fees into Yosemite National Park won't be raised

Old June 22nd, 2007, 04:28 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

Default fees into Yosemite National Park won't be raised

http://sonoracalifornia.blogspot.com...stay-same.html

Entrance fees into Yosemite National Park won't be raised next year as
originally planned.

National Park Service Director Mary Bomar granted a waiver allowing
gate fees to remain at $20 per vehicle, not rising to $25 in January.

"If they go up, the earliest it would be is January of 2009," said
park spokesman Scott Gediman.

Craig Maxwell - who owns Sugar Pine Ranch, four miles east of
Groveland - was pleased to hear of the reversal.

"It's an excellent decision on the part of the Park Service
considering the local economy, the price of gas and the fact that
visitation is down," he said.

Since 1996, the park's visitation has slowly decreased from nearly 4.2
million to roughly 3.3 million last year.

read more----http://sonoracalifornia.blogspot.com/2007/06/yosemite-
fees-to-stay-same.html

Old June 23rd, 2007, 05:03 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sharx35

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Doubling fees to enter National Parks would make them more enjoyable for the
rest of us--smaller crowds, line-ups, etc..

Old June 23rd, 2007, 05:51 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Calif Bill

"sharx35" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Make it so the poor people can not visit. Sounds like a plan. Conceited
poof.

Old June 23rd, 2007, 06:01 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sharx35

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
k.net...

"sharx35" wrote in message
> [...]

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Yet they can afford thousands a year for booze, cigarettes and illegal
drugs.

Old June 23rd, 2007, 07:47 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Hatunen

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 04:51:38 GMT, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

"sharx35" wrote in message

Doubling fees to enter National Parks would make them more enjoyable for
the rest of us--smaller crowds, line-ups, etc..

Make it so the poor people can not visit. Sounds like a plan. Conceited
poof.

Get real. if these poor people an get to Yosemite, a trip that
will cost them a fair chunk of cash, a $25 fee won't be enough to
stop them in their tracks. Of course, I've got a senior pass, $8
when I got it, and it's good for the rest of my life and for
every one in the car.

Old June 23rd, 2007, 08:36 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Peter Lawrence

wrote:

"sharx35" wrote in message

Doubling fees to enter National Parks would make them more enjoyable for
the rest of us--smaller crowds, line-ups, etc..

Make it so the poor people can not visit. Sounds like a plan. Conceited
poof.

Get real. if these poor people can get to Yosemite, a trip that
will cost them a fair chunk of cash, a $25 fee won't be enough to
stop them in their tracks. Of course, I've got a senior pass, $8
when I got it, and it's good for the rest of my life and for
every one in the car.

Before the entrance fee was raised from $7 to $20, there were a lot more
lower-income working class people who used to visit Yosemite for a day.
They used to bring in their own food and picnic at the designated
picnic sites located throughout the valley. It was a nice way for them
to spend a day in the park.

A lot of low-income people (in the hundred of thousands) live within an
easy 2-hour drive from Yosemite Valley, and even now, with gasoline
costing $3.50/gallon, they probably wouldn't have to spend more than $30
in gas for the round-trip to and from Yosemite.

Once Yosemite's entrance fee was raised to $20, the number of them
visiting the park dropped substantially.

Even though the price increase didn't affect me personally in a major
way (I always bought the annual National Park Pass), I think the Park
Service did a major disservice to the American people by raising the
entrance fee so high.

The National Parks are for all of us, and not just for those of us, like
myself, who are well-off enough to easily afford the higher fees.

- Peter
Old June 23rd, 2007, 08:41 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sharx35

"Peter Lawrence" wrote in message
et...
wrote:

"sharx35" wrote in message

[...]

Oh, bull****. What kind of Parks experience can ANYONE have with millions of
people crawling over every square inch. Time for quotas and advance
reservations ONLY, even for day use.

Old June 23rd, 2007, 02:40 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
RJ

wrote:

"sharx35" wrote in message

Doubling fees to enter National Parks would make them more enjoyable for
the rest of us--smaller crowds, line-ups, etc..

Make it so the poor people can not visit. Sounds like a plan. Conceited
poof.

Get real. if these poor people an get to Yosemite, a trip that
will cost them a fair chunk of cash, a $25 fee won't be enough to
stop them in their tracks.

The drop in Yosemite attendance belies this claim.
Old June 23rd, 2007, 02:40 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
RJ

wrote:

"sharx35" wrote in message

[...]

I guess you've never left the main highway in a National Park, then.
Old June 23rd, 2007, 03:19 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

Oh, bull****. What kind of Parks experience can ANYONE have with millions of
people crawling over every square inch. Time for quotas and advance
reservations ONLY, even for day use.- Hide quoted text -

we were at yellowstone at the peak of capacity.....walk 100 yards
from any road and you are in a world of your own.....

reservations? Sheesh......love to go on a heavily planned vacation
with you......half the fun of state and national parks is dropping in
if time allows and having no destination in mind and ending up
somewhere amazing.....

Chuck