Official Was On 'disaster' Cruise!

Old August 4th, 2005, 06:48 PM
Ray Goldenberg

Default Official Was On 'disaster' Cruise!

Hi Everyone,

I saw this article in the Jersey Journal.
http://tinyurl.com/am8qw
I think someone should explain what to these folks what a "disaster"
is. %+( If you have missed any of my news' postings, they are
archived on my web site.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com
Old August 4th, 2005, 09:24 PM
Jean O'Boyle

"Ray Goldenberg" wrote in message
Hi Everyone,

I saw this article in the Jersey Journal.
http://tinyurl.com/am8qw
I think someone should explain what to these folks what a "disaster"
is. %+( If you have missed any of my news' postings, they are
archived on my web site.

How can she function as a good commissioner and city council member if she
does not read the fine print? Apparently she did not read the contract that
she received when she booked the cruise..As a mother, you'd think she would
appreciate that the captain kept her and her son out of harm's way...

--Jean

Old August 4th, 2005, 10:36 PM
RichC

I guess they didn't take the notice very seriously "Boarding the ship,
passengers were greeted by crew members who handed them fliers advising that
their itinerary had been rerouted."
It seems to me they were given the chance to back out if they wanted but
they took their chances & then bitched about it because of the cool weather.
They should consider themselves lucky to receive a $45 rebate for the
difference in port charges.

Old August 4th, 2005, 11:03 PM
Dillon Pyron

Thus spake "RichC" :

I guess they didn't take the notice very seriously "Boarding the ship,
passengers were greeted by crew members who handed them fliers advising that
their itinerary had been rerouted."
It seems to me they were given the chance to back out if they wanted but
they took their chances & then bitched about it because of the cool weather.
They should consider themselves lucky to receive a $45 rebate for the
difference in port charges.

I agree. She knew, in advance, that the ship was being rerouted.
That gave her the option, AT THAT POINT, to disembark and get a
refund. She accepted the conditions. As someone else pointed out,
read the contract (how many times are we going to say that here? Hmm,
mirror still says face is not blue).

"Ray Goldenberg" wrote in message
.. .
Hi Everyone,

I saw this article in the Jersey Journal.
http://tinyurl.com/am8qw
I think someone should explain what to these folks what a "disaster"
is. %+( If you have missed any of my news' postings, they are

^^^^^ Ray, are you cursing?

--
dillon

Linux, it's not just an OS, it's a way
of life.

And a damn fine one, at that.
Old August 5th, 2005, 04:58 AM
mrtravel

RichC wrote:

I guess they didn't take the notice very seriously "Boarding the ship,
passengers were greeted by crew members who handed them fliers advising that
their itinerary had been rerouted."
It seems to me they were given the chance to back out if they wanted but
they took their chances & then bitched about it because of the cool weather.
They should consider themselves lucky to receive a $45 rebate for the
difference in port charges.

I think the problem is that once your are at the point of departure, it
is kind difficult to not cruise to somewhere. After all, you have been
long anticipating a cruise to Bermuda. You took time off from work. You
made arrangements for Grannie to take the kids. You are ready to
vacation. It is a bit to late to get decent airfares to Bermuda on the
day of departure. I wouldn't call it "lucky" to get the $45. If they
overpaid for port charges, they should be entitled to the lower rate.
However, staying on this ship and they planning some kind of "event" at
the end of the cruise is definitely not the thing to do. Changing the
itinerary was not something a cruise lines does without some thought.
After all, they want customers to return and to recommend them to other
people.

Old August 5th, 2005, 01:17 PM

AT THAT POINT, to disembark and get a
refund. She accepted the conditions. As someone else pointed out,
read the contract (how many times are we going to say that here? Hmm,
mirror still says face is not blue

Not one of the people interviewed said a refund was offered due to the
fraud perpetrated by RC. It was either cruise to an inferior and
unintended location or cancel and face penalty fees. Even the
representative of RC never mentioned a refund would be given for their
misrepresentation.

Old August 5th, 2005, 06:09 PM
MarkT

wrote in message
oups.com...
Not one of the people interviewed said a refund was offered due to the
fraud perpetrated by RC. It was either cruise to an inferior and
unintended location or cancel and face penalty fees. Even the
representative of RC never mentioned a refund would be given for their
misrepresentation.

FRAUD!?!?!?!? Give me a break! It is posts like this that show the gene
pool in the world today must be deteriorating. What were they to do, go
into the teeth of a hurricane with the passengers? Maybe they should have
voted? That's a good one.

Assuming you have ever been on a cruise, go find your ticket and read what
the fine print says. You are booking passage on a ship (particular ship not
guaranteed) and the cruise line may, at their discretion, modify the time of
the cruise and the ports of call. Nowhere does it say that you get your
money back. That is a courtesy at best, not a right.

Booking a cruise is a bit of a chance, because of the weather. Anyone in
their right mind (I suspect that excludes most residents of New Jersey and
New York, from personal experience) would know and understand that.

I live in Florida. So far, I still have insurance. But, no guarantee from
the insurance co. that I won't have a hurricane.

Royal Caribbean tried to give them a good week. If some pax (and I suspect
it was a very few) didn't like it, too bad. Buy a camper and go to the
Grand Canyon next time and leave the cruising to those of us who enjoy it no
matter where it goes.

I know the flames will begin, but this griping and whining about unrealistic
expectations and circumstances beyond anyone's control. 'Nuff said.

Mark T.

Old August 5th, 2005, 06:24 PM
Charles

In article Y2NIe.1530$sv.846@trnddc08, MarkT
wrote:

I know the flames will begin, but this griping and whining about unrealistic
expectations and circumstances beyond anyone's control. 'Nuff said.

I agree with you. And imagine all the griping if the cruise had been
canceled instead of diverting. I have booked a cruise to Bermuda in
September. I know about the possibility hurricanes. I am taking a week
off of work. While I will be disappointed if the weather does not
cooperate, I will gladly take Canada over nothing !!!

--
Charles
Old August 5th, 2005, 07:44 PM
Poncho Liner

"MarkT" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Agreed. We took a Bermuda cruise a few years ago. We left New York at 4pm
on a Saturday. Late that night we hit rough seas and on Sunday it was
really rough but not enough to be rerouted. We hit the tail end of a
hurricane. I can only imagine what it would have been like if that RCL ship
had continued on it's course and hit the hurricane dead on. For one thing
it would never happen, but if it did, those sorry assed complainers would
really have something to bitch about, like 'why didn't the Captain change
course?', "why were we allowed to get sea sick in such rough weather?", etc,
etc. HOWEVER, RCL could have offered maybe half off on another BERMUDA
cruise for compensation. After all, the people booked for Bermuda and
didn't get to go, although it wasn't RCL's fault, it would have been a great
public relations tool. There really isn't any other place that could
replace Bermuda.

Old August 5th, 2005, 07:49 PM
Poncho Liner

d...
wrote:

I know the flames will begin, but this griping and whining about
unrealistic
expectations and circumstances beyond anyone's control. 'Nuff said.

I agree with you. And imagine all the griping if the cruise had been
canceled instead of diverting. I have booked a cruise to Bermuda in
September. I know about the possibility hurricanes. I am taking a week
off of work. While I will be disappointed if the weather does not
cooperate, I will gladly take Canada over nothing !!!

--
Charles

Hey Charles, want to make a bet? I'm going out of Miami on 9-11 (of all
dates) and crossing my fingers that "Ralph, or Petra, or Qbert" don't show
up. My daughter lives in Tampa, so we are driving from Kansas City to spend
a few days with her and then on to Miami for the cruise. If I see traffic
heading North, guess we will just turn around. I took out cruise insurance
just in case. We took a Bermuda cruise a few years ago and hit the end of a
hurricane both going and returning to New York. Seas were rather rough but
not enough to bother me. I think I was the only one on the ship carrying a
large video camera while holding a Miller Lite, looking for something to
eat. Lot's of green faces on that cruise. One of the best parts of that
cruise was the relocation from St Georges around to Hamilton early in the
morning. Everyone was out on deck looking at the island and the sunrise.

Have a great cruise as I know you will, regardless of what happens. Nothing
beats cruising, even diverted ones.