Test message

Old April 15th, 2009, 11:08 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Gerry[_5_]

Default Test message

Testing................1,2,3,4

Old April 15th, 2009, 11:10 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ian F.

"Gerry" wrote in message ...

Testing................1,2,3,4

alt.test is that way --------------------

Ian
Old April 15th, 2009, 03:25 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
AZ Nomad[_3_]

On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 12:24:21 +0200, Martin wrote:
On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 11:10:39 +0100, "Ian F."
wrote:

"Gerry" wrote in message ...

Testing................1,2,3,4

alt.test is that way --------------------

Test posters this way -------- BIN

True. I usually plonk test posters immediately. They've gone to the
trouble of announcing to the world that they are not only clueless
but have a MFFY attitude. So kind of them to same me the effort later.
Old April 15th, 2009, 06:16 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
James Silverton[_2_]

AZ wrote on Wed, 15 Apr 2009 09:25:50 -0500:

On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 12:24:21 +0200, Martin wrote:
On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 11:10:39 +0100, "Ian F."
wrote:

"Gerry" wrote in message

Testing................1,2,3,4

alt.test is that way --------------------

Test posters this way -------- BIN

AFAIK, all news servers have had test groups practically since they
started. It is amazing how the news has not reached some people, tho' I
have to admit that it is possible to make a mistake.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old April 15th, 2009, 06:47 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erick T. Barkhuis

Pentaxuser:
"James Silverton" wrote:

AFAIK, all news servers have had test groups practically since they
started. It is amazing how the news has not reached some people, tho' I
have to admit that it is possible to make a mistake.

but compared to the trolls, spammers and assorted nutters here, is it
that bad?

't is not!
Also, how else do you want someone to test whether or not he can
successfully post to r.t.e.?
Old April 15th, 2009, 07:09 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erick T. Barkhuis

Martin:
On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 19:47:10 +0200, Erick T. Barkhuis
-o-m wrote:

Also, how else do you want someone to test whether or not he can
successfully post to r.t.e.?

By posting a meaningful message?

That wouldn't be a test. He just wanted to test whether or not he could
successfully post to r.t.e.

If you wanted to test the sound quality in a room, you wouldn't be
doing your full speech. Neither would you want to yell "test one
two..." in the room nextdoor.

Where is the follow up to his test?

I wouldn't know. Haven't been looking for one, though.

[removing tongue from cheek, now]

Old April 15th, 2009, 07:29 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 17:16:09 GMT, "James Silverton"
wrote:

AFAIK, all news servers have had test groups practically since they
started. It is amazing how the news has not reached some people, tho' I
have to admit that it is possible to make a mistake.

The problem with this is that by using your own ISP's news server
you are only testing whether your message propagates to other
users of your ISP and not globally.

Old April 15th, 2009, 07:56 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
James Silverton[_2_]

Hatunen wrote on Wed, 15 Apr 2009 11:29:41 -0700:

AFAIK, all news servers have had test groups practically
since they started. It is amazing how the news has not
reached some people, tho' I have to admit that it is possible
to make a mistake.

The problem with this is that by using your own ISP's news
server you are only testing whether your message propagates to
other users of your ISP and not globally.

True enough but you don't usually just have one news server available if
you are feeling paranoid. There are many free servers all of which have
test groups. I usually use three, necessarily so since Verizon does not
carry many of the groups that interest me and, for Microsoft topics, the
MS server is efficient and fast. There is overlap among servers too, for
example, news.motzarella.org carries the Microsoft groups and also most
of the pitiful few carried by Verizon.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old April 15th, 2009, 08:49 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
James Silverton[_2_]

wrote:

AFAIK, all news servers have had test groups practically
since they started. It is amazing how the news has not
reached some people, tho' I have to admit that it is
possible to make a mistake.

The problem with this is that by using your own ISP's news
server you are only testing whether your message propagates
to other users of your ISP and not globally.

Isn't that the reason for the globally accessible test
newsgroups like alt.test --

Unfortunately, alt.test is far from universal. It is not available on
Verizon or Microsoft tho' it is on motzarella. There is a Verizon test
group but it is 0.verizon.test. I have found that if I can post to any
news server's test group I can post to any group carried by that server,
unless it is a moderated group requiring registration.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old April 15th, 2009, 08:53 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

wrote:

AFAIK, all news servers have had test groups practically since they
started. It is amazing how the news has not reached some people, tho' I
have to admit that it is possible to make a mistake.

The problem with this is that by using your own ISP's news server
you are only testing whether your message propagates to other
users of your ISP and not globally.

Isn't that the reason for the globally accessible test newsgroups like alt.test

Since I can access alt.test only because it is a group kept on my
local news server it would still only tell me that I could post
to my local groups. It's not as if there were a central news
server somewhere.

Once upon a time you could send a test message to misc.test and a
whole bunch of servers carrying the group would send you