Interesting US Passport Statistics...

Old September 10th, 2003, 06:27 AM
 @X.

Default Interesting US Passport Statistics...

On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 05:50:54 GMT, mrtravel
wrote:

Mike Cordelli wrote:

You have to remember that many people don't wait the full ten years to renew
it, they do it when it's full, when they lose it, etc. Also, I believe
little ones only get a passport valid for five years.

Why renew when it is full, you could just get pages added?

Maybe you don't wan't you new girlfriend to ask you about all those
visa stamps for Thailand, and the Philippines when you told her you
were visiting your mother in Nebraska those weeks.
Old September 10th, 2003, 08:23 AM
Simon Elliott

*@X.* writes

Why renew when it is full, you could just get pages added?

Maybe you don't wan't you new girlfriend to ask you about all those
visa stamps for Thailand, and the Philippines when you told her you
were visiting your mother in Nebraska those weeks.

The UK allows its citizens to have several passports if they can justify
this for business reasons.
--
Simon Elliott
http://www.ctsn.co.uk/

Old September 10th, 2003, 09:38 AM
mrtravel

Simon Elliott wrote:
@X. writes

Why renew when it is full, you could just get pages added?

Maybe you don't wan't you new girlfriend to ask you about all those
visa stamps for Thailand, and the Philippines when you told her you
were visiting your mother in Nebraska those weeks.

The UK allows its citizens to have several passports if they can justify
this for business reasons.

How would you justify several?

Old September 10th, 2003, 10:15 AM
Simon Elliott

mrtravel writes
The UK allows its citizens to have several passports if they can justify
this for business reasons.

How would you justify several?

Some countries won't allow you to enter, or won't give you a business
visa, if you have stamps or visas from other countries.

In my own case:

1/ I had an Israeli exit stamp in my passport and a need to apply for a
business visa for several middle eastern countries. Sometimes Israeli
immigration would stamp a separate sheet on entry which you could
present on exit, but this was up to the discretion of the immigration
officer. (I don't know if they still do this.)

2/ I had a Libyan visa in my passport which apparently could lead to
unnecessary excitement when entering at least one other middle eastern
country.

3/ Some consulates hang on to your passport for an age (up to several
weeks) while processing a business visa application. I needed to go
somewhere else during this time, so I needed another passport.

Both of the oil exploration companies I worked for had contacts at FCO
and could obtain an extra passport by next working day without any
action from the employee who needed the passport.

I only ever had two valid passports at any one time, but several of my
colleagues who travelled more frequently had three.
--
Simon Elliott
http://www.ctsn.co.uk/

Old September 10th, 2003, 10:52 AM
James Anatidae

"mrtravel" wrote in message
. ..
Simon Elliott wrote:
@X. writes
Why renew when it is full, you could just get pages added?

Maybe you don't wan't you new girlfriend to ask you about all those
visa stamps for Thailand, and the Philippines when you told her you
were visiting your mother in Nebraska those weeks.

The UK allows its citizens to have several passports if they can justify
this for business reasons.

How would you justify several?

I have two passports, thanks to my dual citizenship. Neither government
seems to have a problem with it.

Old September 10th, 2003, 05:15 PM
mrtravel

James Anatidae wrote:

"mrtravel" wrote in message
. ..

Simon Elliott wrote:

@X. writes

Why renew when it is full, you could just get pages added?

Maybe you don't wan't you new girlfriend to ask you about all those
visa stamps for Thailand, and the Philippines when you told her you
were visiting your mother in Nebraska those weeks.

The UK allows its citizens to have several passports if they can justify
this for business reasons.

How would you justify several?

I have two passports, thanks to my dual citizenship. Neither government
seems to have a problem with it.

I think he was talking about multiple passports from a single country
..

Old September 10th, 2003, 07:46 PM
Blatt

"James Anatidae" wrote in message ...
"mrtravel" wrote in message

The UK allows its citizens to have several passports if they can

justify
this for business reasons.

How would you justify several?

A U.S. diplomatic courier can have four or five passports -- as many
as s/he needs since they are always being held up waiting for visas.

Similarly, with a valid reason (other than the anti-Israel boycott of
Arab and Muslim countries, as to which there is a US legal impediment)
some US private citizens have been able to get more than one U.S.
passport.
Old September 10th, 2003, 07:56 PM
Simon Elliott

mrtravel writes
The UK allows its citizens to have several passports if they can justify
this for business reasons.

How would you justify several?

I have two passports, thanks to my dual citizenship. Neither government
seems to have a problem with it.

I think he was talking about multiple passports from a single country

Yes. Since the original thread was about the US, does anyone know if
this is common in the US?
--
Simon Elliott
http://www.ctsn.co.uk/

Old September 10th, 2003, 09:12 PM
Simon Elliott

Blatt writes
(other than the anti-Israel boycott of
Arab and Muslim countries, as to which there is a US legal impediment)

I've not heard about this. Care to elaborate?

--
Simon Elliott
http://www.ctsn.co.uk/

Old September 10th, 2003, 09:47 PM
Sjoerd

"Simon Elliott" schreef in bericht
mrtravel writes
[...]

I also currently have two valid passports. (Netherlands citizen). A short
letter from my employer "that I travel a lot" was all that was needed. When
one of the passports is at a consulate for a visa to be processed (for some
countries that takes up to two weeks), I can travel on my other passport.

Sjoerd