Cruise ship hits oil tanker !!!

Old October 8th, 2004, 10:38 PM
steinbrenner

Default Cruise ship hits oil tanker !!!

Yankees in 4

http://icseftonandwestlancs.icnetwor...ws/tm_objectid
=14732953%26method=full%26siteid=60252%26headline= star%2ds%2ddad%2din%
2dordeal%2don%2dcruise-name_page.html

Star's dad in ordeal on cruise Oct 8 2004

By Greg O'Keeffe, Southport Visiter

THE father of TV star Claire Sweeney was left shaken when the cruise
ship he was working on smashed into a giant oil tanker.

Al Brown, 56, from Ainsdale, was on the deck of the Van Gogh when it
collided with the 80,000 tonne tanker in thick fog off Gibraltar.

The professional comedian had been entertaining hundreds of British
tourists on board the luxury liner which was en-route to Tangiers.

He said: "I was walking to my cabin when this giant thing just loomed
out of nowhere and I thought 'bloody hell we're going to hit it.'

"The skipper started blowing his whistle and he tried to swerve and
avoid it but I heard this deafening crunch.

"Then the deck started ripping up and there was chaos. The crew
prevented a far more serious accident.

"That tanker was carrying thousands of tonnes of crude oil and we
crashed into it. Thankfully, nobody was seriously hurt."

Father-of-four Al, of Liverpool Road, was flown to Morocco with
hundreds of other shaken passengers after the collision.

He added: "There was no way the ship could sail on, it had to go back
to Gibraltar for a damage assessment. I've been doing the cruise ships
for ages. It was a shame because that cruise was going really well
until then, but they looked after everyone."

The Van Gogh, which was carrying 476 passengers, was a mile and a half
outside port when the collision happened at

12.45pm on Sunday, September 26.

Retired merchant seaman William Allinson, from Southport, was also
onboard. The 77-year-old said: "It was horrific.

"Ever since it happened I've been in shock. I was watching us sail out
of the port when someone shouted out.

"People around me dived on the floor but I was frozen with terror and
the crash sent me flying.

"I haven't slept well since it happened, I keep seeing this giant ship
coming at me. I cut my arm badly and also needed a tetanus jab - we
should get some compensation.

"It was zero visibility and I think the captain should have been
blowing his fog horn. I dread to think what could have happened had the
crash sparked a fire. The tanker was packed with crude oil."

Tour operator Travelscope said an investigation into the "unfortunate
incident" has been launched.

Old October 9th, 2004, 04:17 PM
haco

Please for more info go to my site www.nedcruise.info to the page News -
Item Accidents with a good end.- incl. image of the bow of the "van Goch".
Rgds.
Haco

"steinbrenner" schreef in bericht
news:cG9uZGVydGU=.aeaa9789c91bad0f889865d68470a145 @1097271525.nulluser.com...

Old October 10th, 2004, 01:20 AM
Dick Goldhaber

"steinbrenner" wrote in message
news:cG9uZGVydGU=.aeaa9789c91bad0f889865d68470a145 @1097271525.nulluser.com..
..

Yankees in 4

Didn't happen, did it?

I am sure that Steinbrenner isn't going to comment, and as much as I hate
the Red Sox, I cannot root for the Yankees because of him.
--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ

Old October 10th, 2004, 02:56 AM
steinbrenner

Dick Goldhaber wrote:

Yankees in 4

Didn't happen, did it?

I am sure that Steinbrenner isn't going to comment, and as much as I
hate the Red Sox, I cannot root for the Yankees because of him.

You turned off the game too early. Hop aboard, still plenty of room on
the Yankee bandwagon.

Old October 11th, 2004, 12:04 AM
Cruisenuts

Sox in Six