Sydney Youth Hostel Recommendations

Old March 6th, 2004, 01:47 AM
TanQ10

Default Sydney Youth Hostel Recommendations

Hi--

Going to Sydney for a week and would like to know of any centrally
located (close to public transport access, shops-cafes-galleries
nearby, walkable part of city) hostels that would be good for a single
female. I'd prefer the ones that have the option of a private room,
and under $30/night, and clean & safe in your experience (you've
stayed there). Initial googles came up with this site:

http://www.bootsnall.com/hostels/aus/syd/

Any comments or advice on what to do/not to do while hostelling in
Sydney?Thanks in advance for any helpful replies.
-T
Old March 6th, 2004, 05:42 AM
Gerrit 't Hart

$30US or AUD30?
Doubt if there is a backpackers or YHA which charges less than AUD30 for a
private room!
I know the Sydney Central YHA charges AUD82 for a twin private room. Doubt
if they will give you much discount for single occupancy.

Gerrit

om...

Old March 6th, 2004, 10:18 AM
Paul

Default Finding hostels... was Sydney Youth Hostel Recommendations

In article ,
says...
Going to Sydney for a week and would like to know of any centrally
located (close to public transport access, shops-cafes-galleries
nearby, walkable part of city) hostels.....

Initial googles came up with this site:

http://www.bootsnall.com/hostels/aus/syd/

Be careful searching for hostels using these sites that take online
bookings. They do not list all the hostels and they often state
something like "no online availability", which appears to suggest that a
hostel is full. This is often not the case, it can mean the hostel does
not have a relationship with the booking company, or the hostel
management hasn't allocated any beds to the booking system.

Many of these booking sites are affiliates of the same company
(hostelworld) and they therefore all use the same hostel database. They
will also list guest houses, instead of hostels, if a hostel is not
prepared to play ball and let them take commission on the bookings they
take. You could therefore look at one of these sites and think that
there is not a hostel in that town.

Much better to get your information from another source...
Old March 6th, 2004, 02:40 PM
Raffi Balmanoukian

in article , Paul at
wrote on 3/6/04 6:18 AM:

In article ,
says...
[...]

an up to date guidebook from an independent source for your travel area is a
good start (LP, Footprint, Let's Go, Rough Guides). Since these too are
inherently subjective (and, as LP in particular takes pains to point out,
things change), I'm inclined to use them as a "rough guide" only. Also, you
take on the risk of being part of the herd since everyone else has read the
same reviews.

For my dime, I'd use these sources to book nights 1 and perhaps 2, unless it
is one of those times that everything is going to be booked solid (eg Sydney
at New Year's or during the mardi gras) - then walk around and make your own
assessment on where you want to be from then on. I'm hard pressed to think
of a time I've ever been caught out entirely without a place to hang my
backpack by just pitching up at one to three places, even in high season.

Old March 7th, 2004, 04:01 AM
alfred

Paul wrote:

In article ,
says...

Going to Sydney for a week and would like to know of any centrally
located (close to public transport access, shops-cafes-galleries
nearby, walkable part of city) hostels.....

Initial googles came up with this site:

http://www.bootsnall.com/hostels/aus/syd/

Be careful searching for hostels using these sites that take online
bookings....

One site which is useful is the www.bugaustralia.com one which doesn't
actually do bookings, but has user reviews of many hostels throughout
the Pacific and gives hostels a chance to put their own booking
information with the review. I have used and contributed to this site.

There can be advantages to sites like the bootsnall one, as it gives a
chance to find some sort of accomodation from anywhere in the world and
it can be used alongside the bugaustralia site or a guide book for some
sort of commentary.

AS for the original question, my favourite would be Glebe YHA. Others
have reported favourably on the Glebe Village Backpackers, just along
the road.

Old March 7th, 2004, 09:27 AM
Jason

On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 14:40:27 +0000, Raffi Balmanoukian wrote:

assessment on where you want to be from then on. I'm hard pressed to think
of a time I've ever been caught out entirely without a place to hang my
backpack by just pitching up at one to three places, even in high

season.

Byron Bay is the only place it's ever happened to me. Accommodation always
seems to be tight there.

The YHA in Sydney looks good from the outside and it's in a good, central
location. You can book it online at www.yha.com.au

Jason

--
See http://www.scuba-addict.co.uk/ for UK diving reports including
trips to Plymouth, Weymouth, Falmouth, Exmouth and Scapa Flow

Old March 7th, 2004, 12:51 PM
Raffi Balmanoukian

in article , Jason at
wrote on 3/7/04 5:27 AM:

On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 14:40:27 +0000, Raffi Balmanoukian wrote:

assessment on where you want to be from then on. I'm hard pressed to think
of a time I've ever been caught out entirely without a place to hang my
backpack by just pitching up at one to three places, even in high

season.

Byron Bay is the only place it's ever happened to me. Accommodation always
seems to be tight there.

The YHA in Sydney looks good from the outside and it's in a good, central
location. You can book it online at
www.yha.com.au

Jason

There are at least three YHAs in Sydney - central (across from the railway
station), Glebe (kinda funky, much more personal, fewer amenities, and a
longer walk to the CBD although more than feasible) and a seasonal one on
the water.

Yes, Byon's accom. is usually fairly full up but again I've never had a
drama.

Old March 10th, 2004, 02:29 AM
Widya Santoso

(TanQ10) writes:

Hi--

Going to Sydney for a week and would like to know of any centrally
located (close to public transport access, shops-cafes-galleries
nearby, walkable part of city) hostels that would be good for a single
female. I'd prefer the ones that have the option of a private room,
and under $30/night, and clean & safe in your experience (you've
stayed there).

Not a hostel, but a pub/stay hotel. Assuming you're not from Australia,
hotels in the old days used to be a public bar on the ground floor, and
rooms for rent above. Nowadays public bars have converted their rooms but
there are still a few pub/stay places left.

The Clare Hotel is on 20 the Broadway, just a few minutes walk south then
west of Central Station. It's across from the Sydney Institute of
Technology, and right next door to Carlton and United Brewery. It's $35 a
night for a private room (with shared bathroom facilities)+ $20 key
deposit. The telephone number is (02) 9211-2839 (+61-2-9211-2839 if you
are calling from overseas). It's nice and clean, although it can get
noisy if there is a band playing and you're on the first floor. Really
very close to the city, very convenient.

Hope that helps!
--
Widya Santoso
+61 2 6288-0405
Old March 21st, 2004, 07:28 AM

On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 10:18:50 -0000, Paul wrote:

In article ,
says...
Going to Sydney for a week and would like to know of any centrally
located (close to public transport access, shops-cafes-galleries
nearby, walkable part of city) hostels.....

As I recall, there is a youth or student aid office right at the
Central RR Station in Sydney. The entrance is at street level on the
outside. Just ask around.

But don't limit yourself to Sydney. As wonderful as it is, surely
you'll want a great beach and more local small town flavor.

Take the ferry from Central Quay to Manly. There's a tourist office
right outside the entrance. Manly has a number of backpacing hotels
that cater to that trade. Manly has a fantastic beach scene. The fish
and chips at the Manly Fish and Chips shop a few blocks south of the
Corso are the best.

The last time I was in Australia I got on a train headed
north/northwest and got off at any town that caught my eye, walked
around for an hour or so to get the lay of it and never had trouble
finding a nice clean quiet and inexpensive room ($15AU) above a
tavern. Usially the bath was down the hall, no telly or phone, but who
needs 'em? I did that for a week, staying each night at a different
spot chosen spontaneosuly and wandering the town during the day before
my next afternoon train connection. At the end, I flew back to Sydney.

Great country. Wonderful people. Can't wait to return.

CaribeJoe - Moderator
Non-commercial My Caribbean.Info Forums
Free Caribbean Destination Directories
Free advice from Travel Writers
Post your own trip reports and photos
Hotel and Air Deals and Rough Guide Reports
http://www,mycaribbean.info