Canival vs. RCC

Old March 30th, 2004, 04:39 AM
Chris Aguilera

Default Canival vs. RCC

Is there that big a difference between Royal Carribean and Carnival? I am
planning on a cruise in October but I hear that Carni is more party
orienated and RCC is more reserved. Is this true? Which is the better one.?
I don't like the idea of being on a ship full of senior citizens.
I can book a RCC with a oceanview for less than $600.00 total with taxes and
fees which is cheaper than what Carnival wanted but Carni has the larger
staterooms.

Old March 30th, 2004, 04:34 PM
Bob and Amy

Hi Chris, Try RCCI's Voyager class ships. They will have EVERYTHING you
need. Don't worry about the mix of passengers. With the exception of
maybe Holland America, you will find plenty of people of all ages, with
the emphasis on the 25-50 range.
B&A

Old March 30th, 2004, 10:43 PM
Jo-Ann

I'm guessing if the original poster said she can get it for so much
less than Carnival, she's not looking at the Voyager class ships. And
the fact that she mentions the Carnival balconies are bigger means
she's probably looking at one of RCI's older ships.

FWIW, I think the service on RCI is better, but food is better on
Carnival.

Jo-Ann

Old March 31st, 2004, 04:19 AM
Tom & Linda

I would also echo the suggestion to look at RCI's Voyager class ships.
Totally unique. Ice skating rink (ice shows at night), rock climbing walls,
in-line skating track.

Carnival has very "unusual" interior designs (some seem to love it while
others find it almost dizzying/nauseating) with things like large Urns all
over the ship, pink metallic corrugated sheet metal paneling all over
Destiny, etc. RCI ships are more like Hyatt Hotels. Very traditional.

Personally I don't think either has very good food or service. Food and
service on my Carnival Destiny cruise (about 3 years ago) was so bad I've
never considered going back. Buffet selections were very lacking. RCI food
is maybe one notch up. Though in truth, both are pretty much below my
minimum acceptable level. I won't eat seafood on either anymore. And on my
recent RCI Navigator sailing, I typically left half my dinner each night.

On the other hand many people love the food on both RCI and Carnival. We're
all different, and different likes and dislikes.

Carnival does have larger cabins, but RCI's cabins were more nicely finished
and appointed. Less bare bones than the cabin we had on Destiny.

I would go on RCI only if it were either a special group sailing with
friends, or a Voyager ship for the uniqueness. I don't think there would be
any reason I'd ever consider Carnival again. Once was more than enough for
me.

Personally if I'm going to spend my money, I'd rather go on Celebrity or
Princess. Or at least RCI's Voyager class.

--Tom

Old March 31st, 2004, 04:29 AM
clint

The cow and I enjoyed the poolside parties and bunnyhops. Unfortunately no
wife swapping! haha
. net...

Old March 31st, 2004, 06:52 AM
Linsifer

But if you do happen to try a Spirit class Carnival you'll be pleasantly
surprised in many respects...food being one of them. From what I've heard from
a lot of folks here, Carnival's food is better, so it might be safe to say it
could even be more than a notch UP than RCI. I even enjoyed my food on
Carnival's older ships.

Lindsay

Old March 31st, 2004, 03:48 PM
Dave Withers

There is a substantial difference between these two lines. The age group on
Carnival will tend to be younger, but there have always been a very good age
mix on RCCL cruises. We think RCCL is "better" - better food, shows,
activities. We spend do little time in the stateroom, that size doesn't
matter.

Old April 1st, 2004, 01:09 AM
Tom & Linda

"Linsifer" wrote in message
But if you do happen to try a Spirit class Carnival you'll be pleasantly
surprised in many respects...

But if there are 20 Princess and Celebrity ships we've never even been on...
why bother trying a Spirit class Carnival ship? Why not just stick with
Celebrity and Princess instead? Or, I enjoyed Norwegian Dawn so much... why
not just go on her again?

--Tom

Old April 1st, 2004, 02:10 AM
Jean O'Boyle

"Tom & Linda" wrote in message
. net...
But if there are 20 Princess and Celebrity ships we've never even been

on...
why bother trying a Spirit class Carnival ship? Why not just stick with
Celebrity and Princess instead? Or, I enjoyed Norwegian Dawn so much...

why
not just go on her again?

--Tom

Tom, because variety is the spice of life! ;-)

--Jean