Nova Scotia - Cape Breton Island

Old October 13th, 2003, 10:41 AM
Christoph Baeck

Default Nova Scotia - Cape Breton Island

Hi there,

I'm flying with a friend to Halifax in the last week of october. We (30
yrs) are planning to go to Cape Breton Island to see Sydney (is it worth a
visit?) and the Cabot Trail.

Does someone have a 'special' hint apart from the tourist routes (a nice
spot, a scenic view, a good restaurant/bar/hotel, a spectacular tour) or
any other hint that may be useful?

I assume that the weather is similar to the weather here in Austria -
probably rainy & windy, between 10 and 15 deg. celsius - are there any
links to a longer weather forecast than the usual 3 days on the official
canadian tourist pages?

Thx in advance for your help.

Christoph

Innsbruck/Austria

Old October 14th, 2003, 12:35 AM
TheNewsGuy(Mike)

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 11:41:43 +0200, "Christoph Baeck"
wrote:

...are there any
links to a longer weather forecast than the usual 3 days

here is a "5 day" for Sydney, NS.
http://www.theweathernetwork.com/wea...s/CANS0145.htm

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ The News Guy(Mike) - Seinfeld Lists
+ (two mirrored sites)
+ http://membres.lycos.fr/tnguym
+ http://waveprohosting.com/tnguym
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Old October 17th, 2003, 06:12 AM
xyz

I did a quick tour of the Cabot Trail this past summer. If you tour
the Cabot Trail, make sure you take the scenic route through Neils
Harbour and stop at the Chowder House. The seafood is very
affordable. A steaming plate of mussels can be had for $5 Cdn. And
the crab sandwich is to die for. If you like oysters, stop off at
this oyster/campground place along the Trail (think it's between Neils
Harbour and Pleasant Bay). They catch fresh oysters every day off
Asby Bay.

See my site: www/pbase.com/golfpic for some Cape Breton pics. The
Hopewell Rocks may be worth visiting too in Moncton, Newbrunswick.

Old October 27th, 2003, 02:39 AM
David

Hi Christoph!

Here are a few suggestions.

1) Most people would say that they much prefer the Cabot Trail over
Sydney. The Cabot Trail is rustic and wooded, as a visitor from
Austria might want to see. Sydney is a small industrial city. It has
shopping centers.

2) On your trip on the Cabot Trail, get off at the northernmost point
to go still further north to Bay St. Lawrence, a small fishing port on
an enclosed pond.

3) If you're going to the Sydney area anyway, visit Glace Bay, 15
minutes drive east of Sydney, for a slightly different flavor or an
aging Cape Breton town. Glace Bay was a mining community, and you can
still visit the coal mines.

4) Intellicast has the best ten-day forecast, and it's at least as
reliable as the government weather office: www.intellicast.com
Select "Find a forecast" and enter "Sidney" [mis-spelled, I know] or
Cheticamp. For Tuesday the 4th of November, the forecast is sunny,
High 10; Low 1 C.

Let me know if I can help further!

David

Old November 20th, 2003, 06:17 PM
JeffS

There's a couple things near Sydney that we enjoyed. Louisbourg is a
little ways outside Sydney. We spent almost a whole day there and
loved it. And in Baddeck there's an Alexander Graham Bell museum that
was pretty neat.

I also thought there was some Marconi museum in Glace Bay, but we
didn't go there.

JS