Is Vienna the only city alive in Europe on weekends?

Old March 26th, 2009, 09:48 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
PJ O'Donovan[_1_]

Default Is Vienna the only city alive in Europe on weekends?

This American and his wife are discussing what city in Europe to go
to celebrate my 80th birthday coming up.

After having travelled to Europe for over 40 years, this
Septuagenarian soon to become an Octogenarian remembers that European
disease that everything must be closed on the weekends.

'Geschlossen" and "Chiusio" must be some of the favorite words in the
German vocabulary and Italian vocabulary respectively.

This disease to "lock every thing up" on the weekends is bad enough in
the major cities of Europe but unbelievable in the smaller towns which
become "ghost towns " on weekends to the extent we as even small town
Americans have found said disease to be an unbelievable condition.

An exception seems to be Vienna where I recall restaurants etc. were
open not only weekends and even on New Years Day when we were there a
few years ago when we celebrated the New year at the Palais
Schwarzenberg there.

Please advise if those conditions still prevail in European cities so
we can plan accordingly.
Old March 27th, 2009, 02:12 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jack Campin - bogus address

This American and his wife are discussing what city in Europe
to go to celebrate my 80th birthday coming up.
After having travelled to Europe for over 40 years, this
Septuagenarian soon to become an Octogenarian remembers that
European disease that everything must be closed on the weekends.
Please advise if those conditions still prevail in European
cities so we can plan accordingly.

In some. Not in Edinburgh or Istanbul.

The deadest place I've ever been in my life was Pittsburgh on
Thanksgiving. ****, did I ever learn to hate American public
holidays - if you haven't got a family to eat dead birds with
your only source of entertainment is likely to be McDonalds.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
Old March 27th, 2009, 02:40 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
AZ Nomad[_3_]

On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 02:12:48 +0000, Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:
This American and his wife are discussing what city in Europe
to go to celebrate my 80th birthday coming up.
After having travelled to Europe for over 40 years, this
Septuagenarian soon to become an Octogenarian remembers that
European disease that everything must be closed on the weekends.
Please advise if those conditions still prevail in European
cities so we can plan accordingly.

In some. Not in Edinburgh or Istanbul.

The deadest place I've ever been in my life was Pittsburgh on
Thanksgiving. ****, did I ever learn to hate American public
holidays - if you haven't got a family to eat dead birds with
your only source of entertainment is likely to be McDonalds.

Too bad you didn't have any friends either.
Old March 27th, 2009, 09:39 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

"PJ O'Donovan" wrote in message
This American and his wife are discussing what city in Europe to go
to celebrate my 80th birthday coming up.

After having travelled to Europe for over 40 years, this
Septuagenarian soon to become an Octogenarian remembers that European
disease that everything must be closed on the weekends.

'Geschlossen" and "Chiusio" must be some of the favorite words in the
German vocabulary and Italian vocabulary respectively.

This disease to "lock every thing up" on the weekends is bad enough in
the major cities of Europe but unbelievable in the smaller towns which
become "ghost towns " on weekends to the extent we as even small town
Americans have found said disease to be an unbelievable condition.

An exception seems to be Vienna where I recall restaurants etc.

I can't recall that I've ever been to a major city where the majority of
restaurants close at weekends, Shops yes, restaurants no.

tim

Old March 27th, 2009, 11:28 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
PJ O'Donovan[_1_]

On Mar 26, 6:12 pm, Jack Campin - bogus address
wrote:
This American and his wife are discussing what city in Europe
to go to celebrate my 80th birthday coming up.
After having travelled to Europe for over 40 years, this
Septuagenarian soon to become an Octogenarian remembers that
European disease that everything must be closed on the weekends.
Please advise if those conditions still prevail in European
cities so we can plan accordingly.

In some. Not in Edinburgh or Istanbul.

The deadest place I've ever been in my life was Pittsburgh on
Thanksgiving. ****, did I ever learn to hate American public
holidays - if you haven't got a family to eat dead birds with
your only source of entertainment is likely to be McDonalds.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www..campin.me.uk ====

My wife is from Pennsylvania originally. We have family there and
although we live in Georgia we both went to school there and we visit
regularly.

Although PA is an exception to the rest of the US I do have to agree
it dies on holidays and Sundays.

I have attributed it to the PA/Dutch (German) influence there in PA
and that German fetish to close and lock things up at every possible
opportunity.

As an example I checked out a small apartment/ hotel in Bavaria near
Garmisch Partenkirchen we like and have frequented in past years to
determine when it is closed and when it is open. I recall we had to
check carefully to determine when it was in fact open when we
traveled to that area.

The following is a translation of the place as it appears in the red
michelin:

Closed Jan 9 to Jan 31.
Closed Mar 11 through April 30
Closed Nov 19 to Dec 31
Closed every Monday and Tueday.

I concluded some years ago that this place must be there as a hobby
or tax write off for some aristocrat. There certainly is no attempt
at maximizing revenue.

The Italian museums and other buildings are another story. I recall a
priest in Firenze some years ago throwing everyone out of a church and
locking the doors as siesta began.
Old March 27th, 2009, 11:36 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erick T. Barkhuis

PJ O'Donovan:

The following is a translation of the place as it appears in the red
michelin:

Closed Jan 9 to Jan 31.
Closed Mar 11 through April 30
Closed Nov 19 to Dec 31
Closed every Monday and Tueday.

I concluded some years ago that this place must be there as a hobby
or tax write off for some aristocrat. There certainly is no attempt
at maximizing revenue.

Why would they even try to maximize revenue, if they are certain that
they have 'sufficient revenue' as it is?
Some people see spare time as equally valuable as money (if they have
enough of the latter to enjoy the former).

--
Erick
Old March 27th, 2009, 12:45 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom P[_6_]

wrote:
[...]

The closing dates you mention are completely off-season. It may come
as a surprise to you to know that even people who run holiday apartments
are human beings who like to have vacations.
If by closed Monday and Tuesday you mean "Ruhetag", this is the day
when the restaurant is shut. It does not mean that the hotel is shut.

I concluded some years ago that this place must be there as a hobby
or tax write off for some aristocrat. There certainly is no attempt
at maximizing revenue.

If you've stayed there you should have noticed whether the owners are
aristocratic. Quite often these places are owned by families who just
run them on the side as a way of earning some money during the holiday
season.
We stayed at a small apartment house in Austria this winter run by a
very friendly couple who had built the place themselves. They were
delighted to show us round all the other apartments between lets, we had
some chats about what our respective children were doing. Over the
weekend while we were there they went off to go skiing in Kitzbuhel.

Old March 27th, 2009, 05:18 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
PJ O'Donovan[_3_]

As an example I checked out a small apartment/ hotel in Bavaria near
Garmisch Partenkirchen we like and have frequented in past years to
determine when it is closed and when it is open. I recall we had to
check carefully to determine when it was in fact open when we
traveled to that area.

The following is a translation of the place as it appears in the red
michelin:

Closed Jan 9 to Jan 31.
Closed Mar 11 through April 30
Closed Nov 19 to Dec 31
Closed every Monday and Tueday

PJ

The closing dates you mention are completely off-season.

Tom P

From 98 to 06, my wife and I owned a summer mountain house in the Blue
Ridge mountains of North Carolina. We sold it, took the profit and
down sized to a smaller mountain house in the mountains of North
georgia to be closer to our primary residence in southern Georgia in
06.

Both mountain houses are in summer resort communities but nearly every
thing is open for 12 months 7 days per week. A few shops close on
Sundays, others open all day Sunday and others closed Sunday mornings
only to take advantage of weekend tourist business from the metro
areas within a day's drive..

Our one son has a construction business in a beach resort along the
Atlantic coast in New Jersey. Same thing there even though it is a
summer resort place most things are open 12 months 7 days. A few shops
selling beach articles and soda stands on the boardwalk are seasonal
only.

Things are different in the states compared to Europe. Blame it on the
pursuit of the almighty buck if you like.

Old March 27th, 2009, 07:57 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge14[_2_]

Default Is Vienna the only city alive in Europe on weekends? if donovan comes, then no !!!

Yankee stay home and spend your end of life in Texas !

"PJ O'Donovan" a écrit dans le message de

As an example I checked out a small apartment/ hotel in Bavaria near
Garmisch Partenkirchen we like and have frequented in past years to
determine when it is closed and when it is open. I recall we had to
check carefully to determine when it was in fact open when we
traveled to that area.

The following is a translation of the place as it appears in the red
michelin:

Closed Jan 9 to Jan 31.
Closed Mar 11 through April 30
Closed Nov 19 to Dec 31
Closed every Monday and Tueday

PJ

The closing dates you mention are completely off-season.

Tom P

From 98 to 06, my wife and I owned a summer mountain house in the Blue