Gasoline prices around the world

Old April 21st, 2007, 11:40 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
nightjar

Default Gasoline prices around the world

"Markku Grönroos" wrote in message
.fi...
One source says that the retail price of unleaded (does the Brits still
use leaded gas as well)

We have LRP, lead replacement petrol, for use in cars that are not capable
of using unleaded.

is everything from 88.9 to 101.9 per litre in Britain.

However, buying the cheapest proved very expensive recently, when a large
number of cars needed their oxygen (lambda) sensors replaced, following
contamination of supermarket fuel.

So the most expensive fuel is almost 15% more expensive than the cheapest
gas.

The cheapest fuels tend to be near refineries and storage depots and the
expensive ones are small independent garages in remote areas. There will be
much smaller variations within a particular geographic area and I usually
see around 94-97p/l

And based on my experience here in Finland, prices have not been too
stable. 10% differences in very short time frames (132 is 5.6% more than
125). Naturally mechanism to settle retail prices can be totally different
in Britain but I doubt that.

Competition is the main factor and, with supermarkets selling cheap fuel to
attract buyers into their stores, a very powerful one. Prices in Britain
tend to be fairly stable for long periods.

Colin Bignell

Old April 21st, 2007, 12:00 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jim Ley

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 11:40:13 +0100, "nightjar" nightjar@insert my
surname here.uk.com wrote:

"Markku Grönroos" wrote in message
i.fi...
One source says that the retail price of unleaded (does the Brits still
use leaded gas as well)

We have LRP, lead replacement petrol, for use in cars that are not capable
of using unleaded.

is everything from 88.9 to 101.9 per litre in Britain.

However, buying the cheapest proved very expensive recently, when a large
number of cars needed their oxygen (lambda) sensors replaced, following
contamination of supermarket fuel.

Except supermarket fuel is often not the cheapest, and contamination
was by a wholesaler who provided fuel for many places, particularly
the most expensive places which tend to be as you note in independant
rural areas.

Jim.
Old April 21st, 2007, 12:30 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
The Reid

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 15:09:17 -0400, Viking
wrote:

Compilation of unleaded gasoline prices in US $ per US gallon around
the world, by USA Today. Amazing--compare the UK to Venezuela:

United Kingdom $8.37

hopefully one day the UK will walke up to the desirability of high
fuel prices, but i'm not holding my breath.
--
Mike Reid
UK walking, food, photos "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
Old April 21st, 2007, 12:42 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
The Reid

surname here.uk.com wrote:

However, buying the cheapest proved very expensive recently, when a large
number of cars needed their oxygen (lambda) sensors replaced, following
contamination of supermarket fuel.

it wasn't a supermarket issue.

Old April 21st, 2007, 07:34 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
RAK

wrote:

hopefully one day the UK will walke up to the desirability of high
fuel prices, but i'm not holding my breath.

LOL, US not UK.
--
Mike Reid

I was wondering....I thought it was high enough for me in the UK!

PS You are not Mike Reid ex Lauriston etc are you?

Old April 22nd, 2007, 06:54 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Vainglorious

wrote:

Compilation of unleaded gasoline prices in US $ per US gallon around
the world, by USA Today. Amazing--compare the UK to Venezuela:

United States $2.88

Prices vary wildly in different parts of the US. This number may be an
accurate aggregate, but around here (Canadian border of Washington
State) it's about $3.25. Still cheap IMHO. But I do drive a
fuel-efficient Japanese car, not a giant lumbering SUV from the dolts
in Detroit. I'd like to say I feel sorry for those morons dumping $250
a month into their enormous 4WD Ford Exploitations just so they can
drive two little kids to ballet classes, but I don't. **** 'em.

- TR

Old April 22nd, 2007, 11:57 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Icono Clast

VainGlorious wrote:
Viking wrote:
United States $2.88

Prices vary wildly in different parts of the US. This number may be an
accurate aggregate, but around here (Canadian border of Washington
State) it's about $3.25.

My corner station, usually among the lowest priced in town, is $3.36.
There's a gas station in Marin County that's usually 15¢ cheaper.
With an 18-gallon tank, that's $2.70 a fill, real money, so I always
stop there when I'm that far from home.

I'd like to say I feel sorry for those morons dumping $250 a month
into their enormous 4WD Ford Exploitations just so they can drive
two little kids to ballet classes, but I don't. **** 'em.

You've expressed my sentiments.

Old April 22nd, 2007, 08:16 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Stephen Dailey

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 03:57:33 -0700, Icono Clast wrote:

VainGlorious wrote:
Viking wrote:
United States $2.88

Prices vary wildly in different parts of the US. This number may be an
accurate aggregate, but around here (Canadian border of Washington
State) it's about $3.25.

My corner station, usually among the lowest priced in town, is $3.36.
There's a gas station in Marin County that's usually 15¢ cheaper. With
an 18-gallon tank, that's $2.70 a fill, real money, so I always stop
there when I'm that far from home.

I'd like to say I feel sorry for those morons dumping $250 a month
into their enormous 4WD Ford Exploitations just so they can drive
two little kids to ballet classes, but I don't. **** 'em.

You've expressed my sentiments.

When I was a little kid in the late 60s and early 70s (in the Seattle
area), we had a Peugeot sedan. It was much smaller than domestic cars
available at the time. Somehow, Mom, Dad, my brother, and I got around in
it just fine, including road trips. I wonder what's so different today
that people think they need behemoth vehicles?

Oh yeah, I remember filling up for $3, full serve.

===
Steve
Shoreline, Washington USA

22 Apr 2007, 1115 PDT
Old April 22nd, 2007, 09:26 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Calif Bill

wrote:

Compilation of unleaded gasoline prices in US $ per US gallon around
the world, by USA Today. Amazing--compare the UK to Venezuela:

United States $2.88

Prices vary wildly in different parts of the US. This number may be an
accurate aggregate, but around here (Canadian border of Washington
State) it's about $3.25. Still cheap IMHO. But I do drive a
fuel-efficient Japanese car, not a giant lumbering SUV from the dolts
in Detroit. I'd like to say I feel sorry for those morons dumping $250
a month into their enormous 4WD Ford Exploitations just so they can
drive two little kids to ballet classes, but I don't. **** 'em.

- TR

One of those $50-60,000 Japanese cars?