DENTAL EMERGENCY in Ft. Lauderdale

Old March 31st, 2004, 08:23 PM
S.J. Warren

Default DENTAL EMERGENCY in Ft. Lauderdale

I just returned from my cruise on the Millie last weekend, and wanted to
pass on some good news reharding a fantastic dentist I was fortunate to
have found when a portion of my crown fell out on the plane en route to
Florida. Got there Saturday evening and would be on the ship the
following afternoon....

Panic!!! No dentist takes insurance out of state, let alone practices
on a Saturday night. A friend suggested I call the concierge at the
Harbour View Marriott to see of they could recommend someone.
Boy,was that the idea of the century. This amazing woman answered the
phone and told me hop in a cab and come on over.
I asked what it would cost, and she said if she only had to cement the
piece back in there would be no charge....if a temporary was necessary
maybe $75-100. Where I come from in Maryland, that would never have
happened, I can assure you. She waited 30 minutes for me to get there
and cemented it back, then refused to take any payment!!!!!!!

Below I have posted parts of the email she just sent me in response to
my 'thank you'.....I suggest you keep it in a travel folder for future
reference.

I also wrote a long letter to the Florida Dental Society praising her
for her generosity and time and kindness. One does not come accross
this sort of thing any more....it was quite an experience, and one that
I shall never forget.

Here's the letter:
Sorry for all the long gaps between this point and the 2 parts of the
letter.....

"Dear Susan,
Thank you very much for your kind words. You really made my day! Yes,
you have my permission to promote me however you like !VBG! but please
let people know that I practice with my brother, Gary Kodish (it's his
office) and I only see patients on Thursdays and one Saturday a month
because I teach fulltime at Nova SE Dental School. As I said, I do live
close enough that I will come in for emergencies if I can.

Jodi Kodish-Stav, DDS FAGD
===============================
301 SE 16th ST
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316
954-42-5252
http://www.kodish.com
e-mail
-----
Assistant Professor
NSU College of Dental Medicine
3200 S. University DR
Davie, FL 33328
e-mail:

"God Bless the Marine Corps and all our military....."

Old March 31st, 2004, 10:11 PM
Jaime A. Cruz

S.J. Warren wrote:
[...]

Thanks. It's good to be reminded that there ARE good people out there.
Sadly, more and more they seem to be few and far between.

--
Jaime A. Cruz
Secretary
Old March 31st, 2004, 10:42 PM
Diva

This is wonderful to read. There are so many fine professionals in many
fields who do what they do because they love what they do. There is a
dentist in our area named Patrick Genrich (Michigan) that came to my
parents' home when my dad was dying from ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease). My dad
had a sore spot on a tooth that was irritating his tongue, and Dr. Genrich
came to the house and fixed it. My mom attempted to give him some money --
he had come about 10 miles out of his way to do this after working all day
long -- and he wouldn't take anything for his services. Now THAT is a
wonderful person.

June

Old April 1st, 2004, 12:28 AM
Cruzinsure

This brings up something I've been meaning to mention for a while.

CSA allows any traveler access to their emergency hotline services at no
charge. This is great when you're away from home and need a referral to a
doctor/lawyer/dentist or lose your wallet and need help getting credit cards
cancelled and replaced, need to get an emergency message home, need help
changing travel arrangements, need a translator, etc. For example, if this
emergency would have happened in Turkey they could refer the cruiser to an
English-speaking dentist who was available to handle the problem on short
notice.

There's no charge to sign up for the service and if you need to call for
assistance it's toll free or collect from anywhere in the world.

Call CSA at 800-493-5199 and tell them you want to register for their Traveler
Hotline Card. They'll need a little info (names, travel dates, destination,
etc) to get you entered in the system. Of course, they'd love it if you also
decided to purchase a full policy but just tell them "no" and there's no
pressure. You do need to register for each trip. After the trip is finished
you're dropped from the system.

Also, I've never known CSA to send out any spam or junk mail so I wouldn't
worry about that. What they're hoping for is that the next time you do need a
policy you'll think of them first.
Old April 1st, 2004, 01:35 AM
Jo-Ann

Geez, I thought my brother was the only dentist who practices like
that. I once helped my brother with his office bookkeeping. I was
horrified to see how much he just "swipes" off a person's bill because
of various reasons (lost employment, illness, no insurance). It drove
me crazy that he works such long hours and so often will take no money
(sometimes his patients bring him food because they don't have the
funds to pay him, because they are on a fixed income). But you know
what...he still lives well and can look himself in the mirror every
day and feel good about the kind of person he is. Not a lot of people
can say that.

Jo-Ann

Old April 1st, 2004, 05:37 AM
Jean O'Boyle

"Jo-Ann" wrote in message
om...
Geez, I thought my brother was the only dentist who practices like
that. I once helped my brother with his office bookkeeping. I was
horrified to see how much he just "swipes" off a person's bill because
of various reasons (lost employment, illness, no insurance).

Jo-Ann and Susan and all who posted their wonderful experiences~there are a
lot of really good and unselfish people in the world. The problem is that
the press is always concentrating on the bad ones for sensationalism. Good
people don't sell newspapers or make TV very often~not as often as they
should, anyway.

--Jean

Old April 2nd, 2004, 05:14 AM
Cruising Chrissy

On 1 Apr 2004 17:18:57 -0800, (Jo-Ann)
wrote:

Jean, how very right you are!!! Trolls suck!!

Jo-Ann!!!

LOL

Secretary, Girls' Club.

Old April 2nd, 2004, 09:52 PM
Dory Samuels

Default DENTAL EMERGENCY in Ft. Lauderdale...well deserved.

That old saying is so true......."What goes around, comes around."
Susan is the angel sending all those many, many care packages to the
middle east for our service personel. God bless you Susan.

~Dory~