From French Fries to Freedom Fries and Back Again to FrenchFries

Old May 16th, 2010, 03:11 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Cathy L[_5_]

Default From French Fries to Freedom Fries and Back Again to French Fries

On Sat, 15 May 2010 16:37:05 +0200, Josef Kleber
wrote:

Am 15.05.2010 16:18, schrieb Mark Brader:
Earl Evleth:
I will note that French Fries don't exist in France. They are
called "pommes frites".

But even there, they are misnamed since "pommes" are apples.

Pommes de terre are [potatores] but noboy every
says "pomme de terre frites". Often "pommes frites"
is shortened to "frites", like French fries become "fries" ...

On the other hand, in German-speaking countries, "pommes frites"
is often shortened to "pommes". And although the French spelling
is used, the prounciation is Germanized, with the -es sounded
(in both words, if both are used).

Not really! ;-)

There might be regional differences, but the general use is 'pommes' or
'pomm frits'

Josef

What kind of oil are they cooked in over there?

Cathy L

Old May 16th, 2010, 10:10 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
martin

wrote:

Am 15.05.2010 16:18, schrieb Mark Brader:
Earl Evleth:
I will note that French Fries don't exist in France. They are
called "pommes frites".

But even there, they are misnamed since "pommes" are apples.

Pommes de terre are [potatores] but noboy every
says "pomme de terre frites". Often "pommes frites"
is shortened to "frites", like French fries become "fries" ...

On the other hand, in German-speaking countries, "pommes frites"
is often shortened to "pommes". And although the French spelling
is used, the prounciation is Germanized, with the -es sounded
(in both words, if both are used).

Not really! ;-)

There might be regional differences, but the general use is 'pommes' or
'pomm frits'

Josef

What kind of oil are they cooked in over there?

BP Gulf of Mexico crude
Old May 19th, 2010, 08:23 AM posted to soc.retirement,rec.travel.europe
Surreyman[_3_]

On 18 May, 22:33, Martin wrote:
On 18/05/10 19:44, Tom P wrote:

Martin wrote:
On 18/05/10 12:52, Tom P wrote:
Earl Evleth wrote:
On 14/05/10 18:46, in article
,
"mg" wrote:

French fries back on House menu
I will note that French Fries don't exist in France. They are
called "pommes frites".

But even there, they are misnamed since "pommes" are apples.

Pommes de terre are French fries but noboy every
says "pomme de terre frites". *Often "pommes frites"
is shortened to "frites", like French fries become "fries"

My father used to sing some kind of doggerel which I suppose he picked
up in the war:
cafe au lait, au lait, au lait,
pommes de terre frites, frites, frites...

All this to the tune of Que sera, sera.

Isn't Que sera, sera from the 1950s? )

Well, maybe the composer heard somebody singing cafe au lait, au lait,
and thought hey, that sounds like a good melody. ;=))

LOL

Does the Boyce Welsh national anthem still get sung?

"And we were singing
Hymns and arias
Land of my fathers
Ar Hyd Y Nos"

:-))
Old May 19th, 2010, 06:21 PM posted to soc.retirement,rec.travel.europe
mikeos

The abbreviation I like is "Dinde" for turkey. Short for "Coq d'Inde"
(Chicken from India), as the assumption was that the turkey originated
there.