Does Vietnam require onward plane tickets?

Old May 6th, 2004, 03:57 AM
 @X.

Default Does Vietnam require onward plane tickets?

I headed to Vietnam in two weeks. I'll be flying into Danang on a
flight from Bangkok. I just have a one way ticket and plan to
purchase a domestic ticket to Saigon and then exit the country by
flying from Saigon to Phnom Penh Cambodia. As far as I can tell it is
much cheaper to buy the tickets for the flights originating in Vietnam
once I arrive than to try to purchase them from a foreign travel agent
but I was wondering if Vietnam requires tourists to show proof of
onward tickets. I've seen conflicting "official" information but I
would be curious to hear from anyone who has actually been to Vietnam
recently who can relate if Vietnamese immigration actually looks at
onward travel arrangements.
Old May 6th, 2004, 09:29 AM
me

I think 'officially' it's required but in practise I would think
nobody bothers. I entered Vietnam a couple of times overland and was
never asked for onward tickets. If you fly in and they do ask about
onward tickets just tell them you will take a pick-up truck from
Saigon to Phnom Penh.

Old May 6th, 2004, 11:22 AM
Sebastian Millies

The state of Vietnam does not require onward tickets. However,
some airlines may do so. Air France once sold me a ticket to Hanoi
but then wouldn't fly me there because I did not have a valid
onward or return ticket within my visa time frame. Seemingly,
they feared being fined. Other airlines didn't care, so make sure
you ask them before buying the ticket.

-- Sebastian

Old May 7th, 2004, 04:43 AM
Bruce Burger

Often, even if a country requires an onward ticket for entry, they
will accept an onward ticket from a nearby country back to your home,
since that is good evidence that you intend to return home. But I'm
not sure what Vietnam's rule is (either official or de facto).
Old May 7th, 2004, 06:40 AM
Sjoerd

@X. schreef in bericht
I headed to Vietnam in two weeks. I'll be flying into Danang on a
flight from Bangkok. I just have a one way ticket and plan to
purchase a domestic ticket to Saigon and then exit the country by
flying from Saigon to Phnom Penh Cambodia. As far as I can tell it is
much cheaper to buy the tickets for the flights originating in Vietnam
once I arrive than to try to purchase them from a foreign travel agent
but I was wondering if Vietnam requires tourists to show proof of
onward tickets. I've seen conflicting "official" information but I
would be curious to hear from anyone who has actually been to Vietnam
recently who can relate if Vietnamese immigration actually looks at
onward travel arrangements.

I have entered Vietnam 8 times in the last 7 months and have never been
asked for a return ticket. I entered on a multiple entry business visa.
Your main problem is going to be the airline bringing you to Vietnam.

Sjoerd