.

Hi Mike,

Maybe they could and maybe they couldn't. One of the missions is to
make it more difficult so they will pick a softer target or remain
overseas as they have since 9/11.

Old July 24th, 2005, 06:12 AM
Benjamin Smith

Chrissy Cruiser wrote:
On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 12:24:19 -0700, BillRoddy wrote:

What effect do you think terrorism will have on cruising?

It will depend on the act and where it happens. A direct hit on a cruise
ship would cause a massive downturn in cruising. A direct hit on a cruise
ship in American waters might cripple the industry for years.

It took the industry two years + to get over the 9/11 hump and that had
nothing to do with ships/water.

It's hard to say. There would be an effect, but would people be defiant
and cruise? They may get the idea that it wouldn't happen again anytime
soon.

9/11 had to do with flying, which has a connection to getting to ships.

On another note, I have to say there is selective grief and
acknowledgment of human suffering related to and around claims of
actions against terrorism. The most affected are Iraqis, who die of
war-related civilian bombings on a sadly regular basis. The other issue
is that we rightly acknowledged the horror of what Londoners dealt with
on July 7th, and a few cruise boards acknowledged their pain and
suffering. Yet, over 90 or so were killed in an Egyptian resort of Sharm
al-Sheikh and its not being acknowledged in the same way. It's all the
same. Human death via bombings of populated areas with people somewhere
on earth losing their lives and leaving grieving loved ones.

Ben S.
Old July 24th, 2005, 06:29 AM
Benjamin Smith

Dick Goldhaber wrote:

In an amazing turn of events, British police, who yesterday seemed to
have the most recent terrorist attack under control, today admitted that
the man who was shot in the head five times on a crowded "carriage" was
killed by mistake.

I find it interesting that many witnesses said the man was Asian. He was
Brazilian, and does not seem to have Asian features.

http://tinyurl.com/e2ltq

Al Quida must have had a hoot over that.

It's hard to say who al Qaeda is, but I find it strange that 4 bombs did
not explode. Something isn't right about it, something doesn't add up. I
think al Qaeda's primary concern is whether their "missions" end up
killing people opposed to what goes on in Western societies. From what
I've heard from al Qaeda's spokesman, they are much more concerned with
getting more recruits in on their ideology and driving Western "forces"
out of their societies yet use the openness in Western countries to gain
access to potential recruits. The tragic killing of the Brazilian man
Charles de Menezes goes along with all of the added security and
compromised functioning of the city which reveals that terrorism does
indeed affect populations, no matter how much the politicians state that
the population should go on as usual, but at the same time be extra
vigilant.

--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ

Old July 24th, 2005, 07:10 AM
Benjamin Smith

wrote:

If terrorists wanted to attack a cruise ship, or get a bomb onbord,
they would have no problem.

Hi Mike,

Maybe they could and maybe they couldn't. One of the missions is to
make it more difficult so they will pick a softer target or remain
overseas as they have since 9/11.

9/11 as a date is not a guage for anything timewise. The first attack
on the World Trade Center was in 1993. The next, much more devasating
one, in 2001. Cells were in the US and patient. Who knows who is here
and what they are planning and when it will be carried out on American
soil. al Qaeda is just too many disparate organization for us to be
secure that we know what "branches" are where and what they are
planning. And, hitting Britian and Spain is hitting Western countries,
countries with which we share intelligence.

Another thing is the attack on the Egyptian resort. Many British people
and other Westerners visit that resort. So, the idea is to kill
Westeners wherever they are, and they may pick a popular resort
frequented by Americans via ships. They hit Bali and a few Egyptian
resorts already.

Ben S.

Old July 24th, 2005, 08:04 AM
Ray Goldenberg

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 06:10:45 GMT, Benjamin Smith
wrote:

9/11 as a date is not a guage for anything timewise. The first attack
on the World Trade Center was in 1993.

Hi Ben,

I respect your opinion but mine is different.

Old July 24th, 2005, 12:28 PM
Charles

In article , Mike
wrote:

If terrorists wanted to attack a cruise ship, or get a bomb onbord,
they would have no problem.

There is security. They have put up major obstacles. They do scan all
the bags before you get on the ship at embarkation. Polo is remembering
something from before 9/11. At some of the terminals that don't have
walls like the Pan American in San Juan you can see the machines, the
same type the TSA uses at airports for checked bags. All the carry on
bags get scanned too. And every individual goes through a metal
detector in the terminal building before getting to the ship. At the
ports they check ID before getting on the dock and before getting back
on the ship any bags are scanned, you go through a detector, and your
face is matched to the picture that was taken when you embarked. Before
you get on a ship your name has been checked by the government. On the
outside of the ship they send divers underwater. At the US ports the
ship is escorted by the Coast Guard.

--
Charles
Old July 24th, 2005, 01:02 PM
Charles

In article et,
Benjamin Smith wrote:

It's hard to say who al Qaeda is, but I find it strange that 4 bombs did
not explode. Something isn't right about it, something doesn't add up. I

You think they are omnipotent? Most likely their bomb maker made a
mistake.

The tragic killing of the Brazilian man Charles de Menezes goes along
with all of the added security and compromised functioning of the
city which reveals that terrorism does indeed affect populations, no
matter how much the politicians state that the population should go
on as usual, but at the same time be extra vigilant.

Terrorism does have an effect. But it is all negative. It will be
negative for the terrorists too. Whatever their cause is or they think
it is they are not helping it.

--
Charles
Old July 24th, 2005, 01:46 PM
Rosalie B.

Charles wrote:

In article , Mike
wrote:

snip.
At the
ports they check ID before getting on the dock and before getting back
on the ship any bags are scanned, you go through a detector, and your
face is matched to the picture that was taken when you embarked. snip

I did not find that our bags were scanned in port. The scanner wasn't
even on. The did check our ID most of the time.

grandma Rosalie